Raptor Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HOw the hell do you drain the oil pain if the freakin skid plate is in the way?

Alot of these aftermarket parts were quickly made before they were tested. My pro armor grab bar hits the plastics, i had to carve out a piece of it. Now the skid plate, what next.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Pull your skid plate off and drain it . before you put it back on mark the drain location and cut a hole for future drains. I know all about tough fitting of parts. I got my 06 when it first came out and there where no parts for it yet and Everything I got had either a crappy fit or a crappy finish.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Crappy does not describe it. I love the freakin thing but the parts suck ass. Im so upset about the grab bar. I have another aftermarket one but its not as fat as the pro armor so i had to cut my brand new plastics a bit. Plus the metal braket shows a little. I hate it but what can you do. its the fattest grab bar out there.

Also, i hate the whole durablue axle thing, You have to guess which parts you have to use from the stock axle and what parts to use from what they give you.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I took a 1" hole saw to my skid before I installed it. Saw that one coming.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I drilled a hole in my skid as well but still prefer to remove it when I change the oil. Less mess and it only takes a few minutes, great time to clean all the crud that accumulates in there too.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bet your not married! ha It takes me an hour to get my stuff together before I go riding, forget having to take the skid plate off to change the oil. Ill give you a few months before you give that idea up!

·
Registered
767 Posts
Actually I am married, work 10-12hr days, and usually drive 1-3 hours to get to a riding spot, and it's already been a few months. ;)

cyprusrappy said:
I bet your not married! ha It takes me an hour to get my stuff together before I go riding, forget having to take the skid plate off to change the oil. Ill give you a few months before you give that idea up!

·
Registered
779 Posts
The GYTR frame skid plate is missing the front reservoir drain access hole as well. However Yamaha Canada told me that and I had to say that I didn't mind so that they would release it to me. Armed with that info ahead of time, I marked the location, took it to work, up on the CNC she went, and presto, a better hole then factory. So now it has both holes.

Yamaha had 17 of them in stock but all were on hold. They didn't have any idea when they would get proper replacements. No thanks, if you can set the rear suspension, you can drill a hole. For what it's worth, I always try to stick with factory parts. You usually can't go wrong. With the aftermarket guys, alot of times they get a guinea pig bike for an afternoon and scramble to fit a part and hope for the best. Not saying this is with all. It just sucks for those that ordered something on good faith from who knows where and then you are stuck with it if it's not quite right.

MK

·
Registered
219 Posts
I just use a hand pump (the kind you use to pump differential oil) and pump the oil out of the reservoir. Takes about 1 minute (if that).

·
Registered
665 Posts
dont like the idea of using the hand pump, i think it is better to drain and "look" at it to see if there is any shavings, if you dont drain via the plug, than you are risking not getting all the old oil or any shavings etc. just my opinion

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I agree. I want so see if any metal settled to the bottom.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts