Raptor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this forum bit, but have a random question. I recently had a local dealership install an HMF slip-on to my 2018 Raptor 700r SE. Following install, on my first ride out, I was doing a wheelie after ripping around for maybe 10-15 minutes and the damn exhaust was so hot it burned THROUGH my riding pants near where the area behind your knee would be by rear fender when standing up (hope that makes sense). I have another Raptor, same year with a Maxxis slip-on and have never had any heat issues.

That said, I called HMF to explain to see if this was normal and he said it is running far too hot as I did not buy a Power Commander V. So, $480 later, do you all believe this will do the trick? Love the sound of the exhaust, but can’t afford to be burned each time out...thoughts?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hard to say but I would not think a slip on would do anything. Was the HMF portion on the pipe the oe the was burning you? If so they likely have different or thinner material that is getting hotter than the stock one. I know my pipe gets hot, without heat shields, I would think it would burn though just about anything. The PCV is a good investment though as any other upgrades you make you will need one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man - this helps. It was the pipe itself burning me, near the area where the pipe meets the rear fender. In terms of heat shields, is there a preferred brand I should look for?

·
Registered
493 Posts
I re- used the stock one. There is about a 3 inch long one that goes near the rear fender. Not sure what works with an hmf though.

·
Registered
906 Posts
My monster exhaust came with heat shields that attach with hose clamps. Maybe you can pick some up on their website and place them where you want.

Reactions: Sixpack577
1 - 5 of 5 Posts