Raptor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking to lathe out a couple wheel spacers for the raptor. I was thinking of pushing each tire out 1.5". My only concern is when jumping, am I going to bend things? The spacers seem to be pretty popular, has anyone had problems with them before?

Thanks!
Logan

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Some people have used them and never had any problems, others have had things bend and break. If your doing big jumping then I would not get them. Save your money and buy arms. If your just a recreational rider who doesnt do anything too stressfull on the suspension then they should be ok but DO NOT get the extended lug nut ones. Get an actual spacer like durablue or something similiar.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
They tend to put more strain and stress on the bearings. Its not a good thing to move or alter stress points\loads on bearings. Another side effect of the spacers is increased bumpsteer and arm fatigue. Not only have you moved the wheel offline of the bearings, you've created more of a lever ratio in favor of the terrain your riding by increasing the distance of the wheel from your ball joint (steering pivot) which ultimatley makes steering a little harder.

The rear spacers don't have the same problem, but using spacers on a stock axle to increase width; increases your chance of bending the axle on harder jumps and high impact. Thats why the longer aftermarket axles are made of chromoly to absorb the added load without failing. (well, a majority of the time)

As far as the durabilty/reliablity, its like everthing else, you get what you pay for.
If your racing flat track or not jumping I would recommend them. My opinion is they are a cheap alternative to what you should get, wider a-arms/axle. Granted the cost is significantly cheaper and its worth investigating, but take the money you'll be using and save it till you have enough or look around for a used set. Its not uncommon to see someone selling there aftermarket a-arms, axles down in the buy section of the forum, or for that matter ebay. Do you really want to take a jump wondering the whole time that something might break if you hit it too hard?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Are you looking to do the front, rear, or both?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts