Raptor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anybody could tell me how to get good air in the raptor or any other bike for that matter. When i go out i can jump but no where near the distance i would like, its probably because i am a wimp but i am sure there is some way to do it to get more air. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
well more speed and more bravery will get you higher, personally I am scared to death to jump any higher than like 3 feet... but that doesn't mean I have a small peepee though :lol:

·
Registered
584 Posts
That lever that your right thumb pushes. :lol:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will make sue to try that next time thanks, I have heard of people "preloading" before jumping has anybody heard of that and what does it mean

·
Registered
14 Posts
preloading the suspension is done with timing. As you go up the face of the jump you should have all of your weight on the pegs, just before you crest the jump you compress the suspension just like if you were standing and jumping for a rebound, as you go over the crest you release your weight without leaving the pegs. As an example imagine trying to jump for a rebound without bending your knees! Now preload your suspension (legs) and see how much higher you jump. The timing of the preload process is tricky at first but you'll find you can jumper farther/higher almost immediatly. Hope this is helpful. Also remeber having more "balls" is only usefull if you dont smash them all to he** on a wipeout!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks i will try that next time i am out, and hopefully i will make it back in one piece to let you know how it worked out

·
Registered
143 Posts
push down on the left analog stick as you approach the jump, then push forward as you leave the jump!!!

·
Premium Member
6,553 Posts
Very good explainations :thumbsup:, now lets put it on a short vid: 3rd gear, medium throttle, hit the jump square and let the machine do the work over the 50ft double.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
VelociRaptor said:
Very good explainations :thumbsup:, now lets put it on a short vid: 3rd gear, medium throttle, hit the jump square and let the machine do the work over the 50ft double.
hey where ya riding there velociraptor. lol sweet little track bro.

Sorry just looked at your Profile. hold the hell up. your from AL. Im from Mobile area (grand Bay) but im stationed in DC rigth now with the AF. Im coming home in a couple of weeks (Feb 15th ish) Maybe we could hook up and ride if you near. LOL later WOODY --- Oh yeah ROLLL TIDDEEEE

·
Premium Member
6,553 Posts
Track about an hour from the house in Gordo AL. I will have some more on the way in the next few months for sure. Im practicing for the ATVA National at Pell City AL thats comin up and me and ChrisK14 are going to try to be in(Open C class). Its a pretty fun track, was going to go to Pell City but they were having bike only practice saturday :mad:

·
Premium Member
6,553 Posts
Monster Mountain in Tallassee AL, just east of Montgomery. I can meet ya half way, that sounds fair.............and its an AWESOME track, I mean AWESOME!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice vid, you guys don't know of any tracks around salt lake city, ut. do you because that looks funnier than hell and it would be good practice for me.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Actually I juust caught my first real air this weekend. There was a small double out in the woods down here. Maby 4 feet high and 10 feet long. Any way everyone was jumping it and making it lok sooooo damn easy !! I kept rolling up to it and pussying out (no medical insurance right now). Finally after like 2 hours of watching people jumping it a guy on a 400ex that weighed at least 300 lbs just came along an cleared it no problem , I was like oh hell no!!
Anyway, on my first attempt i hit it at like 15mph, and didnt have enough speed and my worst fear was realized in the air !! I was going to smack front end first into the back side hump. (didnt come close to clearing the gap !! )
But to my pleasent surprise, nothing happened !!! the Elkas just soaked up the hit and i was fine. That was the worst i could land and there were no cosiquences!! these quads are really amazing!! After that i was prettymuch fearless on my next approach. i went maby 20 + mph and cleared the double no problem super soft landing and was instantly addicted. I jumped it maby a dozen more times and i can honestly say that was one of the best experiences i have had and not to mention the fulfillmen of a lifetime dream. To FINALLY catch air ! I love my raptor !!!!

·
Registered
379 Posts
I asked the same question a couple of weeks and pretty much took the advice that practice and breaking through the fear barrier was the way to go.

I practiced on a jump with a gradual incline and slowly increased my approach speed each time. After 20 mins or so I was clearing 30 odd feet. The good thing was that I never really got more than about 4 feet off the ground so the risk of a crash a burn was low whilst still giving me the opportunity to feel how the bike behaved in the air.

I've also tried a couple of bigger dune type jumps but not being able to see the landing zone until the last minute scares the shite out of me.

Oh well if was easy it wouldn't give you a buzz would it!

·
Registered
833 Posts
just take it in baby steps you don't want to kill yourself

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
NO definetly not, Thats why i posted the question. i see the guys on motorcycle do crazy stuff (granted they are a different machine) but the technique i am sure is the same. But i will play around next i am out, thanks for the advice

1 - 18 of 18 Posts