Raptor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
1 1/4" or 32mm
bend the lock washer back flat agienst the sprocket and stand on the rear brake, some people also leave it in gear but I don't think that's a good idea.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your my hero member!!! Thanks alot For the valuable info saved me from going back and forth to store to guess what size to buy. Thanks for rear brake info I would`nt have knew to do that unless i had the machine in n. And if i was working on it in gear i would`nt have thought about it. Mine sure is rusted and is little over 2 years old good teeth shape going to soak it good with pb blaster a few times before attempting to remove it and hope all goes good. hmm wonder what one of these big ol sockets going to cost me.

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
I've seen someone else mention this as well...

You really need a service manual.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I did mine this weekend in about 20 minutes or so. I used a 1 1/4" socket. It was pretty easy, I took off the footrest as it was in my way and obviously you have to take off the crankcase saver as well. Then bend back the little prongs, socket the huge ass bolt and off it comes. If your going to a smaller/larger sprocket then you might have to adjust your chain. Good luck.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do i have to take off the crank saver case? are can I use a extentsion? btw I got a service manule but cant find some stuff in there like what size tools to use.

·
Registered
9 Posts
sorry guys to ask question to a old thread but i tought it was worthless to start a new one for a few question

my front sprocket is completly finish
what is the reason why they waer out?
and when i change it do i really need loose the chain or it can be done without loosing it

thanks for your time

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
GINO69 said:
sorry guys to ask question to a old thread but i tought it was worthless to start a new one for a few question

my front sprocket is completly finish
what is the reason why they waer out?
and when i change it do i really need loose the chain or it can be done without loosing it

thanks for your time
If your front sprocket is toast, your chain is probably smoked as well, and most likely your rear sprocket. To check your chain, grab it at the very back of the rear sprocket and pull it straight back. If you can see daylight between 3 or 4 teeth and the chain, it's done.

Also, you can sneak the front sprocket out without loosening up the chain. But if your chain is toast, you will just ruin another sprocket.

·
Registered
9 Posts
thanks russ for the info

i will look the chain today when i get to my father garage where my bike its stored
im really a newbie, i bought a 2004 660r used and its my first atv... so i will probably have a lot more question like this one.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
ok i did it!

it was more complicated to remove nerf bar and foot peg to reach the bolt fromt the sprocket guard!
good job that happen cause the nuts i was able to untight it with my hand!
so now i got a question. do you guys put back your sprocket guard? cause mine at the bottom its screw fine but the top one the bracket ( i think its screw either on the frame or engine) is broken, i try to put keep it in place with tail wrap but im sure it wont last

thanks you

·
Registered
9 Posts
ok i found out that the sprocket cover its called the case saver... do i really need it? cause i dont know what to do withouts the upper bolt mount missing what i can do

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
GINO69 said:
ok i found out that the sprocket cover its called the case saver... do i really need it? cause i dont know what to do withouts the upper bolt mount missing what i can do
Yes you need it, it'll be a great insurance policy.

If you've still go the OEM case saver on there with the plastic cover I'd suggest buying an aftermarket one. You shouldn't have had to remove the nerf bars and peg to get to it.

As for the broken top mount, that needs to be re-welded back on the bike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
thanks maddog for the awnser

i hope my father didnt throw the upper mount when we sweeped the floor of the garage!!! :(
it is a security for me or for the engine that case saver? it is really dangerous to not have any? cause if i dont have the upeer mount to get it welded by someone im screwd!there is other solution to my problem? im a newbie rider so im not into tricky stuff yet... probably when ill be i will have a brand new bike for that! :)

thanks to take time to awnser!

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
The case saver does what it says, protect the expensive part of the case, the part you broke needs to be fixed but will not harm the engine, the case saver keep the chain from balling up and protects the case from being broken. Yes its a necessity, dont ride without it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts