Raptor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Breathe my dust !
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Raptor now has 320 hours, and I'm still running the stock piston, gasket, camshaft... I never did anything internal to the engine and never rebuilt it.

I just wanted to know how long will the stock engine's internal parts usually last ?
And how often do you guys change your piston ?

My quad still runs like a clock (I'm knocking on wood) but I was thinking maybe should I rebuilt it soon ??
Well in fact it would an excuse for modding the motor :D

And is it difficult to install a piston, camshaft... ?
I never did it but I did all the mods in my sig myself, I also adjusted the valve clearance once.
The problem is that I don't know any reliable mechanic to do it for me.

And is a cylinder difficult to install too ? I though if I rebuilt it why not go with a 734 big bore kit ? lol

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
Lots of 06 models around still internally stock, 320 isn't that many hours for a 700R IMO, depending on how those hours were spent of course. If you're concerned, do a compression test and leak down test.

·
Breathe my dust !
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I may do the test then, I've rode it mostly on road, but also a lot on track hitting the rev limiter on every jump.
Just wanted to know the life expectancy of a stock piston lol :D

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
If you wait until you need to rebuild it, you might have grey hairs by the time you get a chance to do your mods. I've seen 700r's that have never been opened with 20k+ miles, they are ultra reliable and unless you have a bad luck, they just last forever.

I did a cam + piston install in mine last year with a buddy. Neither of us had ever opened an engine before and we got it on the first try. It took quite a bit of time but most of it was "lost" bitching at the rocker pins and the piston's circlips.

There are lots of steps, but nothing really complex. I had a print of the service manual and that really helped. Take your time, make sure you have a clean table on which to lay the pieces. I used plastic glasses to sort my small bolts and pieces with a pencil to comment each glass, etc. Being organized really helps :)

·
Breathe my dust !
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info that's good to know !

The thing is that the raptor has plenty of power with my current mods (hmf full exhaust and PC III) however I doesn't feel like it has a super acceleration or if it was gonna pull out my arms. Of course I'm now used to it's power but I can hardly pop a wheelie in 3rd, 4th or 5th gear. It will only wheelie (only with the engine power) in first gear or in the low range of 2nd gear.
It doesn't has that acceleration bikes have.

Maybe I should go internal for more power but what's should I change first ? piston ? camshaft ? maybe a dynatek ingnition too ?

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
Mine has tons of hours on it, hard hrs 2 but well maintained like blue said. If you maintain it then it will last a long time.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
These engine with the proper care will last longer than most people keep the quad. :D I'm sure you'll see several Stock 2006 Raptors in 2020 using the original motor. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts