Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today while powerwashing after a ride I noticed a 1 inch diameter stick through one of the knobs of my almost new HD's. I am concerned that when I remove it that will be the end of my tire. Anyone else get flats or things stuck in their HD's? I thought they were supposed to be almost fullproof.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah especially since they only have 8-10 hrs on 'em. Well looks like I may be trying the Razr2's sooner than I was thinking. Plus I just got a pair of mudlites I can put on in the meantime.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Through 1 of the knobs on into the tire?...chances are if it aint leaking now it didnt puncture the tire, my 1 HD has about 4 of the 6 plys ripped outta it in a section and it will go flat after about 3 days of sitting, but i just cant see a "stick" puncturing 1 of those tires

·
Registered
751 Posts
I have the HD's on my 700 and my wife has the hd's on her 350 and we havent had any problems yet. I do a lot of trail riding and run over a lot of shit but the tires hold up amazing.. I am very surprised

·
Registered
912 Posts
i had the same thing happen to one of my holeshot on the 660. Stick wasn't as thick as the one you describe but it was deep enough to destroy the tire. 8)

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I was thinking about buying the holeshot HD's but want to know if the Razrs have just has much treaction and are just as good??? anyone know?

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tommorrow in the daylight I will remove the stick and we will see if the HD's are bulletproof or if it's a myth.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I have the HD's .... I only trail ride.... im hard on my tires.... i ride where there are thorns and metal and fence posts sticking up out of the ground, and my HD's have held up perfect.... i am definantly going with HD's again.... i have probably 25 hours on my HD's and they still look pretty much the same as they did the day i got them...

Plattner

·
Registered
16 Posts
RaptorFreeeek said:
I totally understand you concern, although I don't have them. But I'm sure you can just stick a plug in it and be just fine.
If the tear is to long it wont work.I had to get mine rubber repaired.That works

·
Registered
965 Posts
If you hit that stick with any other tire...it probably would have had a very similar outcome. If a stick hits a tire just right...it wont matter how thick or how many plies your tires are...it will go through it.

My friend has had 2 bolts and 4 nails in the tires on his truck. Does that mean his tires are junk compared to mine? No. It just means that he drives in places that attract debris (construction sites, old buildings, etc...)

You just had a freak outcome when you met that certian stick. Hell...when I had my Foreman, a stick managed to find it's way through the steel skidplate and wedge itself in my rear driveshaft U-joint boot...

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did not say they were junk, in fact, I love them but I just thought they would last longer than 3 rides. I wasn't expecting a stick to pierce them that's all. I ride hard, in places with everything fom scrap metal to barbed wire on the ground, I only rode on the stock tires for 8 hrs and they were each plugged once, one still leaks and one has a 2 inch gash in it. I actually think I may be more at fault now that I am reading about the PSI everyone is running. I was running 7.5 psi all around and seems like most are in the 3.5-5 range. Oh well I haven't even removed the stick yet, they may still be okay but that's not usually my luck. Would anyone reccomend the Razr2's.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I bought a set of Razr 2's front tires from RT a little over a month ago. Each tire had 4 plugs in them. He said he ran over a hawthorn bush. Even 6-ply Razr's have their weaknesses.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well the results are in no leak but one of the lugs has a 1 inch hole almost right through it. Bad news is i bent a tie rod into a pretzel today.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Flynbyu said:
For best results, put some slime in your tires. The stuff works really well!

~Brian
As long as you don't plan on going over 40 MPH :eek: That stuff will give your quad a bad case of the wobbles. Been there, done that, had the stuff washed out and payed for four remounts.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Agree to use the slime, it works amazing. I race enduros and have not had a flat. The only problem is I used the manufacturers recommendation on quantity for offroad tires and the bike gets a shimming if I go over 55 mph... will probably take some of the slime out. Hey Brian do you have this issue?

·
Registered
22,016 Posts
rappyfreak said:
Agree to use the slime, it works amazing. I race enduros and have not had a flat. The only problem is I used the manufacturers recommendation on quantity for offroad tires and the bike gets a shimming if I go over 55 mph... will probably take some of the slime out. Hey Brian do you have this issue?
Negative.

I do not have a lot of the "slime" in my tires. I put half of what was recommended so I would not have that issue.

I've ran mine nearly full throttle at 60- 70 mph or better and have had no problems.

~Brian

·
Registered
610 Posts
Interesting. I split the difference between the low speed and high speed recommendation on their website and had nothing but problems going over 40. I posted here about the shimmying and nobody could figure it out. Same thing at the dealer (they thought it was a bent rim) until one guy came back from lunch and asked if I had Slime in the tires after he took it for a ride. He's the one that got stuck washing it out, too. FWIW I was using it on my new GNCCs, but doubt the tire had anything to do with it (non-radial). I kinda wonder if it would have fixed the 1/2" slit I got on one of the rears, though....
Now I carry a plug kit.

·
Registered
22,016 Posts
After I added the slime, I spun the wheels for 5 minutes to coat the inside well.

That sucks because about your results. I have seen a few thorns in my tires from riding in a field nearby my house and I've pulled them out. I have a little green residue around the affected areas so I know it's working. So far, I've had no issues other than no time to ride!

~Brian

1 - 20 of 20 Posts