Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I swore the Jug said MOTORCYCLE OIL, It didn't. It said MOTOR OIL. I caught it and changed to MOTORCYCLE OIL. My clutch is still slipping. How do i Fix it without costing an arm and a leg. I can fix it myself, just don't wanna be out a bunch of money.

Please Help

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I swore the Jug said MOTORCYCLE OIL, It didn't. It said MOTOR OIL. I caught it and changed to MOTORCYCLE OIL. My clutch is still slipping. How do i Fix it without costing an arm and a leg. I can fix it myself, just don't wanna be out a bunch of money.

Please Help
Your only choice is too flush the engine with the proper oil and change the clutch plates. Both steel and friction plates.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright. My bro-in-law just called and he said the same thing. My motto is "If it breaks, upgrade." What am I looking at for a budget clutch. I don't want a firmer pull on the clutch lever as I shift up and down through the gears a lot on my track at my house. I'm planning on going to Deepwater ATV Park in Clinton, MO in 2 weeks, so i need to fix this quick.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts

Please Help
Alright. My bro-in-law just called and he said the same thing. My motto is "If it breaks, upgrade." What am I looking at for a budget clutch. I don't want a firmer pull on the clutch lever as I shift up and down through the gears a lot on my track at my house. I'm planning on going to Deepwater ATV Park in Clinton, MO in 2 weeks, so i need to fix this quick.
There is nothing wrong with the OEM clutch.......

·
Registered
310 Posts
Flush it with diesel fuel then put in the proper oil, it works trust me just had to do the same with my DR650s, put in the amount of diesel to fill it completeley, start it, let idle for a minute, put it in gear, engage the clutch so it gets some use but dont drive it, then shut down drain and replace with the correct oil and new filter, this will fix it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I think I have about 10K miles on this Raptor. I bought it new at the dealer.

EDIT:
Flush it with diesel fuel then put in the proper oil, it works trust me just had to do the same with my DR650s, put in the amount of diesel to fill it completeley, start it, let idle for a minute, put it in gear, engage the clutch so it gets some use but dont drive it, then shut down drain and replace with the correct oil and new filter, this will fix it.

Wait, You want me to put Diesel gas in my crankcase?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
If the diesel will remove the anti-friction additives, can I just take the plates out and soak them in Diesel or something else. I'm pretty sure I would blow myself up if I poured diesel into the crankcase and fired up the motor.

I'm calling the dealer to price an OEM clutch kit.

EDIT:

Guess my best option is what WillyKiller said

Your only choice is too flush the engine with the proper oil and change the clutch plates. Both steel and friction plates.

I'm buyin that new clutch kit.

·
Registered
310 Posts
no the diesel would not blow up as i said i have done this with my dr650s which has just about the same style of motor ass a 700r i also do this with car motors it cleans them out really well, but with that many miles you may need a new clutch, but the diesel will fix it and not blow up, it takes extreme pressure to cause diesel to combust which the motor would not cause when being used to clean it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What's a better clutch kit? TUSK or EBC? I can get a TUSK for $50 or a EBC for $80. Kits come with Friction Plates, Steel Plates and Springs.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I am always open to new ideas but flushing an engine with diesel fuel doesnt turn my crank, especially letting it run with pure diesel fuel in the engine. Diesel fuel has no lubrication properties at all.............
When I first encountered this problem some 10 or 12 years ago when we accidently put the anti friction oil in our warrior, we washed the clutch with every kind of detergent we could find, but nothing fixed the slipping clutch, this stuff is soaked into the porous clutch plates and wouldnt come out.......................but if you want to try it, let me know how it works, and hopefully you dont blow the engine in the process or shortly after.......................

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
What is the name of the movie that those pictures are from? I know Bruce Willis is in it. That's gonna drive me crazy.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
What is the name of the movie that those pictures are from? I know Bruce Willis is in it. That's gonna drive me crazy.
5th Element if I remember right.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I know of some guys who swear by this clutch setup:

Clutch kit

·
Registered
310 Posts
I am always open to new ideas but flushing an engine with diesel fuel doesnt turn my crank, especially letting it run with pure diesel fuel in the engine. Diesel fuel has no lubrication properties at all.............
When I first encountered this problem some 10 or 12 years ago when we accidently put the anti friction oil in our warrior, we washed the clutch with every kind of detergent we could find, but nothing fixed the slipping clutch, this stuff is soaked into the porous clutch plates and wouldnt come out.......................but if you want to try it, let me know how it works, and hopefully you dont blow the engine in the process or shortly after.......................

No lubrication....have you ever really used diesel? Its the least refined petroleum fuel out there, why do you think it smokes black, more oil in it, it does have lubrication and no it wont cause your engine to blow thats why i said idle only and don't ride it, look it up on google there is deffinetly lubricity in diesel fuel.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
No lubrication....have you ever really used diesel? Its the least refined petroleum fuel out there, why do you think it smokes black, more oil in it, it does have lubrication and no it wont cause your engine to blow thats why i said idle only and don't ride it, look it up on google there is deffinetly lubricity in diesel fuel.
He's right you know diesel is oily! Im sure this would work. I wouldent discount this idea and i would try it if it would happen to me.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
No lubricatio....have you ever really used diesel? Its the least refined petroleum fuel out there, why do you think it smokes black, more oil in it, it does have lubrication and no it wont cause your engine to blow thats why i said idle only and don't ride it, look it up on google there is deffinetly lubricity in diesel fuel.
Fact: Black smoke from a diesel engine is caused by insufficient oxygen to complete the burning process.......
Fact: Diesel fuel has very low lubricity qualities now a days and is a big problem for diesel fuel systems hence the need for added lubrication using additives. Years ago diesel fuel contained sulfur to help lubricate the injection systems but now this has been pretty well removed. Sulfur was removed from diesel fuel because it is a pollutant and comes back from expelled exhaust fumes in the form of acid rain.
In answer to your first statement, yes I know diesels very well and have made my living in the repairs of diesels for well over 35 years......

1 - 20 of 27 Posts