Raptor Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our son turned 8 in January. He has been on a PW50 than a ttr50 and then a polaris outlaw 90 since 4. After his second ride on the outlaw he asked "Dad why is this thing so slow?"

The 250 raptor really isn't that much bigger or heavier than the outlaw 90 and with the throttle screw it can be slowed down. Obviously I'll have to teach him to use the clutch but other than that at what age would you put your child on one of these?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I don't think there is a set age. Each kid matures and handles stress and making quick judgements differently.

You have to objectively make the decission if he can handle it. Can you handle the consequences if something happens to him or someone else if it gets away from him.

In the places you plan to ride, can he safely handle the ATV in all the terrains?

The wife and I just went through all these concerns before we got our 4yr old son his Polaris 50 at Christmas.

Check this out for more thoughts/ideas, granted it may be a little excessive, but it does highlight good things to consider.

http://www.atvsafety.org/asi.cfm?pa...1C1C239C980&referer=Working With Young Riders

·
Registered
345 Posts
being a parent and a Mom I tend to be abit more paraniod ...lol
But one thing my Husbnad and I both agreed all the years our kids have been riding is that we leave them on the quad until they fully fit and outgrow the quad .My Daughter was 12 before she was off her 90 ( it wasnt really a 90 116 stroker when we got done with it LOL ) and my Son was 12 before we had him on his 250. Both my kids are built alot different ,my Daughter smaller ,but alot longer and taller than my Boy is .
When he started breaking his 90 every singer race ,we knew it was time . He would yank up on the bars and grit his teeth MORE POWER ! lol we then knew it was time .

Make sure that HE controls the quad , not the quad controlling him. with that said, having a proper fitting quad is very important . Adding more power can pacify a rider for awhile ( although alot more added maintence) until your certain. When its time, you will know . ;)

Kids of all ages and sizes and overall experience as a rider will also vary.
Good luck ! :)

·
RF Moderating Team Member / Wheelie Master
4,326 Posts
Raptor 125?

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I agree with Yellow...If you're afraid the 250 is too much right now, the 125 seems like a good filler.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't really see any advantage to the 125 over the 250. they are the same size frame, 250 is a little wider due to the bigger tires. the 250 has the throttle limiter to tame it down. my dealer said he will never order for stock another 125.

·
Registered
307 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
My son has been on a quad since he was 3, now that he is 5 I have him on a 125. He handles this thing so well and learns so fast. I think in 2 more years he will be ready for a 250.

·
Registered
307 Posts
My son has been on a quad since he was 3, now that he is 5 I have him on a 125. He handles this thing so well and learns so fast. I think in 2 more years he will be ready for a 250.
Wow, and I thought my son was pushing the envelope! :)

·
Registered
587 Posts
He follows direction really well, and when we go out he just doesn't stop unless I make him stop to drink some water or take a break. I take 2 or 3 laps and I need a break while he just keeps going and going the energy this kid has is amazing LOL.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Thatta boy. He'll be blowing past you by the time he's 10....Assuming father funds his big bore machine :)

·
Registered
587 Posts
LOL, as long as his grades are good and he wants to ride I won't hold him back.

·
Registered
675 Posts
My son rode his 90cc kasea until he was physically too big for the machine.Anybody can sit on it and ride it,but,the main thing i feel to ask yourself is...Can he muscle it around when he has to avoid an unforseen event on the trail.Dad to dad,you are the only one who knows that.I'd rather keep him on the smaller quad a little too long than get one that he can't quit handle yet and scare him from this great sport.Oh,by the way,when you start to teach him how to shift and use the clutch,you are gonna be amazed how easy they pick it up.I think it's because they don't have other stuff like bills and work wasting space in their minds.LOL.Good luck man.Scott.

·
Registered
307 Posts
He follows direction really well, and when we go out he just doesn't stop unless I make him stop to drink some water or take a break. I take 2 or 3 laps and I need a break while he just keeps going and going the energy this kid has is amazing LOL.
I just noticed you're here in TX also, so you know how important hydration is here and sunscreen!!
Where do you ride? maybe we will meet up sometime.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I just noticed you're here in TX also, so you know how important hydration is here and sunscreen!!
Where do you ride? maybe we will meet up sometime.
Yeah I make sure he drinks plenty of water. I ride some trails here in Killeen sometimes, but now we foound a really nice track in Waco so we take the trip up there now.

·
Registered
345 Posts
my son rode his 90cc kasea until he was physically too big for the machine.anybody can sit on it and ride it,but,the main thing i feel to ask yourself is...can he muscle it around when he has to avoid an unforseen event on the trail.dad to dad,you are the only one who knows that.i'd rather keep him on the smaller quad a little too long than get one that he can't quit handle yet and scare him from this great sport.oh,by the way,when you start to teach him how to shift and use the clutch,you are gonna be amazed how easy they pick it up.i think it's because they don't have other stuff like bills and work wasting space in their minds.lol.good luck man.scott.

exactly !
Even though my boys rode since 5 yrs old , I personally would not feel comfortable until he fully out grew his 90.
That frame had more welds than frame ! LMFAO

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.