Raptor Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get underneath the gas tank so I can check all of the electrical connections there. The ones that are associated with the gas tank, pump etc. My damn low fuel light stays on pretty much all the time, regardless of fuel level. I'm thinking the connections are bad and might need some dielectric grease.

any tips would be appreciated.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Pull the front plastics, the four bolts holding the tank, and unplug the tank harness and it will swing right out of the way. So simple. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yes it is real simple, just becareful when you undo the fuel line not to break it. You have to remove the clip first. Just did mine to check the valves. Got to love the fuel injection, no more draining the fuel tank.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jeffrocknr said:
Yes it is real simple, just becareful when you undo the fuel line not to break it. You have to remove the clip first. Just did mine to check the valves. Got to love the fuel injection, no more draining the fuel tank.
is everything related to the tank accessible from the top? I only want to check electrical connections. My feeling is the low fuel light pick up is done inside the fuel pump. If I can get at everything from the top, then I only need to take the top body panel off. That would be good cause then I don't have to raise the tank.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I think everything you will want to check is under the tank. It is really easy. Look at the link that was posted above. Once you take the front end off a few times it is really easy.

·
Registered
556 Posts
ALL connections are on top. Nothing is on the bottom of the tank but dirt/grime and left over bugs that were ate by the 700 :thumbsup:
M

·
Registered
478 Posts
unless my bike is different there are a couple of connections under the tank. The fuel injector connection is there, the TPS sensor is there as well as the one that the PCIII connects into.
On top of the tank there is only one electrical connection I think, that and the fuel line.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Look up the fuel tank...it's pretty straight forward and all those wires your "seeing" goto the plugs/battery/FI etc which is right "BY" the tank.

M

·
Registered
478 Posts
Tiggyboot said:
I need to get underneath the gas tank so I can check all of the electrical connections there. The ones that are associated with the gas tank, pump etc. My damn low fuel light stays on pretty much all the time, regardless of fuel level. I'm thinking the connections are bad and might need some dielectric grease.

any tips would be appreciated.
I see what you are saying. Originally he said he wanted to check all of the electrical connections. Then talks about the tank, pump ect.
Yep if you only want to check the tank then no need to remove it but if you want to check all the electrical connections then pull the tank. Both are easy to do. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Just a thought... I never had to remove my fenders to plug in the tfi... I just took the seat off and the clip dealies that hold the rubber flap on the battery, then the 2 rear tank bolts. I had to remove two bolts under the seat that held the fenders, then seperate the seam in the plastic. Just a though if all you need to do is look. :)

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Took it apart, no problems. Didn't raise the tank but I did take the fenders off. Found a treat from the Yamaha factory in the little catch tray under the tank. A washer. Looks exactly like the ones used in holding the tank down (on the bolt). I guess they must have dropped it when they were putting it together. Oh yeah, a shit load of dirt.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts