Raptor Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iam also pretty new to quads and looking for some advice. im looking to get some more power now that i have gotten used to the big three. after reading a few threads pretty obvious that cams and a possible piston change would be a great upgrade. i have been looking at stage 2 hot cams with 11.5:1 "Tech" Piston, how do the people that have that setup like it? or what you recommend something different? i ride where ever i can, but mainly right now its at the dunes and a few tracks. i like having torque more than anything but would also want some more power in the mid to upper. thanks for your help, appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
or would stage 3 with a different piston be better? tell me your thoughts.
If your looking for a pump gas motor then yes the tech piston would be great. I would do a Hc3 over a 2 especially if you ride dunes. The power curve is def a better top end curve with a good bottom end to because of the torque the raptor naturally makes. We usually do a stock valve and spring head port with that setup and make mid 60's hp. A very fun build for a reasonable amount of $$$.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ya i would def want it to stay a pump gas motor. im looking for more power without tearing into the motor. sounds like Hc3 and tech piston would be a great way to achieve this. would i need to get a new map after installing those?

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
ya i would def want it to stay a pump gas motor. im looking for more power without tearing into the motor. sounds like Hc3 and tech piston would be a great way to achieve this. would i need to get a new map after installing those?
Yes you would need a different map. I have maps for our builds but they include the head being ported on stock valves though.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes you would need a different map. I have maps for our builds but they include the head being ported on stock valves though.

but i wouldnt have to get the head ported if i didnt want to right? i could just do Hc3 and the piston for now....then maybe down the road do some head work and ect.

·
Registered
366 Posts
ya i would def want it to stay a pump gas motor. im looking for more power without tearing into the motor. sounds like Hc3 and tech piston would be a great way to achieve this.
??? Umm, you have to tear into the motor to install the cam and piston...

·
Registered
366 Posts
but i wouldnt have to get the head ported if i didnt want to right? i could just do Hc3 and the piston for now....then maybe down the road do some head work and ect.
HC3 and 11.5:1 works really good on a stock head. I wouldn't get the head ported until your ready to go the a bigger cam.

·
Registered
145 Posts
If you plan on porting, dont waste money and time with a HC3, buy the hdd 50/50 or something comparable,

I alredy have the hdd 5050, 11.5 tech, dynatek in boxes ready to install, i'm waiting a few more time to get more money and do the head porting and the +3 and a dyno, and install all together.

Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you plan on porting, dont waste money and time with a HC3, buy the hdd 50/50 or something comparable,

I alredy have the hdd 5050, 11.5 tech, dynatek in boxes ready to install, i'm waiting a few more time to get more money and do the head porting and the +3 and a dyno, and install all together.

Just my opinion.
decisions decisions....i thought i was gonna be happy with an exhaust and what not but its not looking good haha :banghead:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I thought I was gonna be happy with the 11.1 piston and stage 2 hotcam. Now I'm thinking about head work and maybe TB. Not sure how to get it done. Is there anyone near southwest Montana that does this kind of work that anyone knows about?

·
Registered
325 Posts
HA!! Alot of us have the same story. Thought it was gonna be enough and... then...

I have a JE 11:1/HC3/+2TB/ProDesign+KN
I'm waiting for DL700 to finish rebuilding a +1 head, cutting it for a 54mm TB, install a 5050 cam and get my WK 54mm + injector ready for me so I can install everything at once. In the mean time, I'm installing a Tech 11.5 piston, a clutch and +4 swingarm.

Who knows if that's going to be enough. I hope to hit 70hp!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts