Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my buddy's bike but he has let me hold onto to it and I've been riding it for a few months now. I am fixing to move at the end of May up to Michigan and I am looking to buy this from him. He was talking about giving me this thing so that I would be able to do what I want with it just as long as he can borrow this every once in a while.

It's 2001 660. It has tagg handle bars, skid plates on A-arms- rear swing arm- and belly pan, has extended axles, along with custom paint and matching seat. Everything else is stock.

The tires are pretty much done for but he says they are good to go cuz u can still ride. I told him that is needs new tires cuz it's a safety issue cuz it takes for ever to get up to a good speed cuz the rear is about bald and if there isn't any thread to dig then there isn't any thread to stop, which has shot me off the trail a few times.
Also paint is cracked in a bunch of places and chipping in a few areas.
He wants $3,000 so I sent him a couple links comparing newer modded 700's in this area (no 660's in this area on craigslist anyways)and what that are going for just a little more. I really don't want to pay over $2k for this thing.

Here's the links that I sent him:
http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/mcy/2183655444.html

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/mcy/2203291522.html

Here's his Raptor that I'm trying to buy:

·
Registered
622 Posts
Ya def dont pay 3000 for it
No more then 2300 because its a 01 and they have tranny issues

·
Master of the Electron
15,070 Posts
He's insane if he want's more than around $2000 for it... going rate for an 01 is $1500 to $1800 depending on where in the country it is. $2000 and above would have to be in near perfect condition.

Show THIS one to him:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/2250230191.html

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So was there a recall on the tranny's for 01's? I know on my street bike there was a recall on the stator and a mark is stamped on the VIN plate once the recall has been taken care of. There is no mark stamped on this VIN plate if there was a recall on this.

I plan on sending him the link to this thread once I get a few more replies. Anyone else have any links to the going rate for 01's?

Thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
no recall but second gear tears the dogs off and starts feeling like the chain is skipping or something similar. mine did it, thats why i have a 03 motor now :)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Not a recall on the Trannys, but they are NOTORIOUS for having big 2nd gear problems, And if he is actually wanting 3 Grand for that thing, those ugly ass rims must be real gold :lol:

·
Registered
749 Posts
If you do a quick search on here or even google, you'll see the issues. Yes, there is a definite problem..but there is no recall...which sucks. Yamaha won't run the VIN and fix it for free like they would a normal recall.

It just seems to be the luck of the draw with them. Some ppl have issues with 2nd gear and others don't. And don't let someone give you the BS line of "if the tranny hasn't broke yet then you're fine" because my riding buddy's tranny messed up last summer on his 01 and he went on our camping trip with no 2nd gear

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He said that we'll talk about the price, but I think that I might have to pass on this if there is more than likely going to be an issue with this down the road. So the way I'll think about this is upgrade now on something better or pay a lot later on this.. I would just get a dirt bike but these are more year round and snow gets pretty deep to ride bike up around where I'll be living in MI. I'll have my street bike but I gotta have my toys for off road!

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
273 Posts
ya i just got a 2005 660 with skids and yoshi exhust for 2200 so keep looking
:D

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
You should tell him that the bottom line lowers for every month you've been storing it for him, haha. And that if he is wanting to use it whenever he wants, that's less money you should have to spend on it to make it "yours." I'm just being confrontational now. Yes, he's been cool about letting you ride his bike, but was it actually him being nice, or was it a matter of convenience? Would he have had a place to keep it if you hadn't been keeping it for him? Not that any of this determines face value of the bike... he is definitely smoking something thinking he is gonna get 3k for it. If he's stuck on that number, take your money and go somewhere else. You can get something in a lot better shape for that kind of money. Lol I agree the rims look hideous on that bike. I think the only bike I've ever thought "gold" rims looked okay on were Banshees.

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
the paint looks nice but it is paint and it will fall off, the a-arms aren't extended but the axle might be, it does have a gytr front bumper and oilf filter cover and fuel cap...I say 2300 max..

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I just had a chat with him. He is kinda like my mentor lol. He has a Government job and is in the Active reserves so once he retires in both, he'll be getting double retirement from the Government. I'm pretty much doing the same thing, but I'm a work study student thru the GI bill that gets paid minimum wage for working here lol... working on my degree and plan on becoming an officer in the active reserves and finishing the 11yrs that I have left to get my 20 in the military.
They all like me around here in this VA office so no one wants me to leave, everyone is a good generation or two a head of me so it's like I keep the youth going on around here. He just said that if I really want it that bad, that he'll sell it to me for cheap cuz he knows that I'll need something to do in the little hick town that I'll be moving to lol.
I kinda do like the Maroon/ gold scheme thou.. yes the rims look pretty bad but I will be powdercoating these next week. I do like Yamaha blue myself but I do like to be different than everyone else out there. Here's the color that I picked up to redo all the gold. Oh and I did convince him that it does need new tires and am picking up new sets of ITP GNCC H-D's for $337

·
Registered
749 Posts
i think the new gold powdercoated rims will look a lot better! and maybe come up with a color idea for the front bumper? to me, it kinda sticks out like a sore thumb from the side when looking at the gold/maroon scheme

·
RF Moderating Team Member / Wheelie Master
4,326 Posts
Around 2000-2200 I would say but I like the rims. :D

·
Registered
376 Posts
I just had a chat with him. He is kinda like my mentor lol. He has a Government job and is in the Active reserves so once he retires in both, he'll be getting double retirement from the Government. I'm pretty much doing the same thing, but I'm a work study student thru the GI bill that gets paid minimum wage for working here lol... working on my degree and plan on becoming an officer in the active reserves and finishing the 11yrs that I have left to get my 20 in the military.
They all like me around here in this VA office so no one wants me to leave, everyone is a good generation or two a head of me so it's like I keep the youth going on around here. He just said that if I really want it that bad, that he'll sell it to me for cheap cuz he knows that I'll need something to do in the little hick town that I'll be moving to lol.
I kinda do like the Maroon/ gold scheme thou.. yes the rims look pretty bad but I will be powdercoating these next week. I do like Yamaha blue myself but I do like to be different than everyone else out there. Here's the color that I picked up to redo all the gold. Oh and I did convince him that it does need new tires and am picking up new sets of ITP GNCC H-D's for $337
No offence but I dont think that color will help the rims much... I think you'd be much happier with the look of a set of ITP SS112 rims, I'd suggest the machined color for you.
Just my .02 cents though

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No offence but I dont think that color will help the rims much... I think you'd be much happier with the look of a set of ITP SS112 rims, I'd suggest the machined color for you.
Just my .02 cents though
Yeah I'll determine if I like it or not after I powdercoat them next week. Usually suppliers sell the powder in bulk 25 pounds plus but I found one on Ebay that sells individual pounds. So easy fix.
The my friend that owns this bike got it with some Hoosier flat track tires and ITP rims. I'll pick them up from him so I can sell them and get extra $ for exhaust.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
:lol: I kinda like the rims, reminds me of the honda rims from back in the day.

$1500, but IMO you should get a different bike

1 - 20 of 26 Posts