Raptor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to remove them and thought it would be a simple "pound them through" thing, but no! The two bearings are sitting right up against a machined lip. The have to be pulled out, with nothing really to grab on to.

How is everyone doing this?

One of my seals were bad and those bearings won't even spin by hand!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not sure about a 700 but on my 350 I just took a long socket extension and a 3 pound sledge hammer and drove them out from the other side. What I mean is lets say you are looking at the back of it and want to remove the one on the left. Stick the extension or whatever you are using through the right side. You should be able to just let it slide along the tube until it touches the bearing and then start hitting it with the hammer. I really had to hit it hard to get mine to come out so dont be shy. Also try alternating sides of the bearing while hitting it, maybe start on the bottom and then point the extension to the top so it comes out somewhat straight and doesnt bind up in the tube.

To insert the new bearings I took a small piece of wood (2X4) and then placed that over the bearing and hit it with a hammer. It drove them straight in without marring up the bearing or damaging anything. Do the same thing for the seal and you should be good to go.

·
The UK's fastest Raptor
1,188 Posts
you have to use a drift or similar and knock them through. Once you've moved them enough the allow the spacer to move it gets a little easier. Alternatively, you can get an expandable blind bearing removing collet from Rocky mountain for $18 which you attach to a slide hammer.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Managed to get them out. Thanks!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I changed out all the bearings on my KX450 and raptor a few weeks ago. I went to RockyMountain and picked up the tusk bearing puller kit with like 10 collets. I think it cost 80 bucks. Worth every penny!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yup that one, the additional 40mm collet was $10 extra.

·
Registered
510 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
I know you already have them out but I found just a little heat in the right places helps alot and get the remover tool its way worth it...Peace

·
Registered
400 Posts
Does this tool really work? I can't see how anything can crab the bearings when they are in there so tight. How does this tool get behind the bearing when (on my raptor) there is no gap between the two bearings or the spacer thats in between the bearings?
If there is any info on this $80 bearing puller from rockymountainATV I would really like to here it!
Thanks!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Sort of an old thread, but do you think you could rent one of those tools from an auto parts store? I'd like to try that first so I don't have to wait for more parts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts