Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help! I rebuild my yamaha raptor 700r top end. When I crank it the headers get hot fast on the exhaust port of the cylinder head with in 10seconds of idle. I need to know if it's my valves or radiator problems.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I dont think your symptoms would indicate valve or radiator problems. We need more info to help... did you change exhaust or intake? Does it have a fuel controller? What all did you replace with the rebuild? Who did the work?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont think your symptoms would indicate valve or radiator problems. We need more info to help... did you change exhaust or intake? Does it have a fuel controller? What all did you replace with the rebuild? Who did the work?

I replace the gaskets and piston rings from wiesco and placed everything back together as stated in the manual. I have stock exhaust and aftermarket pipe. Not sure if it has a fuel controller it's all fuel injected but it does have an idle screw . I did the work myself plus I have an exhaust wrap on the headers

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
How hot are we talking about? Like glowing red or just ouch dont touch that

·
Registered
538 Posts
Sounds lean.
I would start simple and spray soapy water around the base gasket, to look for bubbles from an air leak.
Unlikely, but free and an easy check.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just Hot to touch and it didn t use to get like that. But it runs and cut off within 5 seconds

Sounds lean.
I would start simple and spray soapy water around the base gasket, to look for bubbles from an air leak.
Unlikely, but free and an easy check.
Ok will try thanks

How hot are we talking about? Like glowing red or just ouch dont touch that

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Im not understanding. It runs for 10 seconds and is already really hot? It runs for 5 seconds and dies?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im not understanding. It runs for 10 seconds and is already really hot? It runs for 5 seconds and dies?

So if I open the throttle slightly to keep it from cutting off it's hot as craps. If I crank it and back away it idle 5 second and cut off. I put it in gear and drive and let off the throttle it keeps going like I'm pressing throttle still for a little while and I adjusted the idle screw

·
Registered
714 Posts
Could your exhaust be plugged with something? Packing blown out? If you don’t have spark arrestors something could have gotten in there.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Also, as far as it wanting to keep running after you let off the throttle - it sounds like two different issues. You can’t assume both symptoms are from the same cause.
Take your throttle intake off and look in your throttle body. Is it clean?

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
If your idle was fine before the new piston rings, then the idle screw did not need adjustment. Maybe its sucking in air somewhere that it shouldnt be. Check to make sure the boots from intake to throttle body and from throttle body to head are tight with no cracks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Could your exhaust be plugged with something? Packing blown out? If you don’t have spark arrestors something could have gotten in there.
Found out the water pump gaskets and o rings was bad the manual says faulty water pump will cause it to get hot. Would that have been my problem?

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Found out the water pump gaskets and o rings was bad the manual says faulty water pump will cause it to get hot. Would that have been my problem?
Not in 10 seconds...

·
Registered
714 Posts
If you started your bike cold, then It’s going to take more than 10 sec to warm everything up. The coolant will get warm, but there is no way it’s going to get hot enough for you to think ‘Damn that ain’t right.’ If you left Your bike running and the fan came on and never went off, then that might indicate it’s getting too hot and perhaps your water pump was faulty.

One easy way to check this, order an in-line temp gauge for the radiator hose that you see routed right below your gas tank on the right hand side. That will tell you what your temps are.
———————

I have a feeling that Rick is right, though, it sounds lean. You got a fuel controller on there? Just look in your air box, that’s where it most likely will be mounted. If not, then you may have air being sucked in past your TB. You can spray carb cleaner lightly around the intake joints to see if the revs increase or the engine runs different which will indicate a leak somewhere.

Again, is your exhaust plugged somehow? That would create excessive heat and cause it to die at idle.

Also, consider you may be chasing a red herring. Maybe you never noticed the header get that hot, but thats the way it always was. I know for sure I have burned my self on more than one occasion checking my oil after letting the bike warm up for 10-20 sec, letting it cool for a minute and then accidentally fusing my knuckles straight to the header trying to unscrew the dipstick.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you started your bike cold, then It’s going to take more than 10 sec to warm everything up. The coolant will get warm, but there is no way it’s going to get hot enough for you to think ‘Damn that ain’t right.’ If you left Your bike running and the fan came on and never went off, then that might indicate it’s getting too hot and perhaps your water pump was faulty.

One easy way to check this, order an in-line temp gauge for the radiator hose that you see routed right below your gas tank on the right hand side. That will tell you what your temps are.
———————

I have a feeling that Rick is right, though, it sounds lean. You got a fuel controller on there? Just look in your air box, that’s where it most likely will be mounted. If not, then you may have air being sucked in past your TB. You can spray carb cleaner lightly around the intake joints to see if the revs increase or the engine runs different which will indicate a leak somewhere.

Again, is your exhaust plugged somehow? That would create excessive heat and cause it to die at idle.

Also, consider you may be chasing a red herring. Maybe you never noticed the header get that hot, but thats the way it always was. I know for sure I have burned my self on more than one occasion checking my oil after letting the bike warm up for 10-20 sec, letting it cool for a minute and then accidentally fusing my knuckles straight to the header trying to unscrew the dipstick.
Fuel controller? Not sure but it was a power commander hooked up to it but all of a sudden it dosent work so I took it off and plugged my factors connectors back. My exhaust is not plugged anywhere but I have and exhaust wrap on it because one of my headers slide out for the joint connector on my exhaust headers

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,054 Posts
"CAUTION, EXHAUST IS HOT"!!

Motor combustion creates heat that exits out the exhaust.
Get a new Power Commander and replace the bad one.
Take the exhaust wrap off and repair the slip joint.

·
Registered
714 Posts
"CAUTION, EXHAUST IS HOT"!!

Motor combustion creates heat that exits out the exhaust.
Get a new Power Commander and replace the bad one.
Take the exhaust wrap off and repair the slip joint.
This is no doubt the best advice.

Why do you think your power commander broke?

If it’s not apparent, then let me say this - Your Power Commander is a fuel controller. It adjusts how much fuel and air is mixed together. Too little fuel, or too much air, and you create a ‘lean condition’ which will make things get more hot much faster. You can damage your engine this way.

The power commander is necessary for a bike with modification, like a high flow air filter or exhaust, because these mods will change how much fuel/air is needed. You were used to running with the Power Commanders fuel programming, but now that you have removed it and changed parts in your engine, the engine runs differently. You now require a new tune to bring the air/fuel mixture back into ratio to keep from overheating and stalling.

Please list your mods in your sig, or at least in your next post so that we can understand what we are dealing with.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is no doubt the best advice.

Why do you think your power commander broke?

If it’s not apparent, then let me say this - Your Power Commander is a fuel controller. It adjusts how much fuel and air is mixed together. Too little fuel, or too much air, and you create a ‘lean condition’ which will make things get more hot much faster. You can damage your engine this way.

The power commander is necessary for a bike with modification, like a high flow air filter or exhaust, because these mods will change how much fuel/air is needed. You were used to running with the Power Commanders fuel programming, but now that you have removed it and changed parts in your engine, the engine runs differently. You now require a new tune to bring the air/fuel mixture back into ratio to keep from overheating and stalling.

Please list your mods in your sig, or at least in your next post so that we can understand what we are dealing with.
The old power commander was hooked up but the lights didn t display that indicated power was on. I tried to crank it before I took it off and the quad didnt crank, so I took it off and it crank right up. I on me have a dg exhaust pipe everything else is stock

1 - 20 of 29 Posts