Raptor Forum banner

How To: Remove PB Sensor

92K views 126 replies 61 participants last post by  Jp2c+ 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, first locate the left headlight, it looks like this.

Take the headlight off and follow the wire from the top of the clutch perch down inside and tug on it while watching the wires, you should see and white plug with 2 wires going into it behind the bracket that supports the radiator. Unplug it, you should now see this. The plug is outlined in yellow and pink.

On my quad, I took the whole wire off the thing. To do this you need to remove hood, then undo the 2 wire clamps, 1 on handle bars, 1 by steering stem. Now on top of the sensor at the perch, you need to push in a tang and pull at the same time to remove it, now pull it out and put the wire clamps back on and put it all back together. The wire you took off should look like this.

Your done, enjoy your riding free of engine cutting out.

Some people get confused reading the rest of the thread...THE ONLY THING YOU NEED TO DO IS UNPLUG THE SENSOR. DO NOT WIRE ANYTHING BACK TOGETHER, REMOVE THE PLUG AND STOP.

See less See more
#29 ·
How do you remove the Reverse Rev Limiter ??? do tell , that sounds pretty good to me

#31 ·
when the pb sensor is still in . . . if you have your parking brake cable even pulled out a little, wich it can slip out by itself, then the parking brake sensor puts a rev limite on you wheeler, causing it to spit and spuder. . . preventing you from driving off with your parking break on. but the problem is it can do this when on a ride , or when your racing around, and its no fun if it acts up and you dont know what it is(happend to me :mad:) so the easiest thing to do is just remove the sensor, its simple, and takes no time at all.

#33 ·
not a problem :thumbsup:

#36 ·
I had broken the switch on the parking brake itself in a rollover, so it was switching on and off randomly. Somebody told me you had to close the circuit but no, just pull out the plug like they say and you are ready to go! :thumbsup: I put some silicone sealant in the plug just to be sure. (I ride in mud alot.) Again, excellent sticky. Thanks Limited660 and other raptorforum members. KARMA coming at ya. And I even used the "search button" limited. :lol:

#38 ·
I pulled it out, still having a problem on my 2001, but my 2002 works great now!

-kyle

#40 ·
So am i correct that you want to create a permanent OPEN circuit on the PB sensor, and a CLOSED circuit on the clutch saftey?

#93 ·
I read through the whole thread and I think I know the answer. But just to be 100% clear. The above statement is true?

#41 ·
If your parking break rev limiter kicked in when your riding it could be very bad. And if it has kicked in you would know.

-Kyle

#42 ·
I did it the same way, but i didnt remove the wire, i just unplugged it and sealed off the plugs with electrical tape.

Bump for a good how to.

#45 ·
The parking break sensor lets the electronics know if the parking brake is activated or not and if it is activated it will make the motor cut out so it doesnt try to move, the problem is the lever where the sensor is can become loose or the sensor can malfunction and cause the electronics to cut the motor out randomly without activation of the parking brake.

#47 ·
No, all it does is get rid of the PB rev limiter.
To start in gear, you must bypass the clutch switch, follow the wires from the clutch switch to the area where they plug into the main wiring harness, unplug the switch wires and plug the main wiring harness wires together..........

#49 ·
Thought I would add my $.02. I have an 05 and this past weekend I was out in the dunes and it wouldn't start when I was in gear clutch in but would start in neutral no problem and ran fine. I got it home and started wiggling wires around. I wiggled the electrical connection that goes in to the clutch and it would start in gear clutch in. I followed the wire down and it wengt into a white plug that looks just like the picture on the first page. I attempted to take the connector off from the clutch area and broke it. I figured oh well I don't need it anyway. I took the wire all the way out and unplugged it........ same problem wont start in gear clutch in. I stripped the 2 wires and twisted them together and now it will start at any time in gear clutch in or out. I called the so called "Yamaha Dealer" near my house and asked him if the 05 had a PB sensor he said he had never heard of such a thing. I told him I know they are on 01-04 for sure he acted like I was speaking Chinese. He said the only electrical connections on that side of the handlebars are the starter/ kill switch and the clutch sensor. My clutch sensor connection is now borken and it's gonna cost me $35 to get a new one from the Stealer. So for the record THERE IS NO PB SENSOR ON AN 05. Hope that helps some in the future.

#52 ·
I hear that!!

#53 ·
Im pretty sure an 05 does have the parking brake sensor, pointless for Yamaha to put it on 01-04 and take it off in 05 when they actually redesigned the parking brake so it WORKS. Ask anyone on here with an 01-04 Raptor and I can bet 95% never use the parking brake OR it doesnt work. If you are unsure where your parking brake or clutch sensors are, dont mess with the wiring. With 01-04 you just unplug the sensor to bypass, people with 05s havent really said anything about this since its not a big problem because of the redesign. There is really no reason to bypass the clutch sensor unless you need to remove it for a new perch setup, the only thing bypassing the clutch sensor does is make the CDI think the clutch is always in, and there is really no benefit to being able to turn it over in gear with the clutch engaged. Also, I know the CDI tracks the RPMs and will notify you when you are revving the engine too high in neutral, I am not sure if it also does anything about RPMs when it knows the clutch is disengaged which if you unplug the sensor....it will think the clutch is always disengaged.

If you unplug the sensor and it runs differently, plug the sensor back in, if it still runs differently then you have some other type of problem. If you want to experience what happens when this sensor malfunctions, put your parking brake on(with sensor still plugged in) and try to run/move your atv and you will see why it is advised to bypass this sensor so you do not have this problem while riding. I honestly believe if the 700 did not come out so soon, Yamaha should have done a recall on the sensor/perch design. This can pose a very big problem when jumping and hill climbing when throttle control is a major part of whether you make it or wreck.

Remember, there is no replacement for common sense...if you unplug it and it runs worse, and when you reconnect it and it still runs bad...well obviously its not the sensor at fault. This sensor is very simple, it either works or it doesnt and there is a major difference in the way it runs(you wont even be able to move the quad) when it fails.

#54 ·
I'm 100% positive that there is no PB sensor on the perch on my 05. There is not even a place for it to go. The only electrical connections that are on the left side of the handlebars is the clutch sensor and the ignition electronics. The clutch sensor connects to an identical white plug as the PB sensor pictured in this thread. When unplugged it always thinks the clutch is disengaged and will only start in neutral. I took the broken cable and spliced the two wires together and it thought the clutched was always closed and would start in gear clutch out. I have since replaced the clutch sensor and all is good.

#55 ·
Still having problems with engine cut-out

I just read through your complete thread and over and over the same resolution comes to removing the PB sensor. I removed it and I am still seeing the same problem. I was not sure to hook up the 2 wires or leave them disconnected. I tried both and it still gives the sames result. The engines starts, idles and when you push on the throttle it sputters out. I noticed willy's response and he said that you did not need to connect the wires. So right now that is where I am. PB sensor is out, wires are disconnected.

Any other suggestions?

I guess it could it be a problem with the CDI? Has anyone experience problems with the CID going bad by it thinking the sensor was always disengaged (PB brake was on) and causing the engine to cut out?

I can't imagine it is a problem with the carbs, b/c it starts and idles great. It just cuts out as soon as you give it a little gas. I even turned up the idle screw and it raises the idle with now problem. It just shuts down as soon as you hit the throttle.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I have not taken apart the carbs yet, b/c it really seems to be electrical versus gas not being delivered.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.