Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone explain how to do this? While searching, someone said remove the allen screw, warm up the muffler, and then yank on the screen.

So, which allen screw? The one on the underside of the back of the muffler--which looks like it holds nothing in place?
And, I don't really see much of any screen from the end. Where do I grab onto?

Sorry for the stupid questions, but I have my muffler off right now and would like to remove the baffle ;)

Thanks for any suggestions!

·
Registered
234 Posts
remove that little allen screw underneath, then start tuggin on that outlet peice of the muffler, it took me awhile to do too, its pretty tight in there, you gotta ride it for awile to heat it up and that will help a little bit too

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
The instructions to remove it are in the owner's manual, so we can 'clean' it - :lol:.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sparky yfz said:
The easiest way I found is take the screw out and then ride it around and you will hear when it comes out. And then just go pick it up HAHA
Okay!! That's how I'll do it then :grin_nod:

Thanks guys for the input. I searched this subject, but like I said I just didn't know which screw needed to be removed and then what to do next. I'll be working on it this weekend.

And, during my search, I did see that others' opinions on it running lean favored it to run more lean. One guy said to just remove your air filter cover :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
bahrain_raptor said:
Hi guys. If I remove it should it run lean or rice my seven is stock?
unfortunetly our yamahas will alway be rice. :grin_nod: just messing with ya. removing the SA shouldn't lean it out too bad but if you take off the lid or do anything to the airbox you'll need a programmer. Always do a plug check after making changes like that. Just to be safe.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I attempted to take mine out when it was cold and chewed up that little ass pipe they called the exhaust. I already have the gytr intake so i am going to wait till first start up this year and install a PowerCommander they have a special map for taking the spark arrestor out. Only temporary till i get the Full GYTR exhaust

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine is getting a little chewed up as well. Mainly just the small pipe, which is what is cuming out anyway. Still no luck getting it out. I tried separating the lip of the baffle from the permanent part of the pipe with a screwdriver and hammer, but ended up driving the baffle further down the pipe :help: I sprayed some WD40 onto the permanent pipe hoping I could maybe twist the baffle and pull it out, but then I gave up and decided to just let it soak for awhile--that was Wednesday of this week...

·
Registered
478 Posts
I tried pulling my spark arrestor out with anything and everything. finally hit it with some 4d-40 let it sit for about 15 minutes and then grabbed it with channel locks and twisted and pulled and it came right out. I think the wd and the twist were the keys.

·
Registered
405 Posts
so you can run your bike with the baffle out and not have to have some kind of fuel managment system

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have put more into it than my arse! I am pulling on the little 1" stubby pipe, but there is no way it's going to 'just come outta there.' I've actually clamped onto it with some vice grips, attached a ratchet strap to the grips, and with the other end of the strap to the tow bar on my pickup started ratcheting in hopes that it would begin sliding out. No avail. All this with WD-40 in the pipe and baffle. My next attempt will be with a slide hammer that I have to borrow, so it's on his time and not something I can do "right now."

·
Registered
405 Posts
wow i didnt know that. I thought you would have to get a fuel manangment system if you took it out. Does it give it some more HP?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.