Raptor Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've been curious if another oem carb would solve the issue I've had since opening the airbox. I made a thread about it a while back describing the problem, and I've never really been able to solve the issue. I had a lot of problems with the vitos fuel screws not letting me idle unless they were like 1/8th turn out. Anything over that and it would get rich and die. Not sure if that qualifies, but maybe we could agree that I'll clean/assemble the new carb and if it doesn't fix it then I'll send it back or offer it up to someone else?

Reactions: Sixpack577

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I've been curious if another oem carb would solve the issue I've had since opening the airbox. I made a thread about it a while back describing the problem, and I've never really been able to solve the issue. I had a lot of problems with the vitos fuel screws not letting me idle unless they were like 1/8th turn out. Anything over that and it would get rich and die. Not sure if that qualifies, but maybe we could agree that I'll clean/assemble the new carb and if it doesn't fix it then I'll send it back or offer it up to someone else?
So, tell me mods to exhaust and airbox; main and pilot jets used; type of needles and what slot; and if Vitos don't work, what stock fuel screw setting did?

Are they true Vitos or eBay equivalent?

·
Registered
123 Posts
So, tell me mods to exhaust and airbox; main and pilot jets used; type of needles and what slot; and if Vitos don't work, what stock fuel screw setting did?

Are they true Vitos or eBay equivalent?
Airbox 75% deleted with prodesign proflow filter, stock header with HMF slip on. Stage 1 hotcam. All other internals are 100% stock including compression.

Current carb settings: 160/165 mains, DJ needles 1 notch rich of center (4th clip from top), 25 pilots and OEM fuel screws around 2.5 turns out.

Regarding the vitos fuel screws, they were genuine vitos fuel screws and would not let me idle if turned more than 1/4 turn each. OEM fuel screws seem to work as intended.

I'll try my best to describe the problem. I'll be idling along in 2nd or 3rd gear somewhere around 2000rpms, quickly slam the throttle wide open for literally a second or two, quickly let off throttle and pull in the clutch, and quad will either die or idle very very low at less than 1200rpm then eventually recover to smooth idle after 5 seconds or so. If the bike is able to get into higher rpms, there is no issue with idle recovery after pulling in the clutch. If I let the quad engine brake for a second or two before pulling in the clutch, the issue does not exist.

Richening the idle circuit improves throttle response, but exacerbates the above described issue further. Leaning out the idle circuit improves the issue, but then my throttle response off idle is reduced to a pretty significant degree. Right now I feel like I've split the difference but would like better throttle response without the above issue.

This issue did not exist before I opened the airbox.

Let me know if you have any other questions or need clarification

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
So these two issues do NOT occur with the original fuel screws? I would say you got 1 or 2 bad Vitos screws... have you compared their tips and tapers to the OEMs?

·
Registered
123 Posts
So these two issues do NOT occur with the original fuel screws? I would say you got 1 or 2 bad Vitos screws... have you compared their tips and tapers to the OEMs?
The issue I described exists even with the OEM fuel screws. Using the vitos screws simply made the quad nearly unrideable.

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I have doubts whether changing the carbs will resolve your issues but what the heck... may as well try!

Send me an email address and we'll figure out how to get them to you.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have doubts whether changing the carbs will resolve your issues but what the heck... may as well try!

Send me an email address and we'll figure out how to get them to you.
Sure wouldn't hurt to try. If it doesn't fix the problem, I'll offer it back up here for someone else.

Email: [email protected]
Thanks!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Man, you guys are missing out!! I cant wait to dig in to these and have em looking nice and ready for jetting then install! Thanks again QM!!

·
Registered
2005 Raptor 660 (bored to 672)
16 Posts
Good day.

I just recently purchased and rebuilt a Raptor 660. My friend (who sold me the 660 with engine problems) bought another 660 that looks to have Chinese Carbs on it. He is struggling to idle without choke (even when warm). From the pics he sent, it looked like the fuel bowls were perfectly cleaned on the inside (mirror finish) and you can see the light through all of the jets (both pilots, both mains and the starter jet. They are clean). The side cover under the throttle housing (on the left side of the carb) was probably not cleaned. I am not sure if that part has been cleaned as it houses a diaphragm of some sort (You can’t get a screw driver in there to open it without completely disassembling the carbs and removing the throttle pivot housing (not sure what you call it) or you can by using a pair of pliers - not the best but I was successful with mine and on a time crunch). My question is what does it do? What circuit is it part of? After cleaning it on mine, it looked like the passages had something to do with the choke or starter circuit or the air jet? Not sure.

I am from South Africa, so not sure whether the second carb is still available? And whether it will be worth it as shipping charges can be expensive as I would like to help my friend.

But other than that, I am looking for a new stator (for my quad, any advice is appreciated) as the windings give different measurements. I unplugged the Regulator/Rectifier and measured between the three white wires 21V, 13V and 9V with the quad idling - From what I read they have to be the same voltage (~20V for each coil). I haven’t checked the diodes in the Rectifier/Regulator yet (I am hoping that they are not broken as the battery does not get recharged). But when I found out that the stator is toast and a new one costs R6200.00 brand new from Yamaha ($436), I was quite shocked. I did not think they were that expensive, or is that the going rate in America for an OEM one too?

Then I also want to find out whether DynoJet still sells the Jet Kits? A shop here said that they stopped exporting them, so when I save up for an exhaust, I want to jet it, will probably have to pay shipping if they still sell them?

But at the moment I am enjoying the power of the quad, I finished the top-end rebuild 3 weeks ago and I have really gotten to experience the thrill and I understand the reason why so many love big bore machines.

My apologies for asking everything in one post as I just joined, not sure how to start a new thread, will figure it out later if I don’t come right, but I wanted to pick your brain QuadManiac as I have read multiple posts from you and they have really helped. (I guess I wanted some advice from an experienced rider who knows what he is talking about :cool: )

Kind Regards
Dion

·
Registered
123 Posts
Good day.

I just recently purchased and rebuilt a Raptor 660. My friend (who sold me the 660 with engine problems) bought another 660 that looks to have Chinese Carbs on it. He is struggling to idle without choke (even when warm). From the pics he sent, it looked like the fuel bowls were perfectly cleaned on the inside (mirror finish) and you can see the light through all of the jets (both pilots, both mains and the starter jet. They are clean). The side cover under the throttle housing (on the left side of the carb) was probably not cleaned. I am not sure if that part has been cleaned as it houses a diaphragm of some sort (You can’t get a screw driver in there to open it without completely disassembling the carbs and removing the throttle pivot housing (not sure what you call it) or you can by using a pair of pliers - not the best but I was successful with mine and on a time crunch). My question is what does it do? What circuit is it part of? After cleaning it on mine, it looked like the passages had something to do with the choke or starter circuit or the air jet? Not sure.

I am from South Africa, so not sure whether the second carb is still available? And whether it will be worth it as shipping charges can be expensive as I would like to help my friend.

But other than that, I am looking for a new stator (for my quad, any advice is appreciated) as the windings give different measurements. I unplugged the Regulator/Rectifier and measured between the three white wires 21V, 13V and 9V with the quad idling - From what I read they have to be the same voltage (~20V for each coil). I haven’t checked the diodes in the Rectifier/Regulator yet (I am hoping that they are not broken as the battery does not get recharged). But when I found out that the stator is toast and a new one costs R6200.00 brand new from Yamaha ($436), I was quite shocked. I did not think they were that expensive, or is that the going rate in America for an OEM one too?

Then I also want to find out whether DynoJet still sells the Jet Kits? A shop here said that they stopped exporting them, so when I save up for an exhaust, I want to jet it, will probably have to pay shipping if they still sell them?

But at the moment I am enjoying the power of the quad, I finished the top-end rebuild 3 weeks ago and I have really gotten to experience the thrill and I understand the reason why so many love big bore machines.

My apologies for asking everything in one post as I just joined, not sure how to start a new thread, will figure it out later if I don’t come right, but I wanted to pick your brain QuadManiac as I have read multiple posts from you and they have really helped. (I guess I wanted some advice from an experienced rider who knows what he is talking about :cool: )

Kind Regards
Dion
The second carb was just sent out to me, but it's unknown if another oem carb will solve my problems. My guess is it will fix it, but I could be wrong. If my issue isn't fixed, I'll report back and QuadManiac can decide who gets the carb. Stay tuned, and hopefully I'll have something to report sometime next week.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The second carb was just sent out to me, but it's unknown if another oem carb will solve my problems. My guess is it will fix it, but I could be wrong. If my issue isn't fixed, I'll report back and QuadManiac can decide who gets the carb. Stay tuned, and hopefully I'll have something to report sometime next week.
Thanks, I'm hopeful for your part. Enjoy the weekend.

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Dion, if MD finds that my carbs don't resolve his problems he mat pass them along as he chooses... But since you are next in line I would suggest that it be to you!

Reactions: Mdwilson2011

·
Registered
16 Posts
Dion, if MD finds that my carbs don't resolve his problems he mat pass them along as he chooses... But since you are next in line I would suggest that it be to you!
Thanks QuadManiac, appreciate it. I hope MD gets it sorted:)(y)(y)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thanks QuadManiac, appreciate it. I hope MD gets it sorted:)(y)(y)
So I dug into the carbs and had it assembled and ready to go, but there's a problem. Looks like a piece of the choke mechanism is broken off and completely stuck in the choke. I put some effort into it but it doesn't seem to be going anywhere. Also, on the throttle housing the part where the cable threads into is missing, and I don't want to go yanking mine out since you can't thread it out. The spring for the throttle cable cam also has no tension, not sure if it got jostled around in shipping or what the deal is there.

If @QuadManiac wants to send it your way and you're willing to try and fix the issues/ pay for international shipping, then I'll send it your way. Or @Sixpack577 might have more tools/expertise to get some of those issues fixed.

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Ooh sorry... Md. As I said, I bought those parts on eBay many years ago and haven't looked at 'em since. I'll refund your shipping and you all figure where to go from here.

Usually when the choke plunger gets stuck - apply penetrating oil, let sit for a few hours, use needle nose or small hemostat (or a tap threaded into the center of the piston) to grab and twist gently... slowly working out the corrosion. Repeat over and over - with patience, sometimes days worth, it usually comes out.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Ooh sorry... Md. As I said, I bought those parts on eBay many years ago and haven't looked at 'em since. I'll refund your shipping and you all figure where to go from here.

Usually when the choke plunger gets stuck - apply penetrating oil, let sit for a few hours, use needle nose or small hemostat (or a tap threaded into the center of the piston) to grab and twist gently... slowly working out the corrosion. Repeat over and over - with patience, sometimes days worth, it usually comes out.
Don't worry about refunding shipping, ain't no big deal and you do a lot for this community, so don't sweat it. I'll wait and see if dion still wants it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Don't worry about refunding shipping, ain't no big deal and you do a lot for this community, so don't sweat it. I'll wait and see if dion still wants it.
Thanks for the info MD. I would still like to have them please. Will try to disassemble the carbs and see whether the Chinese parts can replace the broken parts that you mentioned MD. (Build a functioning carb out of two broken ones).

Considering that the I am not sure how the shipping works (do I organise it from here? Or will you organise it from your side MD? Or does QuadManiac have the carbs?)

Here is my email so long, to speed up the process as we are in different time zones:unsure:: [email protected]

And thanks for the opportunity QuadManiac, hopefully it all goes to plan as summer is around the corner. I can’t wait to go riding again.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just bought a 02 that was supposed to only need a starter clutch and has been a money pit ever since. When I bought it I didn’t realize it had Chinese carbs on it. This machine is making me realize why people just buy new machines because the hidden problems add up so quickly. I am definitely on the market for a set or oem carbs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the opportunity @QuadManiac, I'm going to make another plan. International shipping is just too expensive - I can get second-hand OEM carbs for less than the price of international shipping for the free carbs from @Mdwilson2011

I just bought a 02 that was supposed to only need a starter clutch and has been a money pit ever since. When I bought it I didn’t realize it had Chinese carbs on it. This machine is making me realize why people just buy new machines because the hidden problems add up so quickly. I am definitely on the market for a set or oem carbs.
Speak to @Mdwilson2011 as he has more info on the carbs that @QuadManiac sent him. Best bet would be to post your email or to start a private conversation with him.

Regards
Dion

21 - 40 of 40 Posts