Raptor Forum banner

How many of you have been to the dunes w/stock rubber?

• Been w/stock rubber & it sucked

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Been w/stock rubber & it was worth it just to go

• Don't bother till you get some paddles

• what do you mean by stock rubber?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so how bout it? :confused: :) Got a buddy that is planning a trip to little sahara and wants me to go but i'm not sure that it would be that great to go without paddles or not. Just trying to get your guys info on this. Thanks

Michael

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
If you plan on going more than once a year, get some paddles. If you plan on going more than three times a year, get some good paddles (skat trak).

It's not the end of the world, it's still a lot of fun. But after a while the struggling up hills and to get started from a stop is no longer charming, it's annoying. Something I can deal with for a weekend though.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Ive never been to the dunes yet with my bike, but I have riden in sand alot like in riverbeds and stuff like that, and seemed to do ok with the stock tires.

·
Registered
94 Posts
06RAPPY700SE said:
Ive never been to the dunes yet with my bike, but I have riden in sand alot like in riverbeds and stuff like that, and seemed to do ok with the stock tires.
stock tires work ok in damp sand but when you get in nice dry powder you will want paddles.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
You should be able to go anywhere you want to go on stock tires in the dunes. Some of the people I go to the dunes with prefer stock over paddles.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool thanks for the info everyone :thumbsup:

·
Registered
426 Posts
Desert Racer said:
I say just go and keep your RPM's up and if you stop have the bike facing down a slope would less likely to get stuck.
Ditto on this. Keep your speed up and don't stop facing uphill (it will only take one time to find out way). It's a good time running stock rubber in the dunes, but I prefer paddles.

·
Registered
188 Posts
It's a good time ridding no matter what. Unless you totally wreck or something.

·
Registered
478 Posts
If you are with other people who dont have paddles then it does not matter you can do what you like. If you are riding with people who have paddles then get some.
If you are going to go more than once get some paddles.
I personally would not run regular tires at the dunes. Flat sand or riverbeds is another story.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Bring extra gas. You'll use a lot more of it in the dunes than you do on hard pack.

·
Registered
273 Posts
vermin99 said:
Bring extra gas. You'll use a lot more of it in the dunes than you do on hard pack.
I agree, especially without paddles. You should still go. Chances are you'll love it and go more often...then yer gonna want paddles.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I'm only familiar with the stock Dunlop tires on the '06 SE, but would think them to be similar to others. The v-shaped tread pattern is a dual purpose design. The intent is for them to be flipped around when extra traction is needed (doing so makes the open end of the "v" face forward).

To me having paddles would seem optimal on loose sand. I'd be able to fully take advantage of the power the 700 has instead of spinning/wearing down the tires every time I thumb the throttle. But having purchased two quads in the past year, and protective gear for each, I have to hold off on buying go-faster goodies for a while.

Stock tires will work fine if you air them down to 2.5 psi. I have had no problems climbing, turning, stopping, etc. when doing so on dunes in Oregon (and that was without flipping the rears around). Here's a pic of a stock rear tire on my quad. The tire has about 50 hours on it and has seen every type of terrain I can think of. I'm thinking my tires have about one season left in them and then I'll need to buy new ones.

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
Would swapping the rear tires (as mentioned in another thread) help for the dunes? Also do the front tires do a decent enough job that you can get away with just buying rear paddles?

·
Registered
42 Posts
vermin99 said:
You should be able to go anywhere you want to go on stock tires in the dunes. Some of the people I go to the dunes with prefer stock over paddles.
I dune almost exclusively and when my Raptor was new I did 2 trips with stock rubber. It sucks. You can ride but to have any REAL fun paddles are a must. I cannot believe that anyone prefers the lousy stock rubber to paddles in the dunes. Makes no sense. Even stock these quads make too much power for stock rubber and constant wheelspin is the result. Oh sure you CAN ride around without paddles and it is OK but to REALLY enjoy the dunes you need paddles. This is a proven fact.....

G

·
Bobmarlin said:
vermin99 said:
I dune almost exclusively and when my Raptor was new I did 2 trips with stock rubber. It sucks. You can ride but to have any REAL fun paddles are a must. I cannot believe that anyone prefers the lousy stock rubber to paddles in the dunes. Makes no sense. Even stock these quads make too much power for stock rubber and constant wheelspin is the result. Oh sure you CAN ride around without paddles and it is OK but to REALLY enjoy the dunes you need paddles. This is a proven fact.....
absolutly i have tried both
there is no doubt you need paddles
what kind are the best i dont know
anyone who say stock rubber is cool needs to come to dunes with me and ill show them why they arent :metal:

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've done both and paddles make a huge diffrince with paddle i was able to make it up comp. hill at dumont on my brother 250ex

·
Registered
87 Posts
Desert Racer said:
I say just go and keep your RPM's up and if you stop have the bike facing down a slope would less likely to get stuck.
Best advice, been to Dumont Dunes without Paddles, it was actually fun to slide around so easy, but shooting hills if you keep the RPM's up you should make it up most of the hills, just not the steep ones. I say do not miss the trip because of paddles.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Just go and have fun! I'm going to the raptor rally at Little Sahara in Utah and I dont have paddles, but it aint going to stop me. I will probably try the wheel swap thing though for a little bit better bite.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts