Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i havent seen any posts about hoods lately and the last posts that i have seen havent really been that helpful. As of now im thinking of just spray painting my hood black cuz ive seen it on other members raptors and its a lot cheaper than buying a hood. I want a hood with a different style other than the three Vs, like the Quad tech was. Anybody have any good news on the quad tech hoods? Also, does anyone have any pictures on the REM performance hood?

·
Registered
173 Posts
I talked to Bill Pointer, the owner of Quad Tech, at the Costa Mesa Sand Show last month. At that time they only had three of the carbon fiber hoods left. I bought one, so that left two. He said they were not planning on producing any more out of carbon fiber, but were thinking about doing some in plastic. He didn't seem to be in any type of a rush to get it done though. Their number is 949-859-7823 if you wanted to get any more info.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey thanks. ill be giving them a call tomorrow. do you know if they were planning on doing the same design in plastic or just a new design? Also, did u feel ur hood was worth the money?

·
Registered
39 Posts
As of last Monday they have one blem (blemished) hood that hey will dismount 30 bucks. And they are expecting 2 new ones in a few weeks. The reason I know this is because I just received mine after two and a half weeks of phone calls. The impression that i got from them is close to spawns feeling that there not in any kind of rush to fill orders unless you have a 450. Jurassic you asked if the hood was worth the money. In my $250.00 opinion. not really. The fit around the OEM dash panel is sloppy (my hood has a 1/4 inch gap above the panel.) the carbon fiber is damn thin Less than 1/8 " in a lot of places. The lay of the fiber is not at all uniform. One half is wavy around the corners and the other is precise and straight. The finish work had carbon strands sticking out of the edges that needed to be clipped off.
Keep in mind this is MY opinion on MY hood. It is a nice hood Damn nice after I finished it. And it makes my quad stand out. I just expected more from a high priced part that’s only function is to be bling OUT OF THE BOX . If interested I can send pics. Cuz from a distance the quad does look killer. In hind sight I think that I bought into the Oh no there not going to make any more, which they are just very slowly to keep the hype up and bought it. So consider me the ginnie pig. My expectation is from comparing my hood to the Alba hood which I sent back cuz it just wasn’t the look I was going for.
So in short if you want a different look instead of the three bars and don’t mind finishing your hood after paying top dollar. Or can’t wait until other/ more aftermarket companies decide to jump on the 700 Bing band wagon. Then this hood is worth it.

·
Registered
623 Posts
250 for a hood that doesnt fit perfect and needs to be touched at all? thats bs if you ask me.

i was disappointed with maier and their hood i got. i had a gap around the tip of the hood also. nothing fits like oem i guess.

i would just paint it. i spent about 2 hours doing mine. scuffed it, cleaned it off. laid down some black plastic paint, did several coats. then did several more coats of canned clear coat. supplies cost 12 bucks. paint is glossy, havent had any issues. its had brake fluid on it, brake cleaner, carb cleaner, pressure washed, scrubbed with brushes, and no paint has come off.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey running raptor, i would like to see those photos, either pm me or post them here cuz im sure im not the only one interested in seeing it. Thats a bummer though, that u have to touch it up. i dont understnad why some aftermarket companys make parts that dont fit properly, esp. if its a top doller product. [email protected]#$ing scams. Im going to just paint my hood for now and then decide on the hood later. Id rather paint my hood for 12 dollers then spend 200 on the stock SE hood. hopefully some other company will break out a new hood design or something. Has any one seen the REM performance hood?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Here's my daughters 700 at st. anthony. I know quadtech had lots of problems with the c/f hoods. All produced were pre-production prototypes. The quality was inconsistant from the supplier and all of the hoods being sold now are those leftovers. The cost and availibilty of c/f was and is a big problem and I think billy is just tired of dealing with it. The hoods will be availible in plastic but the rappy hoods aren't a big demand item compared to the 450 stuff that's why it's not a big rush to produce them.

·
Registered
306 Posts
My bro bought a CF hood from Mair for about 80 bucks and the fitment isnt that good. I just painted mine with fusion. I love mine! I can now confirm what a nother member told me that fusion WILL bubble if gas gets on it. I repainted it and put on some clear coat this time so I will see if it bubbles again. Saving 100 to 180 bucks is just up my alley though! lol

·
Registered
728 Posts
yeah i was the member that had experienced the problem with paint bubblin. i got my painted at a body shop along with the tank cover. i dribbled a little gas on the tank cover on the last fill with no problems. its nissan titan black and cleared over top. looks good :thumbsup:. cost me about 60.00 in supllies and my buddy painted it for nothin.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Man do I have a story to share about hoods (Quad tech). I will post full details in a few days... ::)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey oldsandman, your daughter has one sweet ride if i must say so myself. I think im gonna wait untill bdchoc post his story to pursue the quadtech hood. I really like how urs turned out, raptor700rnut. Is your friend a perfessional auto painter?

To paint the hoods, is all u have to do is scuff it up real good and prime it with plastic primer and then you can pretty much use any color or kind of paint, not just plastic paint, right? Also, is there any specific clear coat you guys are using?

·
Registered
306 Posts
When I did mine I just lightly scuffed it (very lightly) then used crylon fusion, no primer or promoter, then truck and SUV clear. If you use regular paint make sure to scuff really good, whipe down with alcohol, use adhesive promoter, then primer, paint, then clear.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I lightly scuffed mine with some 600 grit, then used reg krylon (not fusion) and reg clear, and it came out great

·
Registered
19 Posts
For you DIY ers there is an available polypropylene primer for your plastic, usually available at auto parts stores (Napa). Its clear and really helps with adhesion. Besides scuffing I'd recomend a plastic safe prep cleaner.

X

·
Registered
728 Posts
jurassicman said:
hey oldsandman, your daughter has one sweet ride if i must say so myself. I think im gonna wait untill bdchoc post his story to pursue the quadtech hood. I really like how urs turned out, raptor700rnut. Is your friend a perfessional auto painter?

To paint the hoods, is all u have to do is scuff it up real good and prime it with plastic primer and then you can pretty much use any color or kind of paint, not just plastic paint, right? Also, is there any specific clear coat you guys are using?
yeah he is a professional, he used a prep solution like what raptorx is talking about. he said the worse part of the job was getting the clear not to run. too many curves so he had to be careful about getting it too thick. it looks real good in the sun, the pearl in the paint gives it a blue tint. i used fusion the first time with no clear. didn't scuff just cleaned with dawn dish soap. maybe if i had cleared it it wouldn't of bubbled with gas. IDK.

·
Registered
824 Posts
raptor700rnut said:
yeah i was the member that had experienced the problem with paint bubblin. i got my painted at a body shop along with the tank cover. i dribbled a little gas on the tank cover on the last fill with no problems. its nissan titan black and cleared over top. looks good :thumbsup:. cost me about 60.00 in supllies and my buddy painted it for nothin.

came out nice :thumbsup:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Okay here's the deal.. This is going to be very long! I ordered a carbon fiber hood and a custom seat cover for my 2006 rappy 700 on September 12th (total $385.00). I was told by Quad Tech it would ship in 3 days because the seat cover had to be made. I finally received it on September 26th, 14 days after I ordered, Man how nice! The seat cover was for a yfz 450 to small for the big rappy 700, and the carbon fiber hood had no less than 15-20 blemishes and bubbles in the finish. Needless to say I was disappointed. I called Quad Tech and they said, Oh I'm sorry just send it back to us and we will take a look at it. I wrote a letter to QT and explained my disappointment and asked them if they could maybe throw in one of their little $5 QT carbon fiber key chains for the inconvenience. I sent both back on September 28th another $20 out of my pocket for shipping. Quad Tech received the package on October 1st just 4 days later. I called and asked if they would expedite this to get the right items back to me and was told yes, and again how sorry they were for sending me the hood that had the most blemishes out of the 4 that they had left at the time. But I was assured they would send me another with not so many blemishes. Now I feel warm and fuzzy!! Quick note: Webster dictionary definition of expedite: Fast and efficiently: speed up the progress of: facilitate....
Finally, after waiting more (16 days to be exact) I called on Thursday October 19th to see what the hold up was. I was told by Quad Tech that the hold up was that they were out of QT logo's to have sewn on the seat cover and it would ship on Friday October 20th ( Note I really felt I should have told them to just sew the lable to their butt, so I wouldn't be giving them free advertisement). So I waited until Monday October 23rd and called again. I was told it still hadn't shipped and that it would be Tuesday October 24th. I asked Quad Tech if they would now expedite it and was told it would be shipped UPS ground and it would take about 5-6 more days and they said they were sorry (Refer to the definition of expedite). Anyway 5 days later I received the coveted Quad Tech Carbon Fiber Hood and seat cover in all of its glory with extra stickers included to put all over my bike, how sweet of them.
Total time = 46 days
Total expense = $385 + $20 more = $405
No instruction's for hood install. It needed to be trimed with my dremel tool for the light cluster to fit properly through the hood hole, two additional holes drilled in the plastic at the bottom to fasten it. The entire experience was about as frustrating as having your sack buffed with 30 grit sand paper, but guess what I got a Quad Tech Hood. Would I do business with them again? Yes, when they send me that free $5 key chain I asked for!!!! NOT..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Make sure you put the stickers that you got FREE on you bike. You would hate to NOT give them the advertisment they deserve.

·
Registered
51 Posts
This is my hood painted with Krylon Fusion gloss black. The first time I coated it with clear coat and it messed up a beautiful paintjob. The poly' cracked like dry dirt. Stripped it, repainted it...looks great.

·
Registered
728 Posts
TSAGE said:
This is my hood painted with Krylon Fusion gloss black. The first time I coated it with clear coat and it messed up a beautiful paintjob. The poly' cracked like dry dirt. Stripped it, repainted it...looks great.
i was thinking about painting my grill somewhat that color but didn't know how it would look. i like it, looks good :thumbsup:.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts