Raptor Forum banner
101 - 120 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Break it up, Break it up!:) Although, I still would like to verify if you just short the clutch sensor when the stock perch is removed.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Not sure on the clutch sensor, It's thear to alow you to start in any gear aslong as the clutch is pulled in. worst case ... you wont be able to re start unless your in nutral.
QuadManiac is real good with the electrical side of things, maby give him a shout..
Good luck.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
I am removing the clutch perch thats why I was looking for further clarification. I understand the PB unplug thing. Just wanted to verify the clutch sensor.
Just take a multimeter and put it on the sound setting(Audible Continuity (buzzer))
, its just an ohm measurement that sounds instead of you having to read a number. When you switch it to this, you should hear a sound when you touch the meter leads together. Unplug the wiring connector end of the clutch sensor and put a lead on each contact in the harness(make sure its the one coming from the clutch perch and not the main harness on the quad). If the meter makes a sound when you ARENT pulling in the clutch it means you can just unplug the sensor and it will work, if it doesnt make a sound then you will need to connect the 2 wires together to bypass that sensor.

For legal reasons(Yamaha) im guessing it closes the contact when you pull the clutch in so if the harness was to fail or get unplugged, etc... then it wouldn't be able to start at all.

If you didnt understand all of that(or dont have a multimeter...even harbor freight free ones have the Audible Buzzer), unplug it and see if it starts with the clutch out...if it doesnt, connect the 2 wires and it should. Its simply a On-Off switch.

·
Registered
14 Posts
How does it take 11 pages of back and forth to explain this??? This should be cleaned up and made into a shorter factual version. Too much reading for a sticky IMO

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
How does it take 11 pages of back and forth to explain this??? This should be cleaned up and made into a shorter factual version. Too much reading for a sticky IMO
The very first post explains it...the rest is just bickering and questions about other things like the clutch sensor.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
The problem with facts is that people don't always believe or fully understand them. And while all situations would be expected to be the same there are sometimes variations. So if you let the conversation play out the hope is that whatever idea or question or contradiction that a reader might be thinking of is hopefully already addressed by the time they get to the end of the thread.

·
Registered
198 Posts
if i remove my parking brake on the caliper and put a blockoff plate on it, what do i do about the wiring?

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
Please read the first post in this thread, the sticky. It tells you how to remove the wiring.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I don't have the quad here to look at so I'm just going by the manuals info. Last time I looked at the quad, the green w/yellow strip wire that came off the CDI was starting to corrode due to insulation damage. If it corrodes all the way and creates an open, this will be the same as just disconnecting the parking brake plug? Sorry for asking, but I am just looking at the manual to try and figure out if I need to fix the wire at the CDI.

·
Master of the Electron
15,524 Posts
Yes, Jas. Just cut the green/yellow near the CDI and the problem will be permanently eliminated.

ANd to the others - if you short the black/yellow to ground, this is the same as pulling the clutch lever (which closes the contacts on the clutch switch) - the CDI will think your pulling the clutch and allow starting of the bike in gear.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Yes, Jas. Just cut the green/yellow near the CDI and the problem will be permanently eliminated.

ANd to the others - if you short the black/yellow to ground, this is the same as pulling the clutch lever (which closes the contacts on the clutch switch) - the CDI will think your pulling the clutch and allow starting of the bike in gear.
Just be sure to have it in neutral or the clutch pulled in when you go to start it. LOL Scared the crap outta my buddy when he went to take my quad for a ride while I was in the porta potty, all I heart was the some laughing, the starter whine and then some cursing.....:D:D:D

·
Registered
201 Posts
or parking brake senor..

ok heres some clarifacation...i have a 05 raptor and no it does not have a parking brake sensor.. if what u think is the parking brake senor on the clutch perch of your handle bars has 1 black wire and 1 black wire with yellow stripe, that plugs into a white 2 prong connector... located behide the left headlight,this is the clutch switch and not the pb sensor... also u can engage the parking brake and thump throttle and wont stumble at all... so 01 thru 04 yes pb sensor.. my 05 does not have 1... hope this helps . iam expering a reverse light flash at high rpms only.there is a 1 sec pause between flashes. so on to next, maybe reverse connection dirty at sensor,, maybe high rev limiter.. any info or help shoot me a private message..

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
ok heres some clarifacation...i have a 05 raptor and no it does not have a parking brake sensor.. if what u think is the parking brake senor on the clutch perch of your handle bars has 1 black wire and 1 black wire with yellow stripe, that plugs into a white 2 prong connector... located behide the left headlight,this is the clutch switch and not the pb sensor... also u can engage the parking brake and thump throttle and wont stumble at all... so 01 thru 04 yes pb sensor.. my 05 does not have 1... hope this helps . iam expering a reverse light flash at high rpms only.there is a 1 sec pause between flashes. so on to next, maybe reverse connection dirty at sensor,, maybe high rev limiter.. any info or help shoot me a private message..
Pretty sure that reverse blinking means that the rpms were too high for too long or something like that.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
The PB sensor wires are black with yellow tracer and solid black correct? My '01 has that color combo but the connector was swapped out with wire connectors at some point in its lifetime. After reading Rapaholic's post I am not sure now.

·
Master of the Electron
15,524 Posts
The CLUTCH switch wires are black/yellow and black. If shorted together the quad will start in any gear, any time.

The PB switch wires are Green/yellow and black. They MUST NOT be shorted together - when they are the PB RPM limiter is on - we don't like it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
This was exactly my problem. The previous owner cut the black wires and tied them together. Duh! Pulled the plug apart and it runs fantastic!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I removed this and I still have to stalling/spitting/sputtering. Cut the green/yellow wire at the CDI and all that fun stuff.

Could it be my CDI itself is junk? and keeping this limiter on?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I removed this and I still have to stalling/spitting/sputtering. Cut the green/yellow wire at the CDI and all that fun stuff.

Could it be my CDI itself is junk? and keeping this limiter on?
It could be the connection to the cdi itself

101 - 120 of 124 Posts