Raptor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not finding any good aftermarket trailer hitch brackets online for these

Figure I will make my own, just wondering if anyone around here has done it and could take some pictures? Any help/advice is appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
153 Posts
What in the hell would you tow behind a raptor!

·
Registered
87 Posts
The wet motorcycle-style clutch found in the raptor is not meant to tow much. it will burn the clutch quickly. I am not saying you couldn't tow something small like a lawn sweep or very very small trailer, but long distances with moderate load may cause extreme heat build up. Plus how fun is it staying in first gear on flat ground! Tell us what you come up with

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
I have seen/heard of a couple, most bolting to the swingarm in one manner or another. I can't recall seeing an actual aftermarket part available for sale though.

Best of luck and be sure to show us what you come up with :thumbsup:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input guys,
I know it can be hard on the clutch, but clutches are pretty easy to fix :)
Its only going to be used to tow a lawn sweeper, probably my little quad trailer a little bit too.
I know people have made these brackets but I can't find any pictures now, I did once before... (stupid me should have saved them)
I mostly wanted to see where people bolt to the swing arm at...

I'll post some pictures after I get one made up that works

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
I mostly wanted to see where people bolt to the swing arm at...

I'll post some pictures after I get one made up that works
Probably bolted them to where the swing arm skid plate bolts to.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I thought about it too. Although its not made for it sometimes I wish there was a hook up. I was looking to pull a small trailer just to drag my deer out of the woods Im not flying thorough the woods during hunting season anyways. Check what this guy did with exhaust clamps. With a little creativity sure you can rig something up. Just remember if you like wheelies there is a good chance you can f something up falling back on the Gerry rigged hitch. Might want to make it easy to remove.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Easy-ATV-Quad-Trailer-Hitch/

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
If you had a steel round house swing arm you could aways have a small square tube welded and brased on the top right above the bearing carrier. That way you could use a small hitch, and still be able to remove it when it isn't in use. That way your trailer weight is right on top of the axle.

I dont knwo if you could do that with the stock swing arm. Mabe weld a pice of strap metal to a square tube. Then just bolt it to the top of the swing arm. Use some button head allen bolts from the inside so there isnt mcuh of a bolt head inside.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
I made one from stgainless steel that bolted up underneath where the skid plate mounts, & also where the shock linkage mounts. Turned a longer bolt for the linkage mount.
Took it off last year as I was getting serious about racing & wanted to shed some weight. Did plenty of towing with it, would happily sit on the flat at 100kph (60mph) with the trailer pictured, & had no clutch issues in 2 years of this kind of abuse. When I started looking for more power the clutch started to go, but that was kinda expected.

Wanna buy it?
Will be back in the USA early Feb..........

Attachments

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
The wet motorcycle-style clutch found in the raptor is not meant to tow much. it will burn the clutch quickly. I am not saying you couldn't tow something small like a lawn sweep or very very small trailer, but long distances with moderate load may cause extreme heat build up. Plus how fun is it staying in first gear on flat ground! Tell us what you come up with
I atv pulled for a few years with the Raptor, and the clutch is very durable.........but not indestructible.............:D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Turned a longer bolt for the linkage mount.
still got the bolt by chance?
the trailer pictured
is just plain awesome:wow:, i'm doin it ;)
Wanna buy it?
Will be back in the USA early Feb..........
Yep sure do, pm me a price if you could? Sounds fairly easy to remove for the ride days, right? cause yes, I am a fan of wheelies :turbo1: Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am interested in having something the hook onto... just in case i need to pull my mates YFZ 450 along (AND VICE VERSA) to somewhere we can leave it instead of being stuck out on the trails in the worst case. Any pics or ideas please?

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
I am interested in having something the hook onto... just in case i need to pull my mates YFZ 450 along (AND VICE VERSA) to somewhere we can leave it instead of being stuck out on the trails in the worst case. Any pics or ideas please?
ATV tow strap. Its got a loop at both ends and a clevis. Wrap it around the swing arm and though the loop. Use the clevis to attach to the bumper / frame of the quad being towed. I don't keep mine on the atv all the time but when we go on weekend rides I wrap it around the bumper on my Banshee. The banshee is a real gas hog and I have been towed back the last couple miles. I have the ATV Logic one below but would probably get the longer MSR one if I was buying one today.

15' MSR tow strap
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1010/11639/MSR-Tow-Strap?term=tow strap

12' ATV Logic strap
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1069/265/ATV-Logic-Tow-Strap?term=tow strap

1 - 14 of 14 Posts