Raptor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone tried to build there own grab bars etc? if so id like to no your thoughts on materials etc, im pretty crafty with my hands so im sure i could get away with making a grab bar for about half the price u pay for a new stock one.i like somethng along the looks of the DG Fat series grab bar i think its called, but not sure what type of material to use? any ideas would be apreciated
thx boys

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Most of them are made of Aluminum, like aircraft grade.

·
Registered
733 Posts
You could probly find some low cost aluminum pipe at a Home Depot and polish it up. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Aluminum would probably be closest to aftermarket. You could go with Stainless Steel, heavier but the same look. I couldnt tell ya what is cheaper. You could probably bend it with a torch and pliers, if you dont have a pipe bender. Let us know how it turns out, it i ever have to replace my stocker, i might try this.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thx alo boys stainless would probably be the better deal, althought i belive its more expensive its also alot more durable, probley go with the stainless, and polish it up real nice. or paint it flat black

·
Registered
455 Posts
if your going to put some type of coat on the grab bar you should just powder coaot so it wont flake off like paint.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
remember the primary purpose of the grab is to pre-absorb the force if you flip, wheelie back on your bar, ect.. (basically break to keep other things from damage) make it too strong and the stress follows down the subframe, and we all know the weak point of the frame is where the sub-frame connects..I have pics for proof.
Don't use high quality steel, a real mild steel , not too thick should work. don't add extra holes in the subframe to mount it more securely either. Just use the two on each side...
All this said IMO

·
Registered
14 Posts
pewterpecker said:
And bending steel with a torch and pliers will result in a lot of discoloration.
...and crappy looking bends.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts