Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
By now all of us that even touch the 660 know the rear shock likes to squeak. Ive come up with a solution and here's what i did.

1. Remove the rear shock, the squeak comes from the top bearing.
A. It has two seals one on each side, then two snap rings holding the bearing in place.
2. Once you have the bearing out drill a small hole in it ( i cant remember the size i used) to allow grease in.
A. A carbide bit must be used since this is very hard, you will snap high speed steel bits all day long.
3. Next take the shock and drill a small hole to where the bearing is so grease can get to it. After you have the small hole drilled, drill another large enough and only the depth you need to tap it for a grease cert.
4. Clean install, grease then enjoy riding without the dreaded squeak squeak squeak. Place the cert in a position that allows you to access it easily without removing much.

Ive abused the heck out of this setup for 2.5 years now for those whom are worried about strength and reliability, and have had NO issues or hair line cracks.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
17,057 Posts
Stickied, thanks for the information. When I first saw the thread title I thought it was another inquiry, this will be useful for such questions. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
905 Posts
Has anyone else used one of the bolts with the grease cert in the head for this? I had a few extra from some rear link assemblies and they work pretty well...just an idea.

·
Registered
385 Posts
possibley some step by step pic or at least a few of it so we can have a better idea of wat to do and wat its supose to lok like. good write up non the less

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah i can get a pic or two on the weekend.

·
Registered
258 Posts
i have to say WD 40 lol, I sparyed the shock with the WD 40 and 2 years now i haven't had a Squeek.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I Wd-40'd my shock and it shut up for a day, then it came back lol

will try this method

·
Registered
26 Posts
dont!! drill holes in your shocks anywhere and dont use wd 40 pull your top shock mount bolt and shove some synthetic grease and it will go away

·
Registered
330 Posts
mine doesn't squeak, nor has it in the past 1 and a half years i had it. but my old warrior and shee does this, i just put some grease in it and it silences it. but this is a good write up. might do this on something i will keep for more than a couple months/years ???

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had the same annoying issue. Just backed off the nut a c-hair and no squeak. I checked the torque and it didn't even change it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
2. Once you have the bearing out drill a small hole in it ( i cant remember the size i used) to allow grease in.

Just got the shock out.. how do you remove the bearing? I'm afraid to take a flathead to it in fear of messing something up.

Any one!!? My bike is in pieces until this gets solved :(

also, I know to drill a hole into the top of the shock, but drill a hole in the bearing as well? or just the shock?

·
Registered
59 Posts
C Clip

I was at the same spot. Once you take the rubber dust cover off it will expose the inner bearing. The c clip is inside the grove and there will be an open spot you can pry it from. You need a narrow sharp object to get behind the clip with to bend it out. I used a small flat head screw driver that I ground the tip down a bit to make it very thin. Once both clips are out you can remove the bearing. The hard part now is drilling the hole. I snapped a cobalt bit so I have on order the recommend bit to try. The tough part is getting the hole started, may be good to start with a cone shaped grinding pad for the dremel or something. Good luck!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I was at the same spot. Once you take the rubber dust cover off it will expose the inner bearing. The c clip is inside the grove and there will be an open spot you can pry it from. You need a narrow sharp object to get behind the clip with to bend it out. I used a small flat head screw driver that I ground the tip down a bit to make it very thin. Once both clips are out you can remove the bearing. The hard part now is drilling the hole. I snapped a cobalt bit so I have on order the recommend bit to try. The tough part is getting the hole started, may be good to start with a cone shaped grinding pad for the dremel or something. Good luck!

can you take a pic of this?? I ended up not doing it, or just greasing the crap out of the bearing in there and the outer washers and putting it back together. That was weeks ago and no squeaks since, but I still want to put a grease cert in there at some point.

I have some Snap On bits that are pretty good... hopefully I don't snap them but I'm expecting to... not worried about it really.

·
Registered
22 Posts
a good way to start the drill bit on a hardened surface is with a center punch. make the indent then your drill bit wont wander about while trying to get it started always start with a smaller bit bit and work your way to the size you want

·
Registered
3 Posts
what about swing arm squeek does anyone know what to do to get rid of this squeek withoug changing the bushing?

·
Registered
148 Posts
what about swing arm squeek does anyone know what to do to get rid of this squeek withoug changing the bushing?
add some grease fittings there too..?

·
Registered
553 Posts
I drilled the swinger, front and rear, for zerks .... but used grease zerk bolts for the upper & lower shock and link bolts .... much easier / lazy

1 - 20 of 20 Posts