Raptor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Iv bought a brand new raptor about a month ago. Iv got a slip on exhaust, pro design foam filter and Power commander to install. How long should it be run in before installing these mods please?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Anytime.
Google "engine break-in secrets".
Engine break-ins are like oil threads, several ways and opinions.
Read up on it and draw your own conclusion.
The first few minutes of an engine running set up for how the rings break in, and whether or not you actually lost hp from a lazy break-in and not varying the rpms throughout the entire range.
At this point, just bolt the parts on and ride, it'll be fine(assuming the a/f ratio of the base map is good).

·
Registered
59 Posts
I like to run a tank through it before any mods. That way you have a baseline of how it runs. If you do a ton of engine mods before you ride it and have a problem you never know if it is something you did or if it was a problem from the beginning. Hard acceleration and heavy braking during that first tank will help seat the rings. I usually heat cycle the motor a few times before I take it out for the first ride. Then at the first ride let it warm up fully, take it out and go easily through the gears and then 1/2 to 3/4 throttle in 3rd until it's a little ways above the regular shift point and then hard on the brakes. then back hard on the gas. I do this 10 times in a row. Same thing I do with car engines when I rebuild them. This will seat your rings right from the start.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts