Raptor Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in a couple of weeks I'm going up to WV to visit some friends. One has a honda 450 with a couple of mods and another has a ltr 450.
My question is what are so tricks to drag racing. Like 2nd gear starts, when should i shift, short shift, let it rev out??? I have never really been into racing mainly trail riding so I need some help here... thanks guys -- WOODY

·
Registered
478 Posts
Start in second gear, lean forward as much as possible over the bars, hammer it out of the hole, shift to third when the wheels are coming up too far, that will bring them back down for a moment. Once in third and you have the front end somewhat undercontrol start to slide your weight back as far as you can. This will help get traction to the ground in higher gears when you can use it without flying off the back of the bike. I actually end up pushing on the back of the pegs with my feet and scootedall the way back on the seat and pulling up on the handle bars. Hit fouth and now you can look back and wave at the guy.
No need to rev the 700 out, took my awhile to learn to short shift it but when it sounds like it is bogging down is when it is making its most power. I would be willing to bet that above 7000 rpms you are not doing much at all. Most power is down in th 3500-6000rpm range.
I launched myself off many many times at first learning how to to take off but now get the holeshot most of the time. Practice practice practice!!! Good luck. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
478 Posts
no clutch usually. Sometimes in the upper gears just cause the race is usally done by that point. I know some people say that it hurts the transmission but I have always done it and never had any problems. To each their own. I will try and grab the clutch sometimes when racing but more or less just lift off the throttle for a slit second about as fast as I can and grab a gear!

·
Registered
664 Posts
YellowistheFastest said:
Start in second gear, lean forward as much as possible over the bars, hammer it out of the hole, shift to third when the wheels are coming up too far, that will bring them back down for a moment. Once in third and you have the front end somewhat undercontrol start to slide your weight back as far as you can. This will help get traction to the ground in higher gears when you can use it without flying off the back of the bike. I actually end up pushing on the back of the pegs with my feet and scootedall the way back on the seat and pulling up on the handle bars. Hit fouth and now you can look back and wave at the guy.
No need to rev the 700 out, took my awhile to learn to short shift it but when it sounds like it is bogging down is when it is making its most power. I would be willing to bet that above 7000 rpms you are not doing much at all. Most power is down in th 3500-6000rpm range.
I launched myself off many many times at first learning how to to take off but now get the holeshot most of the time. Practice practice practice!!! Good luck. :thumbsup:

About that not using the clutch, if you do go with that plan MAKE SURE to let off the gas ALL the way before you pull up on that shifter, i had a blaster back in the day and i only used the clutch to down shift and to take off, but i had a friend that had one and it only took him 3 weeks to mess up his trany but i saw that he wasn't letting off the gas all the way.

G

·
If you are racing asphalt I would start out in first and when you hit it and its in the air short shift to second. All I race is asphalt and second gear starts isn;t where your going to get the holeshot. And on dirt with my 15t and 19" rear tires I have to start out in third.

·
Registered
429 Posts
If you are running the stock dunflop tires on dirt or soft terrain, second and third gear will end up with more wheel spin than lift when the loud lever is applied...lol

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
You guys are shifting without clutching it :eek: I can grab the clutch, shift and let it out about as fast as shifting an auto-clutch atv. To me, it would be faster and safer to use the clutch to shift! becuz you can still maintain power when shifting.

·
Registered
29 Posts
So in a couple of weeks I'm going up to WV to visit some friends.
Hey Im from WV and always enjoy a good ride/race. Where are you coming to in WV if you dont mind me askin? I am yet to ride with anyone from this forum.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.