Raptor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I?m new to to this forum and new to owning a raptor so this is probably a dumb rookie question. Two days ago I bought my new 2018 Raptor 700r se and when reading through different opinions on break in procedures I realized I don?t know how to check hours on the engine. Is there an actual way to tell without purchasing an aftermarket hour meter? Just by mental note I think I have about 1 1/2 hours on the quad but I would really like to be more precise about it.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
8,109 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

You will need to get at minimum an aftermarket hour meter. Some of us prefer the multi feature units that trail tech has to offer. I have a vapor unit which has odometer, speedometer, hour meter,temp gauge. So much more and worth it.

Something I highly recommend for a brand new bike. Then you know miles on it as well. Those are 2 things that can't be changed once on a bike, accumulated ride time and odometer. But you have trip meters for daily rides that can be reset.

Reactions: lms1977

·
Registered
100 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

You will need to get at minimum an aftermarket hour meter. Some of us prefer the multi feature units that trail tech has to offer. I have a vapor unit which has odometer, speedometer, hour meter,temp gauge. So much more and worth it.

Something I highly recommend for a brand new bike. Then you know miles on it as well. Those are 2 things that can't be changed once on a bike, accumulated ride time and odometer. But you have trip meters for daily rides that can be reset.

How is the install? I was looking at getting the vapor.

Reactions: morphrider

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
How is the install? I was looking at getting the vapor.
I just installed my vapor recently. Its not too bad, the worst part is draining coolant so you can cut the radiator hose and install temp sensor. The instructions arent crystal clear, but the good people on raptorforum.com are willing to help if you need it, lots of guys on here running the vapor. I cant remember what i had trouble with, but i got help fast when i asked!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,109 Posts
I finally broke the super small wires leading up into my vapor unit that tells me temp. Have not looked into it too much yet, if I need to get ahold of trail tech for anything I know I will get some superb customer service from them. When I first installed it I broke the dash unit on a cold day, accidentally pushed on it. I think they replaced it free of charge, I was just trying to get the dash part replaced but they sent everything. I would always recommend them.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Hey guys I?m new to to this forum and new to owning a raptor so this is probably a dumb rookie question. Two days ago I bought my new 2018 Raptor 700r se and when reading through different opinions on break in procedures I realized I don?t know how to check hours on the engine. Is there an actual way to tell without purchasing an aftermarket hour meter? Just by mental note I think I have about 1 1/2 hours on the quad but I would really like to be more precise about it.

Thanks
A lot of people will express different views on the "proper" way to break in an engine. However, I normally allow the motor to fully warm up, race, and allow the motor to fully cool off then repeat 3-4 times. I normally change my oil between 1-2 tanks of fuel if not sooner, and clean the air filter after every outing. Have fun!

www.kbmotorsports.com
270-774-1982

·
Registered
821 Posts
Aftermarket is the solution. I installed my hourmeter before I went for first ride. About engine break in make sure it is warm then beat it. If you'll go easy on it it wont seal properly.

Welcome to the forum.

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,245 Posts
You need pressure behind the rings for proper break in. You won't get that if you baby it.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies. As for break in, i?ve Heard that it?s best to just ride it the way you plan to after break in which is exactly what I?ve done. Warm up, hard pulls through all gears and some moderate cruising/ trail riding. I?m currently running up on what I think is the ten hour mark ( still haven?t gotten the hour meter) but I plan on changing the oil this weekend before trailering it out to the dunes for some real riding. Any suggestions on the best oil for my rig?

·
Registered
821 Posts
I've changed the oil after 10 hours then again at 20 and from there on regular changes every 20-ish hours. Depends what I've been doing with it. I use Motul 5100. Its high performance and wet clutch compatible. It is also rumoured that engines burn this oil due to its high viscosity at high temperatures but I've never had a problem with and it shouldn't be a problem for any raptors well engineered engine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts