Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just recently got back into the quad game after a long time off due to not having a place to ride. I hear a lot of guys say how the yfz 450 feels so "stable" compared to a raptor. How do we most effectively achieve that stability while keeping the budget reasonable and not making the bike so wide that it starts to look and handle weird?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
You need factory SE or R, or aftermarket adjustable, remote resivoir front shocks.
All 700's have adjustable rear shocks.
Base model 700 have non adjustable pogo stick front shocks(only preload is adjustable).
Set the suspension sag to your body weight, plus the weight of any gear you wear.
If you are 150-190lbs ish, you will be able to get proper sag.
If you are lighter or heavier, you will need the shocks resprung and/or revalved( you can benefit greatly from this even if you are in the stock weight range).
The front effects the rear, and vice versa. If one is off and the other is correct, the whole ride still suffers.
Also, a chain that's too tight will limit rear suspension travel and screw up handling too.
Suspension sag setup is the first thing that should be done on Any sport bike or atv.
It's night and day.
Search suspension sag and start reading.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
You can get carbed 450 front shocks and flip the rear link to lower it some, that helps. After that your looking at wider arms/shocks and axle.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you want it to feel like a 450 why not buy one? The higher seat position is what feels different and this is the thing that makes the Raptor awesome. Instead of your knees being bent past a 90 degree angle, like on a 450, they are less than that so you can soak up bumps and stand up easier. Saves your back a TON of abuse.

·
Registered
26 Posts
find front arms and shocks from a 450 "R" and then a wider axle for the rear along with flipping the link, but not very cost effective unless you have some money to burn, and then still the weight distribution top to bottom is different due to design, not much but being up higher on the quad will do that, and seat position makes a difference due to the 450 you can get all up on the tank the 700 you cant ,,, 2 complete different quads in both power, rideability and purpose, you wanna slip your clutch and ride on the rev limiter for race style stuff get a 450 if you want instant torque and a comfortable Cadillac type of ride and still decently be able to maneuver through stuff and jump get a 700R,,, as stated base models front shocks are pogos, im pretty sure ive even seen non-resi rear shocks on early base models

·
Registered
26 Posts
sorry just saw you wrote this in the 660 section,,,, if you have a 660 just sell it and get either bikes depending on style the 660 was a horrible platform in my opinion, ive riden $10k invested 660's and they were still trash

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sorry just saw you wrote this in the 660 section,,,, if you have a 660 just sell it and get either bikes depending on style the 660 was a horrible platform in my opinion, ive riden $10k invested 660's and they were still trash
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll start with really getting the suspension set up properly, especially with Kevin's rebuilt front shocks coming soon. After that, maybe some modest widening of the front and rear end.

Why exactly did you find the 660s trash? I have no frame of reference as I've never ridden a 700, but I will be buying a new one once the supply and demand issue gets under control. The 660 will be just a nice bike to have around.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Widening After getting shocks set up is a Bad idea, as they will no longer be set up correctly to handle the wider A-arms. You must have them set up for the correct width arms, as well as rider weight.
Front spacers are also terrible, as they increase bump steer...which is exactly what it sounds like.
You also do Not want the rear wider than the front, as handling/cornering will suffer. Spacers are fine to use on the rear.

As for 660's being "trash", lol, no, they are not. Someone must have had bad experiences with them, and formed that opinion.
I have owened them, and ridden and worked on several.
Mine and another had 450 front shocks, and they make a Big difference in handling.
I set the carbs with the Clear Tube Method, trimmed the float stops, used DJ jet kits, and removed the air box lids on them all for a noticeable gain. One with a stage2 cam had even more umph.
A 700 Raptor of another friend's outran them all...but only by a few lengths...which is to be expected with a better flowing head with fuel injection.
660's are good machines and good engines.
They are 15-20 years old now, and alot have been abused.
So I'm not suprised if people's impressions are based on worn out machines.
If you ride a 660 and a 700, both with good engine and suspension set ups, unless you drag race, you won't notice any major differences.
I just finished a carb setup on a friend's 660 and I got a new 700.
To get off of one and on to the other is not a big change.

·
Master of the Electron
15,113 Posts
He's a troll with no real advice...

MDW - you're following the correct path, similar to what I have done - and I am extremely happy with my 660's stance, handling, stability and, especially, it's strong, DEEP, low end grunt. NO high revs necessary 450 will ever get near that!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's good stuff to know. I'll make sure to get the front suspension set up for any A arms I get in the future, and already knew to not get wheel spacers for the front. I'll make sure to not make the back wider than the front as well.

Luckily my 02 660r is VERY low hours and literally everything on it was stock and original. Even the dunlops on it are original... But soon to be replaced. The seller barely put any wear and tear on it.

And I agree QM, nothing can compare to the deep grunt of a raptor blasting through the woods. I grew up racing 80 and 125cc two strokes, and they were fun, but the raw torque of a big 4 stroke just can't be matched. Thanks again everyone!

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,549 Posts
find front arms and shocks from a 450 "R"
Just a note for anyone with a 660, the 450 R a-arms "will not fit".
450's, with carburetors, a-arms are the "same" as a 700 and interchange.
Shocks from a 450, with carbs, will fit the 700 and 660, lowering the front about 1 in. The 660 will need come clearancing on the a-arm.

Reactions: Mdwilson2011

·
Registered
26 Posts
Shocks from a 450, with carbs, will fit the 700 and 660, lowering the front about 1 in. The 660 will need come clearancing on the a-arm.
I realized after I posted it was labeled as 660 should have stated to void the previous info,,

·
Registered
26 Posts
He's a troll with no real advice...

MDW - you're following the correct path, similar to what I have done - and I am extremely happy with my 660's stance, handling, stability and, especially, it's strong, DEEP, low end grunt. NO high revs necessary 450 will ever get near that!
yeap just another troll with no experience or knowledge that's why I said what I said, good catch man you saved the day with that one, good thing I wasnt stating my own personal experience and or opinions on the subject next time ill just post about what everyone else feels and thinks about the subject, man did I screw the pooch here...……...I bought a 2001 660 brand new and sold it a few months later to buy a banshee, "TO ME' even the banshee handled better, I ended up selling the banshee years later for a honda trx450 which was "TO ME'' way ahead of the 660 in power and handling, theres a reason full trinity built 660's stay for sale for years when a clean average 450 with a pipe will sell better that will, but hey to each their own just giving out "MY OPINION'

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
The 660 A-arms need clearance cut out below the lower shock mount for the 450 shocks to fit.
If not, the lower bolt hole will not line up.

·
Master of the Electron
15,113 Posts
No offense, FatBoy, but the guy has a 660 and asked for help with IT, not for everyone's opinion on what he should have gotten. "Sell it and get XXXX" is a common troll comment and doesn't help him a bit with his request.

Didn't see your name on the post above that one with some help (although partially in error) - I am apologetic for that! But you ARE in the 660 section... what do you expect when you brand the quad we love as 'trash'? I wouldn't take a 450 if you paid me, but you don't see me on that site bashing their platform. Yes, to each his own.

·
Registered
26 Posts
No offense, FatBoy, but the guy has a 660 and asked for help with IT, not for everyone's opinion on what he should have gotten. "Sell it and get XXXX" is a common troll comment and doesn't help him a bit with his request.

Didn't see your name on the post above that one with some help (although partially in error) - I am apologetic for that! But you ARE in the 660 section... what do you expect when you brand the quad we love as 'trash'? I wouldn't take a 450 if you paid me, but you don't see me on that site bashing their platform. Yes, to each his own.
guilty, I responded to the wrong forum, it was mostly a humorous response but as with most things behind a keyboard the proper attitude of the statement cant be conveyed, to which Ill take the hit for, since I have you here and you are a fan of something I found less attractive what keeps you on the 660 vs getting a 700? honest question not shitbashing or anything, and why not a 450?

·
Master of the Electron
15,113 Posts
what keeps you on the 660 vs getting a 700?
Real good question!

!) I've (frugally) modded my 660 to be exactly what I want. I'm a big guy - 6'5"/275lbs and, after mods, it fits me perfectly - I'd have to do some similar mods to a 700 to match what I've got now. The 686 (700) is just marginally more powerful (stock) than the 660 stock... mine is not stock. 450 is a smaller platform - doesn't fit me as well - and it is a revver - missing low end torque, lots of high RPM HP... I prefer torque over HP and dislike having to keep shifting to maintain the torque curve (almost 2 stroke like).
2) I've never (never say never) had a lick of trouble with my 660 so the reliability of fuel injection hasn't been an enticement
3) I'm getting older and not as forgiving of unplanned 'departures' while riding so, instead of upgrading my quads, I've been getting side by sides... we now have added a Rzr XP1000 2 seater and a Rzr XP4 Turbo 4 seater.

I've been slowly selling off my other quads - we had 10 at one point, ergo my screen name; now down to 5. Unless I come across a hellatious deal somewhere, I am probably done buying any more.

Reactions: Mdwilson2011

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,549 Posts
Real good question!

!) I've (frugally) modded my 660 to be exactly what I want. I'm a big guy - 6'5"/275lbs and, after mods, it fits me perfectly - I'd have to do some similar mods to a 700 to match what I've got now. The 686 (700) is just marginally more powerful (stock) than the 660 stock... mine is not stock. 450 is a smaller platform - doesn't fit me as well - and it is a revver - missing low end torque, lots of high RPM HP... I prefer torque over HP and dislike having to keep shifting to maintain the torque curve (almost 2 stroke like).
2) I've never (never say never) had a lick of trouble with my 660 so the reliability of fuel injection hasn't been an enticement
3) I'm getting older and not as forgiving of unplanned 'departures' while riding so, instead of upgrading my quads, I've been getting side by sides... we now have added a Rzr XP1000 2 seater and a Rzr XP4 Turbo 4 seater.

I've been slowly selling off my other quads - we had 10 at one point, ergo my screen name; now down to 5. Unless I come across a hellatious deal somewhere, I am probably done buying any more.
Do you have enough leg room in a Rzr? At 6ft 2, I got a CanAm for leg room. Knee and hip replacements don't help.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts