Raptor Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Look, I hate cheap china garbage just as much as the next guy, but let's take a look at the facts. Alba and Houser have essentially the same arm design using the same 4130 chromoly steel. They are both fully adjustable, have zerks, and don't use heim joints.

Yes, Alba arms are made in china, but the company is American and I'd assume they do some sort of quality control on the arms they get shipped. They've been in business for 20 years, which does mean something.

Houser of course is American made, and twice the price.

I have zero problem spending more on the houser arms, but are there objective reasons as to why they're worth the $900 price tag? Are they super thick? Is the ride quality objectively better etc.

Any and all experiences welcome.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
The difference is the thickness, quality of welds, and quality of steel, at least as I understand it. I know Alba says they are using high strength chromoly whatever, but I think it’s the Chinese version

My buddy has albas on his and bent them slightly when he overshot a large triple. It was a massive jump, way over what anyone would do on a raptor. Plus overshooting the landing is what did it

I have the Lonestar arms, which are one step below Houser. They were around $700. The quality is unreal. All the welds are perfect, the steel is majorly tough, and the tube diameter is large

I ride rocky trails so I know what it takes to dent and ding the stock lower arms. There have been several times I expected to see a big ding in my lonestar arms, but they’re barely even scratched. They make the albas look so skimpy when parked side by side

Also if I remember right, alba uses smaller diameter ball joint threads, which is a big deal because that’s a high stress area

For the average rider I’m sure the alba would be more than adequate, but I like to go above and beyond on durability because I ride alone on tough terrain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
I’ve seen broken albas, I’ve not seen broken houser. The Alba long travel with alternate standard travel shock mount is pretty sketchy.
But your observation is correct. Alba does produce Chinese copy’s of American designs.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
^ true, I forgot about that type of shock mount. I wouldn’t even consider getting those, that is big time cheese. I was picturing the standard travel shock arms, those are what my buddy has

·
Registered
2022 Yamaha Raptor 700r
207 Posts
Just like tools, electronics, etc there's quality and knock offs of quality. Some work fine in some situations and some don't in others. If you can swing for the quality then do it, if not then just understand the product that you're getting is a representation of the price usually.

I bought a set of XFR Nerf bars and I can honestly say the quality was much better than the other big cheap chinese brands. I paid more for them, but also have faith they'll do what's needed when needed. It's all a matter of personal choice.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm kinda leaning toward Houser now. I put Albas on my old 660 and they did fine, but this 700 is a different animal and it just makes sense to spend a little more on such an important upgrade.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
You should be able to find good deals on Houser a-arms especially this week. The ball joints (Frap), welds, powder coat, and overall fitment goes to Houser Racing. The HR a-arms also come with needle bearings as a standard option. If you see yourself purchasing shocks in the near future go ahead and purchase LT to decrease the chance of having any buyer's remorse.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
I’d check out lonestar before you pull the trigger, the quality is the same as houser. Houser just upcharges their arms because they have the silicast caster adjustment. It’s a neat setup, but not really necessary in my opinion. Lonestars come with shims that can be setup one of three ways for your desired caster. It makes it much easier. It’s already enough of a pain to get the proper camber angle and toe adjustment

But at the end of the day you can’t go wrong with either brand, they’re both great. Wait time was almost 12 weeks for the lonestars when I ordered, so that could be a factor

1 - 11 of 11 Posts