Raptor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I just recently bought a 2003 Yamaha 660 Raptor with extras my question is how can I tell if the guy I bought it from actually built the motor he told me it has a 686 big bore kit and a stage 3 hot cam everything else I know he was telling me was true because I can see what he added. I've never ridden a stock 660 Rappy so I don't really know.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The cam will have an identifying stamp on it. The piston will likely be stamped on the bottom but you can just measure straight across so you dont have to pull the cylinder

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,052 Posts
The valve springs should be HD, or double springs instead of one on each valve. Also, I think the center valve guide would be machined lower.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another question ?

Another question ? Ok like I was asking about the 686 big bore kit and the stage 3 hot cam in previous post . I know I couldn't see that he had the motor work he had done but I was able to see the bolt on parts. I was wondering if I got hurt on the price ? This is a 2003 660 Raptor and he claims it was a 2016 build. It has new carbs, new +2 A arms, extended factory swing arm, new axis shocks, +2 chrome lone star steering stem, new nerf bars, new front and rear a.c. grab bars, new roll style roller shifter, custom grabber custom seat cover, new battery, new slip on exhaust. Bought the bike for 2,000.00 and wondering if I got hurt on the purchase. As soon as I can figure out how to post pic of the bike I will.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got another question, my frame and all plastics are black and the front hood is red and I took off all the graphics because they were brittle and faded due to the sun and wear. It seems like all the bikes look the same and don't like all the graphics look cheesy so I was thinking about painting the plastics different than everyone else's bikes anyone have any inputs or suggestions. Not into doing any dirt racing not into wrecking into anyone else but maybe some dirt drags and some trail riding.

·
Registered
579 Posts
The cam will say a dif number on it. It it revs way out it's different cuz they never reved high. The piston, you'd need to take head off. receipts would of helped to proove. It's is running fine let it go. But you can see what cam is in by just poping off a valve service cover, the rear one and remove the tank.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok thanks, don't wanna tear into the motor it runs good almost too good, all I know is when sitting on the bike when running you can tell it has alot of torque because you can tell when reving the bike.

·
Master of the Electron
14,760 Posts
If it looks good and runs fast (it should) then your price was just fine. Have you ridden it yet?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes I've ridden it and every time I would shift to every gear at regular rpms the front end would come up off the ground, kinda scarry.lol so even though the guy had factory swing arm extended 2" I felt like it needed to be extended a little longer so I ordered a 8+ over extended swing arm from Tyson racing in hopes that will help, soon when I get use to it I'm thinking about dirt drag racing with it. So now I'm thinking about painting my plastics and maybe shaving my rear fenders, my front fenders have already been shave a little. Just trying to figure out what color to add since bike is black and hood is red and should or shouldn't I shave rear fenders

·
Registered
579 Posts
Plus 8 is alot. I'm only plus 4 and I'm a hill climber running 14:1 compression at 60hp. Those Tyson swinger need more gussets then they come with.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh ok well if it breaks I can have it fixed and add more. Not gonna do any jumping so I hope nothing happens. Need some ideas or input should I shave rear fenders and everything as in my plastics is painted black and the hood on front is red and kinda plain I would like to add some color to break it up so it's not so plain looking. Also the motor is polished.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts