Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how much oil does the raptor really take and how much do u put in the block and how much in the oil tank :3question:

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
Total amout it holds is 2.43 qts

Amount service manual says it need with a oil and filter change is 1.96 qts

I put a little under 1 qt in crankcase. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks

·
Registered
340 Posts
I use a quart in the case and a quart in the tank. I'm on my 8th filter and have yet to find that exra 1/3rd of quart. IE... the dip stick never reads above full.

·
Registered
973 Posts
You dont have to fill the case do you? The manual says to put half in the oil tank, start it, then fill it up?!?! Im not trying to argue, just making sure I didnt jack something up when I changed my oil.

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
07SERaptor said:
You dont have to fill the case do you? The manual says to put half in the oil tank, start it, then fill it up?!?! Im not trying to argue, just making sure I didnt jack something up when I changed my oil.
Owners manual says that but

Service manual shows to put some in each. Makes more since to put some in each to me so thats what I do :thumbsup:

·
Registered
973 Posts
Thats exactally what I thought. Do I need to do anything or is it going to be OK. The dipstick in the tank says full so do I need to put some in the case or no?

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
07SERaptor said:
Thats exactally what I thought. Do I need to do anything or is it going to be OK. The dipstick in the tank says full so do I need to put some in the case or no?
As long as you put the right amount in you will be ok.

There was a big thread on the 2 ways being told to do it a long time ago and most agreed adding to both places was best. That said as long as you arent draining the oil and letting it sit a long time before adding new oil the crankcase isnt going to be dry and its going to pump oil there quikly so both ways are probally safe. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
973 Posts
Great... thanks for the info.. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
665 Posts
07SERaptor said:
yeah but im not cool with that, i just throw 1 quart in the crankcase and 1 in the tank

·
Registered
97 Posts
what do you use to open the crank case, is it just a really big allen wrench..im not sitting looking at it right now but if i remember thats what it looks like you need..?

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
dmckinney33 said:
what do you use to open the crank case, is it just a really big allen wrench..im not sitting looking at it right now but if i remember thats what it looks like you need..?
Ya its a big allen wrench :thumbsup:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Actually its a big hex bit on the end of your torque wrench if you're doing it correctly!?!

·
Registered
556 Posts
In reality it's a semi dry sump and the only place the engine get's oil from is the tank period. The oil you dump into the crankcase does nothing except get scavenged by into the tank. The reason it lists that in the service manual is for dry starting after rebuild. There is nothing gained by dumping oil in the crankcase on this set up. I've worked with Dry sumps in many race cars and the point of pulse is right from the bottom of your tank guys.

M

·
Registered
423 Posts
Mpeavler said:
In reality it's a semi dry sump and the only place the engine get's oil from is the tank period. The oil you dump into the crankcase does nothing except get scavenged by into the tank. The reason it lists that in the service manual is for dry starting after rebuild. There is nothing gained by dumping oil in the crankcase on this set up. I've worked with Dry sumps in many race cars and the point of pulse is right from the bottom of your tank guys.

M
i dont think it really matters witch way u put it in both ways will not hurt and both are fine

·
Registered
556 Posts
True...but to say it's "preferred" is a wrong statement IMO. Flip through the Service manual and you can see the oil flow route starts from the tank...right to the pump. On the backside of the pump is the scavenger wheel which takes oil from the crankcase back up through "A" an into the tank. Both works....so do whatever you think is safer....there is just a little misleading info regarding the true flow of oil on a Raptor Semi dry sump set up.

M

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
Who said it was preferred?

Only thing I said was a thread was started along time ago and MOST in that thread thought it was better. I agreed and thats the way I do it but I agree it is probally not required but a sleep better doing it lol :thumbsup:

·
Registered
206 Posts
will it hurt it if you over fill it?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts