Raptor Forum banner

How do I fix the slipping clutch from using Car Motor Oil?

13K views 33 replies 15 participants last post by  4stroker4life 
#1 ·
I swore the Jug said MOTORCYCLE OIL, It didn't. It said MOTOR OIL. I caught it and changed to MOTORCYCLE OIL. My clutch is still slipping. How do i Fix it without costing an arm and a leg. I can fix it myself, just don't wanna be out a bunch of money.

Please Help

See less See more
#8 · (Edited)
If the diesel will remove the anti-friction additives, can I just take the plates out and soak them in Diesel or something else. I'm pretty sure I would blow myself up if I poured diesel into the crankcase and fired up the motor.

I'm calling the dealer to price an OEM clutch kit.

EDIT:

Guess my best option is what WillyKiller said

I'm buyin that new clutch kit.

#3 ·
Alright. My bro-in-law just called and he said the same thing. My motto is "If it breaks, upgrade." What am I looking at for a budget clutch. I don't want a firmer pull on the clutch lever as I shift up and down through the gears a lot on my track at my house. I'm planning on going to Deepwater ATV Park in Clinton, MO in 2 weeks, so i need to fix this quick.

#4 ·
Alright. My bro-in-law just called and he said the same thing. My motto is "If it breaks, upgrade." What am I looking at for a budget clutch. I don't want a firmer pull on the clutch lever as I shift up and down through the gears a lot on my track at my house. I'm planning on going to Deepwater ATV Park in Clinton, MO in 2 weeks, so i need to fix this quick.
There is nothing wrong with the OEM clutch.......

#5 ·
Flush it with diesel fuel then put in the proper oil, it works trust me just had to do the same with my DR650s, put in the amount of diesel to fill it completeley, start it, let idle for a minute, put it in gear, engage the clutch so it gets some use but dont drive it, then shut down drain and replace with the correct oil and new filter, this will fix it.

#26 ·
Hail no I aint puttin diesel in my crankcase. I personally installed a brand new EBC clutch kit I ordered online. The only problem I ran into was trying to figure out what to do with the random notches on some of the rings. Stock kit, only 2 fiber rings had a notch on one of the teeth. EBC kit, only 2 fiber rings didn't have a notch on one of the teeth. I thought it mattered, so I wasted some time discovering it didn't. Also, the gasket was stuck on the cover, so I took a razorblade and then a dremel to it. Not enough to take away metel, just enough pressure/speed to remove the paper. After i got the old gasket off, I sprayed the debris from the cover with carb cleaner and let it dry off in the sun. Torqued the big center nut to 60, bent up the washer, torqued the 5 spring nuts to 7. Tightened everything else up, adjusted the clutch cable, replaced the oil filter, new YAMALUBE 10w40, and put the peg back on. With wide open throttle, going though the gears, it locks into the next gear real hard. Shifting is really fast and solid again, just like brand new.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP GUYS!!!

This is the kit I installed:

#9 ·
no the diesel would not blow up as i said i have done this with my dr650s which has just about the same style of motor ass a 700r i also do this with car motors it cleans them out really well, but with that many miles you may need a new clutch, but the diesel will fix it and not blow up, it takes extreme pressure to cause diesel to combust which the motor would not cause when being used to clean it.

#12 ·
What is the name of the movie that those pictures are from? I know Bruce Willis is in it. That's gonna drive me crazy.

#13 ·
5th Element if I remember right.

#21 ·
Im no expert but diesel still feels kinda oily to the touch not super oily but theres something there. I might be totally wrong and i dont want to start a debate on this thats for shure. Willy i respect your knowledge ALOT. You aint no dunce thats for damn sure and if ever i need engine work i will be asking you and gladly pay for your sevices if you have the time. But i think its worth a shot, sometimes the simplest things are the best way to go, not always but this gives me a good gut feeling that it would help his case just this time.

#22 ·
I dont discount willy's knowledge in any way at all but i do know there would be no harm caused by running diesel at idle in a motor to strip the bad oil out, as willy knows well more than me though i would follow his advise just thought i would offer some assistance as i had the same issue with my dr650s enduro slipping, i flushed it with diesel, added the proper oil and it fixed the slip, just offering some faster ways since the guy mentioned a trip in a week or so just in case he didnt have time to do the clutch replacement.

#24 ·
I have heard this story about flushing engines with diesel fuel back in the 70s. So I tried it on my dodge challenger I had just bought and filled it with diesel fuel along with some motor oil. I let it idle for several minutes until it warmed up and dumped the oil. The next day the engines connecting rod bearing turned and the engine started knocking.

Is there a connection between the diesel fuel flush and the engine problem. I believe there was.

#23 ·
Good deal!

#27 ·
ive heard of people adding diesel fuel to their oil to clean out the engine. not something i would consider...

#34 ·
@morphrider sending you a pm

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.