Raptor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
yeah, you have to buy a spanner wrench from your local store. look at teh top of the springs and you will see 2 castle nuts, turn teh bottom one so that it compresses the spring then take the top nut and run it to the top of the shock and then tighten the lower nut back up to where you settled on teh top nut. this will change yoru spring preload so you may need to adjust your shock settings

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I dont think there is any adjustment for the 06 shocks just the spring, but I could be wrong, I will check. I assume this will stiffen the ride? No big deal as I just ride dunes and dont jump too much. Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
YellowistheFastest said:
Thanks for the info. I dont think there is any adjustment for the 06 shocks just the spring, but I could be wrong, I will check. I assume this will stiffen the ride? No big deal as I just ride dunes and dont jump too much. Thanks again.
You are right you just have springs. You can soften the front up a little and this will lower it a little but not much. Just use a pipe wrench to turn the adjuster at the bottom to its lowest setting. This is the best you can do but it will also bottom out easier set there. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
NixRaptor350+350 said:
Should you adjust it your weight? I know mine is brand new, but it rides pretty stiff in the front. The back has a lot of give.
Ya there is a test you can do to see if they need to be adjusted for weight. Maybe someone can put a link up, I cant think of it atm. I remember you measure the distance from the grab to the axle with you on and off the quad but not sure what the measurement should be.

I am about 155lbs and I run my rear where it was stock and I stiffened the front up a little to keep from bottoming out.

·
Registered
119 Posts
To setup the rear shock....just have someone lift the grab bar and measure the distance from 2 FIXED spots on the bike. 1 at the fender directly above the axle and the 2nd on the axle some place fixed. Let the other person SEE where you were measuring so they can measure there in the next step.

Step 2...put your boots, helmet and any other heavy gear you ride with on and get on the bike in your normal riding position. Have your assistant (friend) measure the same 2 points and right the number down.

To have optimum setting, you want about 25% of the total travel for the preload. So if the shock can move 16" you want the preload to be 4" when you sit on it without riding it.

Hope this makes sense....I know there are insturctions, but this is the basics.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.