Raptor Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my 06 Raptor 700 is missing it's front sproket chain gaurd and the mounts for it to. Apparently the chain has came off at some point for the previous owner and bunched up around the front sproket doing that damage and also cracking the shifter houseing it's been JB welded by the prevous owner but now it has cracked and leaking. I plan to see about getting it tig welded. If I have to pull the motor out to have it done I am thinking about seeing if then can build up the areas for the mounts and redrill and tap the holes and put a gaurd back on just wondering if it's worth the effrot and if it will help if I ever have the chain come off preventing the damage to the shifter?

Thanks,
James

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Get a UPP case saver. They will almost stay in place without the bolts. I don't have a cover on mine just the saver on it. The UPP one is formed around the cases. I got the Moose one but its just a UPP saver in a moose package. They are worth the extra money IMO.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Get a UPP case saver. They will almost stay in place without the bolts. I don't have a cover on mine just the saver on it. The UPP one is formed around the cases. I got the Moose one but its just a UPP saver in a moose package. They are worth the extra money IMO.
Same here

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks I think I will defintally be getting one of them looks like a great idea I am glad I posted the question I did to find out about that nice lil part ;)

Later,
James

·
Registered
615 Posts
If the mounts are gone and it jas been JB welded I doubt the case saver will have anything to hold onto, depends on how much of the mounts are actually left and how much JH weld was applied.
Since the TM/UPP case savers are formed to the engine case any build up of the JB weld is going to alter how the case saver sits.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Yeah but a file to the saver will make it fit if it is built up to much. I am betting most of his damage is where the saver does not sit at. Al least the cases I have that are broken from the chain derailment are more messed up by the shift shaft. Just the lower mounting tab is broke off. In reality case saver don't do a whole lot if the chain breaks in my past experiences. Case saver or not I always have busted cases saver mounts.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dog,

Both my mounts are broken off and the shifter shaft is damaged as well (front part of it is cracked) I am thinking that if I can get some of the damage to shifter shaft tig welded than I should be able to seal it with JB weld if they can't weld it perfect. If I am going to pull the motor out of the quad for the shaft repair I think I might as well have them make me new mounts for the case saver. Why didn't Yamaha put a case saver type front sproket cover on it in the first place LOL ?

Thanks for all info

·
Registered
615 Posts
With those mounts completely gone you will not get one to stay on there. Stock does have a case saver in there if you really want to call it that but the problem with it, and all of the metal case savers is there is nothing to absorb the shock when the chain hits the mounts. Knock on wood but I have never had a chain derail on me but I keep a pretty close eye on the chain and the adjustment. I have seen friends have derailments and the one with the YFZ put a small crack in the case but his mounts were ok.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts