Raptor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive read, seen and heard of guys being skidish about Helicoils so here we go on the ins and outs of thier wonderful use. If youve got a stripped or pulled threaded hole this is the key of getting it back together without having to replace the said part. Just simply go and buy you a Helicoil or Powercoil kit and get it fixed. Just simply drill out the damaged threads with the supplied/recommended size drill bit.
After you clean al of the chips out of the hole and clean it out with brakeclean take the tap that came in the kit to cut the threads for the Helicoil, be sure to use Tapmagic or some other tapping fluid(even some WD40 will work) to make cleaner cut threads unless your tapping cast iron then do it dry:

Once you tap the hole all the way to the bottom clean the chips out again with some brakeclean:

Take your Helicoil install tool and an insert and follow the instructions of how to install it.
Once you start to thread the insert into the hole take light pressure to guide it into the threads and twist it into position all the way flush with the top of the hole:

Once its all the way in make another half turn to drop the insert just below the surface:

Now, be sure to take the tool or a screwdriver to break the tab off the bottom of the insert and remove the broke off tab.
Your done. BTW, if you are repairing a sparkplug hole or something you dont want a chance for the tab to fall into just use some needlenose pliers.

·
Premium Member
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your welcome. A properly installed Helicoil or Powercoil is stronger than when the original threads were new.

·
Registered
17 Posts
crankcase oil drain bolt

Ok so I stripped the threads in my crankcase and was told my the Yamaha service guy that helicoils leak. If it is installed properly will this happen?

·
Premium Member
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It will not leak. When you put a helicoil in somewere thats in contact of fluids use Loctite 262 on the Helicoil when installing it and let it setup before putting the bolt in. Also when you are drilling and tapping in those areas that you dont want chips to fall in put axle grease in the flutes of the drill and tap and that will hold the debri.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Also when you are drilling and tapping in those areas that you dont want chips to fall in put axle grease in the flutes of the drill and tap and that will hold the debri.
Worked great for me!

Also another type of thread replacement is Time Sert. They are a solid piece versus a coiled wire.

Chris

·
Premium Member
6,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Correct, I use Timeserts when theres alot of material around the damaged bolthole but the threads are stripped so bad the hole is already bigger than the helicoil size that replaces it. Timeserts are a tad bigger than Helicoils. Another thing Ive done is drilled and tapped a hole out for a larger bolt size, installed that size bolt and then cut it off flush and drilled and tapped the middle of the bolt.

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
Hey bo, when you do the bolt drilling and tapping, don't you have to use a really low grade bolt? Can you actually drill and tap a grd 8?
thanks
craig
just a wondering

1 - 10 of 10 Posts