Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm sure this has been discussed already. stock for stock. the 660 is actually 559 cc's ..where the 700 is actually 686cc's right :unsure: :3question:that would only be 27 cc's more.. :3question:.

just wondering on the acceleration/ and top speed difference. if somebody could point me to the right thread :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
well actually the difference is 127cc by your numbers but the numbers are off. the 700 fixed all the problems from the 660. and its fatser and handles better. :grin_nod:

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
The 700 makes more power for a few different reasons including:

Four valve head produces better torque
EFI system is more efficient than old carbs
Displacement bump

·
Registered
735 Posts
stock the 700 is a far more advanced machine. gearing is the major dif as far as I have seen. the first few gears are shorter and the 5th is longer. Technically the 660 should jump the line first every time but the suspension and front end lightness make the back drop and the front reach for the sky.

A 700, being bigger in stock for will have an advantage when people really dig into the motor. My 660, with a 102 bore high comp piston, oversized valves, flow tested ported head and the other minor mods is a champ. Add to that top of the line boingers and a really wide 53inch stance... Gearing up a tooth in the front, this motor has no bog and pulls extremly hard from start to WFO. I havent seen a 700 in our area that can come close.

I know there are faster 700s, esp here on this forum, but it all depends on how much money you are willing to spend. He with the deepest pockets wins.

my next step is hitting the bottle. :grin_nod:

·
Registered
177 Posts
probably a 700, and i bet it is to those 450's are quick

·
Registered
298 Posts
i will woop any = moded 450 or 700 all you have to do is change your gearing. the 660 has 13f and 40r while a 450 or 700 has a 14f and 38r which makes a big diffrenc. and as long as you can tune a carb well your bike will run very strong. the only thing that i admier about the 700 is the 4 valve over head vers, the 660 3 valve over head. and the 700 sit better.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
sal said:
i will woop any = moded 450 or 700 all you have to do is change your gearing. the 660 has 13f and 40r while a 450 or 700 has a 14f and 38r which makes a big diffrenc. and as long as you can tune a carb well your bike will run very strong. the only thing that i admier about the 700 is the 4 valve over head vers, the 660 3 valve over head. and the 700 sit better.
What gearing are you running? Do you run the same gearing no matter where you are and what terrain you are riding? Surely you would run different gearing for mx than you would for hillshooting...

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
sal said:
......um the 660 is a 5 valve head not 3

·
Registered
298 Posts

it is 5 not 3 i dont know why i put that in there. what i ment to say was the SOHC on the 700 is a huge diffrenc.

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
sal said:
02raptor660 said:
sal said:
it is 5 not 3 i dont know why i put that in there. what i ment to say was the SOHC on the 700 is a huge diffrenc.
Both are SOHC.

·
Registered
298 Posts
i know that too, what i ment was with 4 valve on the 700 and the inproved sohc on the 700, that is what makes the biggest diffrence. the wheight is the same the gearing is way diffrent. im running 14 42 and dose pretty good for drag racing so far but i am always playing with the gearing to see what works the best,

·
Registered
735 Posts
keep in mind that the internal gearing is differnt on the 700 too...shorter grears 1-3, then the 5th is way long (potential for more top speed)

If your 660 is strong as hell, run 14/40 and you wont be let down. When I run a 450, they pull away first, but as soon as I upshift I am gone right past pulling hard and fast.

Both are great bikes and when modded well can stand to run higher gearing.

to me runing a 12/40 is a waste.

·
Registered
91 Posts
danos660r, I kind of feel the same way. I think alot of people make the common mistake of gearing too low for drag racing.

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
SpDdEmOn said:
danos660r, I kind of feel the same way. I think alot of people make the common mistake of gearing too low for drag racing.
Depends a lot on the race and terrain. IMO a drag race isn't a mile long shootout of who tops out faster, it's more like a 300' romp through the sand.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I might be able to see running a 12T if you are drag racing in the sand. I've never raced in the sand before but I can see where it might help. But if you aren't 300lbs and you are setting it up for drag racing on pavement and you're geared lower than stock, you are wasting your time IMO. I like the analogy by the way.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts