Raptor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than power washing, how do members clean their Raptors after a muddy ride. I notice even after a good cleaning, I can hear dirt particles grinding when I roll the quad or push down on the front or rear end. I just purchased my Raptor 2 months ago, so need to figure out how to properly clean and maintain it.
https://youtu.be/M5fCUaaSSFI

·
Super Moderator
7,695 Posts
Fridge full of beer and a few afternoon hours.

Pressure wash carefully, staying away from seals at the axle, sprockets, areas where you don't want water. Scrub brush helps, just take your time. My machine is white, so I use MR. Clean magic eraser to shine it up, follow it up with SC1 for a good shine. WD40 the chain once complete.

Everyone has their own way for sure, just take your time, sip good brew, and enjoy.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Other than power washing, how do members clean their Raptors after a muddy ride. I notice even after a good cleaning, I can hear dirt particles grinding when I roll the quad or push down on the front or rear end. I just purchased my Raptor 2 months ago, so need to figure out how to properly clean and maintain it.
Buy a $2 plastic putty knife and scrape as much mud off as possible as soon as you are done riding. That will greatly speed up the cleaning when you get home and not make such a mess. You can also use a product called SC1 to not only make your plastics look like new, but if you spray the bike down with it prior to heading into the mud it will help keep the mud off in the first place.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Rinse off as soon as possible!!!! And get all the big chunks of mud off. If I'm out riding for a weekend ill find a pond and take a bucket splash it and get it as good as i can with the pond water. Ideally a stream or river you can drive up and down in. that works best. but if I'm going for a day ride I'll come home and at least rinse all the mud off and then wash it. But if I don't have time to wash it rising only usually take 2-4 hours depending on how muddy it got. Then another 2-4 hours of soap, washing mitt for the plastic and seat, and soft brushes for the undercarriage. I do use a pressure wash but it is an electric one and it has very low pressure. It actually sucks if you need to pressure wash something. but for cleaning the atvs the electric pressure wash is priceless! you still have to avoid spraying dirt into your seals... but it will not strip off your decals or tear your seat in two. I'm supper OCD when it comes to cleaning my stuff so it will take me 2-4 days to get my raptor back to new again. I don't always do the super clean especially if i have a planned ride coming up after I just rode. I'll get it clean enough so i can work on it and mud won't be falling in my face or eyes...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fridge full of beer and a few afternoon hours.

Pressure wash carefully, staying away from seals at the axle, sprockets, areas where you don't want water. Scrub brush helps, just take your time. My machine is white, so I use MR. Clean magic eraser to shine it up, follow it up with SC1 for a good shine. WD40 the chain once complete.

Everyone has their own way for sure, just take your time, sip good brew, and enjoy.
I just recently purchased some of that magic in a spray can called SC1. Holy Smokes!!!! Good stuff. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Buy a $2 plastic putty knife and scrape as much mud off as possible as soon as you are done riding. That will greatly speed up the cleaning when you get home and not make such a mess. You can also use a product called SC1 to not only make your plastics look like new, but if you spray the bike down with it prior to heading into the mud it will help keep the mud off in the first place.
I’ve made my way to the SC1. Amazing product. I’m riding this weekend, so I’ll give it a mild spray before heading out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rinse off as soon as possible!!!! And get all the big chunks of mud off. If I'm out riding for a weekend ill find a pond and take a bucket splash it and get it as good as i can with the pond water. Ideally a stream or river you can drive up and down in. that works best. but if I'm going for a day ride I'll come home and at least rinse all the mud off and then wash it. But if I don't have time to wash it rising only usually take 2-4 hours depending on how muddy it got. Then another 2-4 hours of soap, washing mitt for the plastic and seat, and soft brushes for the undercarriage. I do use a pressure wash but it is an electric one and it has very low pressure. It actually sucks if you need to pressure wash something. but for cleaning the atvs the electric pressure wash is priceless! you still have to avoid spraying dirt into your seals... but it will not strip off your decals or tear your seat in two. I'm supper OCD when it comes to cleaning my stuff so it will take me 2-4 days to get my raptor back to new again. I don't always do the super clean especially if i have a planned ride coming up after I just rode. I'll get it clean enough so i can work on it and mud won't be falling in my face or eyes...
Great advice. I’ll have to learn how to clean the seal areas. Like I mentioned, I can hear the dirt grinding when I roll the ATV or push down on the suspension. The dirt particles literally get everywhere. I feel like I need to take it all apart, blow it out with a compressor and lube everything back up. But then I figure it’s just going to happen again after riding muddy trails. If you can’t tell, I’m also a little OCD. That grinding noise is really bugging me.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Great advice. I’ll have to learn how to clean the seal areas. Like I mentioned, I can hear the dirt grinding when I roll the ATV or push down on the suspension. The dirt particles literally get everywhere. I feel like I need to take it all apart, blow it out with a compressor and lube everything back up. But then I figure it’s just going to happen again after riding muddy trails. If you can’t tell, I’m also a little OCD. That grinding noise is really bugging me.
Thats more than likely just a little grit in between the brake calipers and discs. Stand the quad up on the grab bar, remove the front wheels and hit them with some degreaser and water.

An electric pressure washer is definitely a good investment! I use mine nearly every ride along with meguiars wash and wax and an old wash mit.

·
Registered
368 Posts
mine grinds after I wash it as well and it is from 2 things. One is minor grit on the brake rotors which goes away quickly. The other is the chain. Once I blow it off and then lube it, all that grinding noise goes away and it is ready to get after it again.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Foam gun with wash wax on the pressure washer. Since off what I can, spry soap on and let it soak, then pressure wash everything off. Once it's dry, lube the chain.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Foam gun with wash wax on the pressure washer. Since off what I can, spry soap on and let it soak, then pressure wash everything off. Once it's dry, lube the chain.
I’m on it. Followed the recommendations from great folks like you. Yesterday after riding: 1) Power Wash, 2) Foam Cannon, 3) Soak, 4) Sponge Wash, 5) Power Wash, 6) Dry, 7) SC1!!!, 😎 Lube Chain. Bike looks “NEW”.

·
If you don't wreck, you don't ride
4,451 Posts
I'm not sure on the price on SC1, but I've heard people use WD-40 the same way. I have used it on my plastics to shine it up, but I mainly ride sand so I don't usually worry about mud.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts