Raptor Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys I might be venting a bit but here it goes. I took my bike to a local shop that everyone goes to get their bikes worked on. By the way I have a 2007 Raptor 700. I took it there to have a hotcam stage 2 installed. Horrible customer service and I'm out $500. On top of that it took three weeks. Anyways I went riding today and I do a lot of drag racing. I did everything they told me to. (break in the cam by runnin through a half tank of gas and let the rpms run at about 2000. Don't let it idle too much as well.) That is what they said to me. Broke it in and began my onslaught of drag racing for the day. Raced a few of my buddies bikes and realized that the races are all about the same as before when I didn't even have the hotcam installed. I am a little heated about this and would like some guidance. Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to reprogram my PCIII? I have an hmf full exhaust with filter as well. Bottom line is that I didn't feel any difference in power it seemed or that I thought I was going to get a lot more power than I actually received. In the back of my mind I am also thinking that maybe the shop held my bike for three weeks and charged me $500 for storage if you know what I mean. One more thing. I am a rookie mechanic so I am wondering if there is any way of telling whether or not they actually did change cams in my bike without tearing the entire thing apart. Thanks for your help and your guidance is much appreciated.
Lance

·
If you don't wreck, you don't ride
4,450 Posts
You need to reprogram and you probably could've done it yourself. Sorry to say that but its a drop in cam shouldn't be to hard, so 500 was WAY to much.

·
A-10 Crew Chief
1,143 Posts
First off, if you were looking to drag a lot, then you should have gone with a HC3. It has more top end, and you probably would have seen more of the gain you were looking for. Second, you don't need to re-program your fuel for a cam. It doesn't have anything to do with fuel requirements of the engine. Third, you should be able to remove your cam cover and find the part number on the cam itself to see if they changed it if I'm not mistaken. Fourth, $500 is a HUGE amount for a cam insall! Did you get anything else done with it? Did it include the price of the cam, dyno, etc?

·
A-10 Crew Chief
1,143 Posts
What were your dyno numbers?

·
If you don't wreck, you don't ride
4,450 Posts
First off, if you were looking to drag a lot, then you should have gone with a HC3. It has more top end, and you probably would have seen more of the gain you were looking for. Second, you don't need to re-program your fuel for a cam. It doesn't have anything to do with fuel requirements of the engine. Third, you should be able to remove your cam cover and find the part number on the cam itself to see if they changed it if I'm not mistaken. Fourth, $500 is a HUGE amount for a cam insall! Did you get anything else done with it? Did it include the price of the cam, dyno, etc?
Ooops I believe your right. If you dragging within a 300ft distance the HC2 will be just fine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They just tuned the power commander they didn't dyno the bike. I took the cam cover off and could only see the letters TPI and the numbers 620 but they were blocked by something. Is there any other way to tell if it has been swapped or not? I even turned the bike over a bit to try to see more numbers but they were blocked.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Lol, isn't the point of a different cam to get more fuel/air mixture into the chamber? Stands to reason that you need to add more fuel to go with the air. Having said that, a hotcam 2 isn't a huge difference from stock, but you will run lean if you drop one in and don't change your fuel mapping, assuming that your tune was previously spot on.

To the OP, $500 is not too bad if it included the cam and a tune, doesn't sound like you got ripped off.

As far as your overall setup goes, you will lose some low end with a hot cam 2. It will be especially noticeable if you are stock compression. You could get some of that back with a programmable ignition that is properly setup. Also, realize that you're probably not going to gain quite as much as some other people up top with that cam since you are running a single exhaust and not duals.

Also, seeing what cam you have isntalled is not quite as easy as taking the cover off. The cam itself is underneath the decompression mechanism, so you would need to remove it along with your timing chain. If you were dead set on checking, it would probably be easier to check your lift at the valve with an indicator, but I seriously doubt they charged you for it and didn't put a cam in. Also, with a hot cam 2, your valvetrain noise should be audibly different from stock. Should be a bit louder with a distinct sewing machine sound.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ah I see. I started it up and I did think that either my cam chain was rattling or a valve was knocking so it does sound sort of like a sewing machine. I was considering getting a set of duals but at a reasonable price. If any of you would have any suggestions that would be great as well!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Go through TQS to get the duals! I did and they had the best price and advice i could find. I went with the DMC force 4's and love them!

·
A-10 Crew Chief
1,143 Posts
I must have been thinking of a pistone change. Sorry for the mis-information and thanks for clearing it up! If you got all that for the 5 bills then that isn't to bad of a price. You should get some DASA duals! lol They are more spendy then the others, but are worth it IMO. Other duals show up on the "For Sale" section for around $550 quite a bit. That would probably be more up your ally. Sorry again for steering you wrong on the cam/fuel bud! Happy ridding!

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Ask the shop to get your old stock cam back, so you can use it as a core for a future cam one day.
+1, ALWAYS get your stock parts back. At least you know when you leave that they did something to it. I just had my HC2 installed and I thought it was a noticable difference. Revs up much quicker to me but more important gives the power were I need it for trail riding. I'm 95% trail 5% drag :lol:

·
Registered
332 Posts
i see your in st louis? did you go to precision powersports in arnold? I have only heard good things about them. But like others said go get your original cam back.

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
Hi. My Rappy is 100 % stock ( 09 )

I think installing a HC2, it's mandatory to take a pc3 ?

Ty.
It is best to open your own thread and ask your question, instead of in the middle of someone elses....but welcome.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts