Raptor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my rear rotor is bent so i bought a new rotor from a shop (honda shop of all places). i also bought pads because there was literally no pad left. i asked if that could have been what bent my rotor and the shop owner said no, what bent my rotor was the caliper. he said the caliper was a floating piston caliper or something and there was a allen bolt that was froze up and not allowing it to float and bent the rotor. he said i could put a caliper off of a honda on it and not have that problem ever again. he didnt say what bike the caliper was from. he said they were both made by nissin and he would sell me one for a little over $100. i think he said $130 to be exact. a new oem yamaha caliper is WAY more expensive. has anyone done this or ever heard of it?

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
Never heard of it, not saying it doesn't/can't work, just never heard of it. Others have swapped YFZ and 700R rear calipers on, but I'm not entirely sure what's required in that either.

I'm not sure what allen bolt the guy is referring to, but I imagine a used caliper off the classifieds or ebay would be a much cheaper option.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He said the Allen bolt was as big as your finger. I think its the one right behind the piston but I didn't check it. He talked like it was a pretty common problem and said if I were to buy an OEM replacement I would experience another failure. The shop owner seems like a very knowledgeable and trustworthy individual. I think I'm gonna give this a shot, maybe I've found a reliable shop for future needs...

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
he sounds like a salesman to me.
mike

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
he sounds like a salesman to me.
mike
Yeah I guess all shop owners are. I assume the caliper would be from a 450R or a 400EX. I'm gonna call him Monday and get more info. If this is a problem Yamaha has I'm not buying a Yamaha caliper again. Wouldn't make sense to. I'd like to hear more about the YFZ and 700 caliper swap. If anyone that has done it or has info on it would chime in I'd appreciate it.

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
I know of no such "problem" or design flaw with the stock caliper. It's no different than any other floating design I've come across on atvs.

·
Registered
212 Posts
DON'T WASTE YOU'RE MONEY ON A NEW CALIPER...!!!

Just take out that allen head bolt he's refering to,and clean it up real good.It is exactly like he said,and is a floating caliper design,when the piston squeezes,the pads float on this pin,that should move freely.When it gets built up with dirt\etc,the pin no longer lets the caliper move back\forth,so it bends the rotor over instead.I had this exact problem,and people on here told me about this,sure enough,my pin was all seized up.

It can be a bitch to get that bolt unseized,and if you end up destroying it,you can order the parts from a cough....suzuki dealer...LOL...also found this out from people on here....Yamaha is shit for parts for either the front calipers,or the rear,but the calipers for a 1985-1992 Suzuki 250R Quadracer are a match for parts for our calipers.

Take a peek at the parts fiche for the 250R http://www.mrcycles.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=78968&category=ATVs&make=SUZUKI&year=1985&fveh=1824

Now take a peek at the fiche for ours http://www.mrcycles.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=43658&category=ATVs&make=YAMAHA&year=2003&fveh=1139

Anything that you cant get at the yammy dealer,just order for the suzuki...

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i havent either. all i know is that i had a bent rotor and i dont want another one. ive had an armadillo skid on for quite some time so theres no way i smacked it on something and bent it. i just dont wanna have to mess with the snap ring on my axle again due to another bent rotor. i wanna fix it right. any info on the YFZ or 700 swap would be appreciated. or any info on the honda caliper sway would be appreciated too

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DON'T WASTE YOU'RE MONEY ON A NEW CALIPER...!!!

Just take out that allen head bolt he's refering to,and clean it up real good.It is exactly like he said,and is a floating caliper design,when the piston squeezes,the pads float on this pin,that should move freely.When it gets built up with dirt\etc,the pin no longer lets the caliper move back\forth,so it bends the rotor over instead.I had this exact problem,and people on here told me about this,sure enough,my pin was all seized up.

It can be a bitch to get that bolt unseized,and if you end up destroying it,you can order the parts from a cough....suzuki dealer...LOL...also found this out from people on here....Yamaha is shit for parts for either the front calipers,or the rear,but the calipers for a 1985-1992 Suzuki 250R Quadracer are a match for parts for our calipers.

Take a peek at the parts fiche for the 250R http://www.mrcycles.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=78968&category=ATVs&make=SUZUKI&year=1985&fveh=1824

Now take a peek at the fiche for ours http://www.mrcycles.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=43658&category=ATVs&make=YAMAHA&year=2003&fveh=1139

Anything that you cant get at the yammy dealer,just order for the suzuki...

hell yeah man thanks :beer: if you were here id give you a high five :lol: the guy said that bolt seizes in there and you can get it out but it will just do it again. im not messing with that piece of shit and having it bend more rotors. thanks so much man!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
212 Posts
No prob man....same thing happens in alot of cars as well....new jeep libertys are terrrible for this...prob with cars though is cant bend the rotor,so wrecks calipers,etc...very costly on a brand new vehicle,and since not covered under warranty,people get very upset..LOL...

If you just service the pins,clean,lube em,when you change the oil,etc...you will have no probs whatsoever....Fronts also need to be cleaned,lubed,as they are a slide caliper as well,and will also bend the rotors.Again,buy stuff for the 250R...rubber boots,pins,etc.

Clean em up,put some die-electric grease on them,and in the rubber boots.

Can prob go 6 months between a good cleaning\lubing.

Later..

·
Registered
284 Posts
Don't waste your time rebuilding your old one. If the pins are seized and it has been bad enough to bend the rotor, chances are the pin guide is wallowed out, or the pad fingers are bent. The caliper body is made of aluminum so it happens easily. If it has, you WILL run into problems with it in the future. If you really want to do it right, get a new one.

You can buy brand new rear calipers off ebay for around 100$, with a blockoff and new pads included. Rear calipers are fairly universal so the guy at the Honda dealership is correct, you can put a caliper off a Honda on your Yamaha. 130$ isn't a bad deal either so you might just pick one up from him. You may need to swap caliper mounts out, but the calipers themselves are all the same.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
The only honda calipar I have herd about running was a honda 250R. It is a dual piston calipar. But you have to use a smaller 250R disk. The swap was done mostly with aftermarket swing arms using a honda 250R round house calipar bracket.

I don't know why they consider it an up grade. Smaller rotor needs more clamping force wich kind of negates the 2 piston calipar upgrade.

If you can lock the rear tires up why would you need more breaking force?

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for the link MD. nick, thanks for the advice, thats what i was thinking as well. after reading the link that MD provided along with 03limited's post i think i will opt for a 450 caliper. i dont wanna run a smaller rotor with a 250R caliper, thanks for the info 03limited. im still gonna call and see what honda caliper he was reffering to. ill post up monday what i find out. thanks again to everyone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts