Raptor Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a dumb question, but they always say the only stupid question is the one you don't ask :)

This is the first quad I have owned (ridden a few others, not much experience) so I am still getting used to some of it.
I have a question about how I should be driving my 700. I was racing my buddies a few weeks ago (Banshee and Suzuki 450, we all have full exhaust) up a Sand Mtn in UT. My mods are: full GYTR exhaust, no lid, PCIII, 15T. I found out that starting is first was useless like I have read here. So I start in 2nd. I would pull a little on them at the first, but by the time we started up the hill, they started to pull away. I kept it in 2nd all the way up, and it sounded like it was bogging a little, but still made it, but about 15-20 ft behind my buddies.

My question is what should I have done? Shifted into 3rd to get back down into powerband; shifted into first to rev it sky high; Nothing, my quad is just slow.

I realize I could just try it next time, but I don't know when the next time we will go is, and the loss to them keeps sitting in the back of my mind. I really feel I should be at least about even with them.

TIA, Aaron

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
First thing I would do is buy an PRO_DESIGN intake. Start in 2nd gear like you have, after you got alittle forward movement PIN that throttle WIDE OPEN, and before you reach 6000 rpm grab 3rd..PIN it again. Keep that throttle PINNED until you are at or over the top of the hill. You shouldn't feel like the bike is bogging, the rappys got way to much power to feel that way. good luck

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, the intake is the next mod, just need some $

The tune is from fuelmoto. I have compared it so some of the other maps and it looks to be a little richer. I am not hitting the limiter. I am about 210. I am running 20x11x10 Sand Shark 8 paddle tires.

·
Registered
215 Posts
you and I are very similair riders and I had that same issue when I was racing my friends lightly modded banshee. First has way to much torque even for my weight...if I try to nail it in first at the dunes...its lake lift off so I tried once starting in 2nd to push the bike and once the rpms got up there hold on when you get into third its comparable to when a turbo kicks in the boost in third gear is phenomenal and with your mods and a little practice you will have no problem winning races and no your bike definately is not slow...but like with anything new there is a bit of a learning curve be paitient and then open up a can of whoop butt. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
177 Posts
The way you described it ("bogging") makes me think you're holding on to second too long and the power is dropping off past 6000 rpm, so I'm gonna say "short shift". If you've ridden other smaller quads you probably got used to revving them high to get into the powerband, but you're already dropping off the far side of the powerband on the raptor at 6000. If that's the case with you, shifting "early" into third will feel like you lit off your afterburner!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Or to think of it this way: losing power by wasting rpm.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
What paddles is your buddies running?

Here are a couple of ideas:
1. Sand mountain is a big pull for a guy that is 200+ with 20" tires and a 15T. Try the 14 T and see if you can hold on to 3rd.
2. Secondly sand stars are heavy and not that great for hillshooting. If your banshee buddy is running 8 paddle (or less) haulers try switching him and see what the outcome is. I bet a set of haulers alone could make the difference between loosing and winning. I make that bet based soley on personal experience. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
pile0g00 said:
What paddles is your buddies running?

Here are a couple of ideas:
1. Sand mountain is a big pull for a guy that is 200+ with 20" tires and a 15T. Try the 14 T and see if you can hold on to 3rd.
2. Secondly sand stars are heavy and not that great for hillshooting. If your banshee buddy is running 8 paddle (or less) haulers try switching him and see what the outcome is. I bet a set of haulers alone could make the difference between loosing and winning. I make that bet based soley on personal experience. :thumbsup:
The Banshee has 8 paddle haulers, the 450 has sand stars.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
The Sad said:
The Banshee has 8 paddle haulers, the 450 has sand stars.
Try swapping tires with him and see what happens. Let use know if you get the chance even if it is after getting the intake. My personal experience is that haulers can make quite a difference up sand mountain.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys. I look forward to going and trying this out. It would be nice to beat them :)

I'll update this after I go.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok guys, finally made it back out to try this. I raced him again. This time I tried grabbing third, but I went backward faster. So that is not it. I found another 700 that said he was bolt ons with 13t. He was beating everyone in my group, going up the hill in 3rd.

So, try a 13t? 14t? Put a 36t on the rear with the 15t to make 2nd longer and first more useful?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Is this Dave and Dave you are talking about? How far were they beating you?

Sorry I couldnt hang around longer out there (I really wanted to run the mountain a bunch more), but had to keep the wife and kids entertained :grin_nod:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.