Raptor Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How to identify an 01 vs and 02+ CDI

Ok, in another thread I started, I had a no spark issue. In troubleshooting this, I bought two CDI's thru ebay, and had one spare one here (I originally bought a quad and box of parts / spare parts quad).

I know the part numbers on the CDI's are useless, but perhaps they look different?

In the course of troubleshooting, I've noticed a difference in the CDI's..

Can anybody with a 2001 660 confirm that their CDI looks like the ones pictured? And if anybody with a 2002+ 660, what your CDI looks like?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Known 2001 CDI, front and back

(Back isnt hard plastic like the rest of the case, instead its a soft gel over the electronics. Front has no "step" in it.)

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Known 2004 CDI front and back

(Back is solid plastic just like the front. Front has a "step" in it)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I think the look is the same, it's how the cdi & harness is wired. I recently re wired my 01 660 to accept a 02+ CDI. I used the same plugs but I re positiond the wires via a nice right up by QuadManiac. A quick serch should get ya close.

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
I asked nagel to post this because he is in a unique position - he has two believed 01 CDI's and two known 02+ CDI's in hand, and they appear to have different physical characteristics (see pics above)....

If enough people can respond with year of their CDI and whether it matches one or the other set of pictures as shown above, we may end up with a way to identify an unknown year CDI... as far as I am concerned, this is an important piece of information that we have not had access to before.

So, anybody that is able to look at their CDI please do so and respond - what year is it, and which picture set, above, does it look like? With enough responses, hopefully we'll have a definitive answer to ID'ing CDI year from the way it looks and we'll make a sticky to that effect for the help of all.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
OK, in that case, I have my OEM 01 CDI in my hands as we speak. It is just like the 1st 01 pic & discription that Nagel posted.
thear are some markings on the front of it...5LP-00 & under that..F8T37971 0Y08..& at the bottom...Exterior <PBT> Interior <PUR>...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TTT

C'mon guys, its not hard to take a look at your CDI and tell me which year your quad is and which CDI matches..

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
I agree! COME ON MEMBERS - let us know???

·
Registered
123 Posts
I don't have my stock CDI anymore, but did some poking around on eBay, looking at different OEM CDI's that were for sale and noticed the same thing on all of the '01 has a flat face, while all the '02 and up had the "step" in it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ok, in another thread I started, I had a no spark issue. In troubleshooting this, I bought two CDI's thru ebay, and had one spare one here (I originally bought a quad and box of parts / spare parts quad).

I know the part numbers on the CDI's are useless, but perhaps they look different?

In the course of troubleshooting, I've noticed a difference in the CDI's..

Can anybody with a 2001 660 confirm that their CDI looks like the ones pictured? And if anybody with a 2002+ 660, what your CDI looks like?
You are corret. The 2001 CDI box is visually different from the 2002+ models.

I run a used atv parts business and have dismantled allot of 660 Raptors. That is the easiest way to tell the difference.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have an 03 660 and mine looks just like the 04 one pictured. Solid plastic all around with stepped front..

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
Thanks, all - It sure looks like the Raptor's CDI year can be identified now (Images thanks to Nagel)

01 - flat front, rear filled (encapsulated) with potting.

01 FRONT (note flat face)

01 REAR (note that housing is hollow cup, filled in rear with potting material)

02+ solid plastic front and rear with step in front face.

02+ FRONT (note step in face)

02+ REAR (note solid plastic surface)

·
Registered
116 Posts
For what it's worth, here's a picture of the CDI mounted in my buggy.
The donor Raptor was a 2001.If you look close, the part number is the same as the one posted earlier. It looks like the four digit number to the right may be a date code.
I believe the first number of that four digit code is the year.
Dan

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
I've added this info (and a link to the post) to my Sticky on 01 vs 02 CDI's and wiring harnesses. Thanks for all the information!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts