Raptor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is a 700 Raptor forum but I figured you could help! I I have rode a 660 Raptor that has been piped and jetted, +2 longer swingar 48" up front and 49" wide in the back. I run taller tires as well. I mainly ride in the woods. That being said I have rode my 660 for about 5 years. It has been a good one. Well I have been presented a change to buy a really nice, low hour, decked out 07 Outlaw IRS with the KTM motor for a really good price. My brother also has one of these but has only had it for a couple of months so I really cant judge it yet. I know it will scoot on the trail, rides smooth, and needs maintainance like the 660 like adjusting the valves and replacing CV boots:rolleyes:. But what more could I be in for if I get this and get rid of the raptor. I know I could switch to 700 but I am not going to get rid of my 660 just to go to a 700. The independent rear end and high ground clearance for trail is luring me away... Any educated input or personal experience on one of these would be very helpful.

Thanks!

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I know this is a 700 Raptor forum but I figured you could help! I I have rode a 660 Raptor that has been piped and jetted, +2 longer swingar 48" up front and 49" wide in the back. I run taller tires as well. I mainly ride in the woods. That being said I have rode my 660 for about 5 years. It has been a good one. Well I have been presented a change to buy a really nice, low hour, decked out 07 Outlaw IRS with the KTM motor for a really good price. My brother also has one of these but has only had it for a couple of months so I really cant judge it yet. I know it will scoot on the trail, rides smooth, and needs maintainance like the 660 like adjusting the valves and replacing CV boots:rolleyes:. But what more could I be in for if I get this and get rid of the raptor. I know I could switch to 700 but I am not going to get rid of my 660 just to go to a 700. The independent rear end and high ground clearance for trail is luring me away... Any educated input or personal experience on one of these would be very helpful.

Thanks!
One thing for sure, it's a POLARIS...........:eek:

·
Registered
267 Posts
my brother in law has two of them, 06's, one with the 500 and one with the 525. the 525 was jetted and piped and in a drag race i could beat him pretty consistantly with a few more mph on the top end...though i had a cam and cdi box too, but it was always a close race. as far as trails go a few times we have went out hes had a few odd things happen, chain rings falling off, pipe fell off things like that. if you want reliable i would stay with the raptor. if you dont mind fixing them and are looking for something new the outlaws arent really that bad, but like willy said, they are a polaris...LOL. i will admit, i did like the irs, ALOT.

·
THE SAND DUNES HAVE RULES ----- "Follow Them"-
732 Posts
What is the weight differance between the to??????

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
The 525 with the straight axle is like 375 pounds... The IRS is heavier, around the same as a Raptor 700. I have a couple of friends who have this machine and they really like it but it's like the 450's, very high maintenance... You pretty much can't go more than 10 hours on your oil, most change it even earlier...

But 50 hp @ 375 pounds... That pretty much makes it the most powerful production quad... but like the 450's, it doesn't respond to mods as well as a 700 since it's already "modified" from the factory... And it's reliability is already a bit shaddy to begin with, so with mods, it only gets worse.

It's all HP no torque too... A stock Raptor eats it for breakfast in sand, snow or uphill... But on flat grounds, it's a pretty brutal setup.. stock for stock I mean...

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
My brother has a new '10 Outlaw 450. I must say I don't like the IRS ones at all but the 525S is a sweet quad. If the 525 is like the 450, its geared very close together and isn't all that fast but it does get up an go quickly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts