Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have 2010 stock raptor, im new to the world of atv so i dont know what and how to do it.
i want to stiff my rear shock, does the origian shocks have more then one adjustment? beacuse i saw a nut with H and S on the gas tank of the shocks, is there any other adjustment but this one?

if i want to harden my shock i need to twist the nut while the rear wheels are in the air or on the ground? thankyou.

·
A-10 Crew Chief
1,143 Posts
I just used my hands. Loosen the first lock ring on top of the spring and leave the bottom one tight. I used a brass puch and a hammer on the teeth of the lock ring to loosen/tighten it. Grab the spring with both hands, and twist clockwise. With the tension from the spring, it will turn the lock ring with it increasing you preload. When you are done, spin down the second lock ring, and lock it tight with the punch! Otherwise www.tqsats.com has a spanner wrench under their tools section that works. My way is free though. :D

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
There is really no set 'right way'. You have to set up the preload for what your weight is with gear on. Preload is the threaded collar on the shock. Loosen it to lower ride height, tighten it to increase ride height.

·
2008 SMX Series Champion HO
2,679 Posts
youtube, i'd go outside and do mine but's it's pouring rain.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:mad: got really confused now, heres a picture of my front shock, which one of the rings do i need to turn and how?

and secondley, i can i adjust my rear shock? it is blocked from evrey direction, here are pictures from the right and left sides, how can i get to it?

right (pipe blocking)

left, gas tank blocking

anyone? :eek:

·
Registered
305 Posts
:mad: got really confused now, heres a picture of my front shock, which one of the rings do i need to turn and how?

You need to move both! They jam together to lock in place, If you want to reduce pre-load, then they need to go up so raise the top one first. If you want to increase pre-load, lower them and move the lower one first. Make sense?

It also helps to have the back axle droop as much as possible to take some of the tension off the spring. so set the frame up on blocks or a jack.

It helps to have a spanner wrench http://www.tqsatv.com/products.php?cat=Tools&pg=2

This will also help you adjust the back shock.

·
2,679 Posts
Loosen the top one first, all it does it lock the other ring in place against the spring. Loosen the top one and back it off a ways, then use your tool to loosen the other ring and the spring will move along with it, up or down your choice, higher will lower the preload, moving it down will raise it, once you have your desired height then you tighten the other ring against the lower one. I need to do mine today on my quad, but I run an aftermarket rear and it has only 1 ring, not 2. You need to the tool to effectively adjust the rings on that shock, you can get away with other tools but if they are short or too long then it will be a long painful process so if you gonna wing it then take your rear exhaust off so you can get as much room as possible.

·
2,679 Posts
In all reality if you want to stiffen your rear shock, then just adjust the compression ratio on it since it's a gas shock. The ride height is already pretty decent so you'd prolly waste your time adjusting the spring. The high speed compression valve is the flathead screw, turn clockwise to stiffen and counter clockwise to soften (high speed compression is when your shock compresses at a fast rate when you land a jump or fly over whoops). The low speed compression is adjusted by using a cresent or open ended wrech to turn the nut around the flathead screw, clockwise for stiffer and counter for softer, low speed compression is when the shock compresses at a slower rate when you trail ride or move over obstacles. Rule of thumb is to have a stiffer high speed compression and a softer slow speed compression. Just remember that adjusting shocks will change your handling characteristics in different ways and it should be done to suit your riding style.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
wow devildog_0431 thanks alot for the info! really appreciate your effort! well i got it on my own earlier only that i tried to tighten the shock from the lock (upper ring) so i sharpened a tooth from the ring :rolleyes: anyway now i atleast know how it is done.
it was quite an affort to loosen the rings so i had to use alot of DW-40 is it ok?, i havent got to the rear shock yet only messed with the front onec, i think ill buy the tool to open the rear one as i dont know how to take off the exhust.

one last thing, if by adjusting the high speed compression i get the same results as adjusting the preload on the spring what is the diffrence between them? why there are two adjustmantes that can be made?
thanks again for your time!

·
VIP
1,057 Posts
The high speed compression valve is the flathead screw, turn clockwise to stiffen and counter clockwise to soften (high speed compression is when your shock compresses at a fast rate when you land a jump or fly over whoops). The low speed compression is adjusted by using a cresent or open ended wrech to turn the nut around the flathead screw, clockwise for stiffer and counter for softer
Actually the 17mm nut is the high speed adjustment and the flat screw is the low speed.:)

·
2,679 Posts
I just double checked my works manual and they are (flathead = highspeed & hex = lowspeed) so I could only assume it was standard, my bad.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
my yamaha manual says the hex is for high speed and the flat is for low =\
and if by adjusting the high speed compression i get the same results as adjusting the preload on the spring what is the diffrence between them? why there are two adjustmantes that can be made?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts