Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
ROTM Winner
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys just like the title says. How the hell do you wheelie. I mean don't get me wrong I can get the front end up but not on que and definitely not. While I'm in any other gear then first. I see all the guys how can just pop it up on command and I scratch my head. Do you load the front shocks and use the rebound to help? Do you load the rear and hammer throttle? Or do you use a clutch throttle combo? Help me out here guys. I feel inept. Lookin like a special case trying 20 times just to get the nose up nonce for a half second. Lol

·
ROTM Winner
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found one on how to wheelie a crotch rocket. Same concept? Even with the thumb throttle?

·
Coal Climber
296 Posts
don't even bother with 1st gear.. try standing up in second gear. lean back a little, do a quick stab at the gas, then punch it and wala!! while doing this always keep your foot over the rear brake incase you go beyond the balance point. try and find the balance point with the gas to achieve longer wheelies!!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Pull in clutch, rev it higher, dump the clutch, hold on and have your foot brake foot ready. Lean back when you dump the clutch if needed. Or lets build an engine strong enough to do it just with throttle! :)

·
Registered
269 Posts
I load my rear and smack the throttle and up she goes and just keep smacking the throttle to keep up and back brake if it feels like you are going to hit the back grab bar and hit the throttle again to keep it up. If you can find the sweet spot on your set up you can keep the throttle at a steady postion and keep it going with no jumping and throttle play at all. Good luck with the wheelies!

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk

·
Coal Climber
296 Posts
even chicks can do it... hahaha:wow::thumbsup:

·
Registered
610 Posts
Once you find your balance point you will wheelie for miles, I learned on a 300ex and it has spoiled me, went to a 350 warrior and the balance point on it is almost 90*, with power makes it a lot easier to wheelie I can jerk my 686 back in 2nd,3rd and 4th. Keep your foot always on the rear brake and also tire pressure has to be even or it will pull to one side or the other.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts

I was dumping the clutch in 3rd and pulling back.. my girlfriend cut the camera off on the one all the way across : / lol

·
GARAGE CULTURE
3,723 Posts
What people are not telling you is that maybe get a spare sub frame on standby! Can happen very easily. Also have a tethered kill switch attached to your arm.

Best is with low rear tire pressure and nice thick sand. That way the damage will be minimal.

I am no wheelie expert, get it right from time to time. 2nd Gear in sand, roll along, push down front and then pull back while stabbing the throttle. Try stabbing not to hard at first.

When the front wheels come up and I get to ride it out a little in 2nd gear I alway get that oh shit oh shit feeling! Still struggling to get that sweet spot called the balance point. But I dont practice wheelies too much. Too scared of falling over, hurting and damaging my bike.

·
ROTM Winner
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a tether already. A spare subframe not so much. Lol

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
You can wheelie TeenWolf, you just don't know that yet. There is a mental block in your brain that comes from fear. The fear of falling off backwards and possible hurting yourself or the quad. Just practice everyday. First gear is really touchy, so I suggest 2cnd for starters. Personally, I find it easier to learn standing up as opposed to sitting. Just keep popping it up, and use the throttle to ride it out as long as you can. As the quad falls down in the front, you will instinctively gas it to bring it back up. This method is right, but throttle only goes so far when trying to wheelie.

You have to find the balance point. It's scary at first, because when you do find it, you feel as if the quad is way too high, and about to tip over. You'll know it when you get there, because the quad feels weightless, and at this point, you are still using throttle and brake, but the main objective is to "BALANCE" yourself .

Try starting with left knee on seat. Left foot in grab bar, and right leg in straight position covering brake. May take 2 weeks, may take 2 months, but eventually you'll get it.

·
GARAGE CULTURE
3,723 Posts
^^^ Nice post!

·
Registered
3,902 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Thanks it was the e series slip on

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
3rd gear is best wheelie gear in my opinion. Let the engine rev down in third, lean back, pull up, and give it gas! Not hard just take practice

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Well you can go like I do and put a motor that is waay to big into your raptor like my zx14 motor, grab some throttle, a set of paddle tires and just hang on! The guy on the banshee was a little curious what just passed him too!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Well you can go like I do and put a motor that is waay to big into your raptor like my zx14 motor, grab some throttle, a set of paddle tires and just hang on! The guy on the banshee was a little curious what just passed him too!
I seen your videos Awesome bike!

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
That's freaking awesome haha my dad has a Polaris 330 utility quad and we will race and I'll let him get like 6 quad lengths ahead, then punch it and pass him doing a wheelie hahaha it's like the ultimate insult to a quad to pass it while doing a wheelie

1 - 20 of 20 Posts