Raptor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
4011 is a stage 1
4005 is a stage 2
4050 is a stage 3

from the looks of the numbers it closley resembles a stage 1..look and see if any of these numbers match
I believe the NO refers to the number 40 (all being the same) and the next 2 numbers 11,05,50 refer to stage of the cam

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

It says
HC DK
NO:11
Thanks I am pretty sure it has stock springs in the head so that makes sense. Any idea how much a used one would be worth?

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
couldn't tell ya,..its against my religion to buy used internal motor parts...well the major ones anyways! :lol:
Someone else will chime in with the answer for that.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
They go for anywhere from $50 to $90 on ebay depending on condition and how good you are at setting up your auction.

·
Registered
679 Posts
this is probably a really stupid question. but what do hotcams do. one of myfriedns has them on his quad and i wanna now what they do for your quad. i fell really dumb asking this.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Don't feel stupid man, thats what this place is for! :thumbsup:
Hotcams is the brand name of a camshaft. There are others such as megacycle cams, web cam(shafts),.ect.
Real basic understanding-as you know camshafts have lobes, and when the cam spins the lobes on it make contact with a rocker arm (well the tappet face of it) and uses the rocker as a lever to push the valve open. On the 660 one cam controls the intake and exhaust valves categorzing it into a group known as OHC (over head cam) or more speficically SOHC (single overhead cam). YFZ's and other certain quads have DOHC (dual over head cams)motors that use a cam to control intake valves and a cam to control exhaust valves.
The camshaft can have different profiles or grinds hence the stage 1,2,3, x4,x14, ect...
The profiles are the specs for the cam, the lobe duration (how long the valve is opened up), the lift how far out the valve is opened, ect... theses properties of the cam effect how the air is entering the combustion chamber. Therefore changing the characteristics of the motor...a cam with a more radical profile cam give you more hp, usually obtained at a higher rpm on a stock stroke motor. At more radical levels of the profile the cam gives more hp up top at higher rpm's, but the bottom end or low rpm torque/hp is sacrificed and the overall average may be sacrificed as well leading to a "peaky" power band.
The cam also works in conjunction witht the piston(piston size, compression), valve size, porting style, carb type (size of bore and type of carb), stroker crank, and the exhaust and other such parts. Each has or performs a certain task in getting air/fuel through the motor as efficiently as possible. therfore the cam itself may give you a hp or two by itself, but when combined with a piston, better exhaust,..ect,..it can produce more effecient results..The further you get into changing the engine parts to raise hp/tq the more complex (and expensive) it becomes to get more hp..Thats where the professional engine builders come into play, or some one who has a good fundamental grasp on the functions of the various parts and how they can get them to work together to raise hp and keep the motor more reliable at the same time (in most cases). I'm sure theres more precise and accurate explanations for cams, but this is my best way to break it down in laymins (not sure on the spelling) terms.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts