Raptor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I want to get a cam for my Raptor as I have been told that is my next step. That is all I am going to be able to do right now. I was palnning on getting the hot cam stage 3, but have found a good deal on a used mega cycle x4 with springs. So being that this is the only mod I will be able to do for now which cam would work better or would you guys recommend. Thanks

·
Registered
863 Posts
Go with the hc3 because to run the X4 your rockers need to be clearenced. you would probably get more bang for your buck if you did a higher compression piston. bigger cam will take some of your low end power away. That is why most people do a piston and cam at the same time,because the high comp. piston helps with the bottom end power and the cam will help up on the top end.JMO though

·
Registered
555 Posts
I wouldn't recommend a cam only change. The stock compression is only 9.2:1 and by adding any duration with an aftermaket cam you'll be further reducing the dynamic comp ratio or cylinder pressure. The bigger the cam the worse it's going to be.
It's great to get a good deal on parts but won't be worth it if they don't work with the rest of your build. If you're determined to do it, the HC3 will work better with the stock piston than the X4. Just save up the $250 for a piston and do it all at the same time. Trust me, you'll be happier in the long run.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, good to know. Thanks guys. If anyone else has an opinion, let me know.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
While running a hc3 on stock 9.2.1 comp is not ideal it does work. You do infact (dyno proven) lose low end power but in real world riding, unless you ride off idle, it isnt noticable. The horepower gain up top is very noticable though.
To each his own.....but ive been running the setup in my sig for a while now and its proved to be a pretty lethal setup for the money.
I'll never argue its ideal....but its hardly somthing id steer you away from. Im still makin twice the lowend power as the guys on 450's haha.
Might need some other mods to make that addex topend power more accessable though. Id get them first :)
Ohh and if you do get an ignition send it to DL for a custom curve. He can get back a good chunk of the 'loss' in lowend using the hc3 ;) good luck man!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks boom, great insight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts