Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The reason I ask is i can get a good deal on a used hmf full exhaust. I have not been able to find any used duals and i cant pay 6-700 for new ones. So with the big 3, single vs duals are we just talking about 2-3 more hp? The only other thing i could ever see myself doing to my bike would be a stage 2 or 3 cam. Would a single really hold me back that much?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Tech Quad Shop is having a sale and they have duals starting at $550! check it out

·
Registered
850 Posts
An HMF single will. A good single like the sparks will not hold you back as much... But the duals flow better and produce more HP its just a fact.. When it comes to a quad 2-5hp is a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
The reason I ask is i can get a good deal on a used hmf full exhaust. I have not been able to find any used duals and i cant pay 6-700 for new ones. So with the big 3, single vs duals are we just talking about 2-3 more hp? The only other thing i could ever see myself doing to my bike would be a stage 2 or 3 cam. Would a single really hold me back that much?
The duals are worth saving up for, and we have Barker Duals at 589.00 shipped. I don't think the single will hold you back too much if you got a Sparks or a Yoshimura, but the cool factor is priceless while running Barker Duals. ;)

·
Registered
598 Posts
The sound and looks will make yu decide on duals or singles lol the dual sound is amazing

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
Barkers 589$ shipped!:wow: rybn15 you better jump on that dude thats a finominal deal! sparks x6 exhaust is 550$ on sparks site so for 39 more dollars you get one of the best duals ever made and shipped. kb you s.o.b i just bought force 4's damn you:D. GREAT price though:D

·
If you don't wreck, you don't ride
4,451 Posts
But the Force 4s are like the Barker big bores. The 589 is for standard Barkers. But I may be wrong.

·
Registered
6 Posts
duals sound cool and look cool, but the truth of the matter (after talking to a yamaha mechanic) is that duals are a personal preference thing, and that using a full single exhaust system you will make more horsepower and torque on a raptor 700. He said that a raptor 700 was designed by yamaha to run single exhaust (one reason GYTR only makes single exhaust sytems) and that running dual exhaust was actually detrimental to the performance of the bike. He also said that dual exhaust systems that run down both sides of the bike were exceptionally bad for them because the pipe that runs down the left side runs past things that weren't designed to be subjected to intense heat such as rear shock resevoir and a couple of electronic things that i dont know the name of lol. He did say that duals will give you close to the same power and torque so it is a personal choice in what exhaust system you want to run. Probably made by how much money you have to spend :). A single exhaust system is cheaper and is what i would and do run on my bike, even though i can only afford a slip on pipe right now lol.

2008 Raptor 700
dmc power programmer
K&N and intake
6 inch homemade swingarm
DG slip on pipe
22x11x8 10 paddle haulers

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm51/uncrewedsnake/2010-11-16_16-16-27_29.jpg

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
duals sound cool and look cool, but the truth of the matter (after talking to a yamaha mechanic) is that duals are a personal preference thing, and that using a full single exhaust system you will make more horsepower and torque on a raptor 700. He said that a raptor 700 was designed by yamaha to run single exhaust (one reason GYTR only makes single exhaust sytems) and that running dual exhaust was actually detrimental to the performance of the bike. He also said that dual exhaust systems that run down both sides of the bike were exceptionally bad for them because the pipe that runs down the left side runs past things that weren't designed to be subjected to intense heat such as rear shock resevoir and a couple of electronic things that i dont know the name of lol. He did say that duals will give you close to the same power and torque so it is a personal choice in what exhaust system you want to run. Probably made by how much money you have to spend :). A single exhaust system is cheaper and is what i would and do run on my bike, even though i can only afford a slip on pipe right now lol.

2008 Raptor 700
dmc power programmer
K&N and intake
6 inch homemade swingarm
DG slip on pipe

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm51/uncrewedsnake/2010-11-16_16-16-27_29.jpg
:brick:well your defintely intitiled to your opinion and i just don't have the time to responed to that so i'll leave you with this :chair: :D

·
Registered
749 Posts
one, i'd take the advice of most of these people on this board before a yamaha mechanic. i've heard many "yamaha mechanics" talk out of their ass. duals do make more power. the pipe running down the left side barely even browned or melted my plastic fender let alone melt anything like a shock rezzie

·
Registered
311 Posts
a yamaha mechanic only know what yamaha teach them,the use of oem parts.a single exh fall on your face over 6700rpm,my Force4 duals keep pulling up to the rev limiter and i have dyno sheets to back up this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
sorry wasnt trying to offend anyone, was going off what i had heard from a person i believe knew what he was talking about, i like the ways duals look and might buy a set when i can afford it but i feel that the dual exhaust still has some drawbacks.

·
If you don't wreck, you don't ride
4,451 Posts
Not mad at all and you are entitled to your opinion like previously stated, but what draw backs do you see in duals? Just curious. Because I just received a set of DMC Force 4s for less than a single exhaust.

·
Registered
6 Posts
really the only drawbacks i see 1. little bit more weight than a aftermarket single which i know is laughable and i dont even care about weight 2. the fact that some (not all ) dual setups have the pipe that runs down the left side of the bike and heats up stuff that was not designed to get hot. now i know lots of you guys have the sets that run down the left and may have had no failures due to heat but it is possible. I love the look and sound of duals and have flip flopped back and forth between the single and the duals several times. I am leaning toward the Monster Pipe duals, have seen and heard them on youtube and anything has to be better than my DG slip on it is so obnoxiuosly loud that some of my friends dont like riding anywhere close to me lol, i also like the look and sound of the barkers

·
Registered
115 Posts
I understand what you are saying about things getting hot on the left side of the engine but everything, except the shock resi, is on the motor. Can't get much hotter than that. And my fender on the left side is about 1/8 of an inch from the pipe and it has no discoloration or anything and it is a lot closer than the shock resi. I wouldn't really worry about it.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts

2008 Raptor 700
dmc power programmer
K&N and intake
6 inch homemade swingarm
DG slip on pipe

Hey bro this is absolutely not true! The yamaha tech you were talking to was obviously trying to sell you a gytr!
The fact is the rappy's love to breath! And there have been test after test performed all over the world that prove duals make a whole lot more HP and TQ than any single out there! The only single that even comes close is the sparks xx6! And even that will fall off once you start getting in the 70's + HP ranges.
However the tech was correct when he said the left pipe is to close to some of the wiring. However it is easy to fix by simply disconnecting one ziptie from the wiring and pulling the wires back a little, then wrapping them with aluminum heat tape which is available at any hardware store.
There is no issue with the rear shock reservoir.
So know that you know the facts you can go back to that salesmen and tell him he doesn't know what he is talking about. And he shouldn't give advice to people unless he knows the facts.
Also which dealership was that? Bob lampheres beaverton? Pro caliber?
It doesn't really matter I have been to all of them around here and they are all the same. They just wan't to sell sell sell. And the minute you leave the door they are laughing their way to the bank. Stick around here for a while man and you will learn what really works and what is a gimmick! :beer:

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
but everything, except the shock resi, is on the motor. Can't get much hotter than that. I wouldn't really worry about it.
+1 The motor and everything near it is going to be hot and there is no way around it. And the idea that one more pipe going down the other side is going to cause heat problems is a little rediculous.Reservoirs on shocks are there to keep them cool if I'm not mistaken or that is one of the purposes for them. And the only other thing that needs to be worried about is a few wires that need to be zip tied back and maybe some slight trimming on the fender for a pipe to get by. And the weight to power gained I believe is neglegable.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i guess ill save up. thanks for all the input. :)

1 - 20 of 58 Posts