Raptor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Raptor660 limited edition
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a big Crescent pipe wrench and tighten so far and then it's like he comes off the thread I tightened it down by hand and put the set screws in any ideas also to I want to change my carrier bearing can I just buy the assembly save me from pop and bearings out and installing new bearings

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I put a big Crescent pipe wrench and tighten so far and then it's like he comes off the thread I tightened it down by hand and put the set screws in any ideas also to I want to change my carrier bearing can I just buy the assembly save me from pop and bearings out and installing new bearings
And sorry I'm voice texting LOL

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have seen ‘loaded’ carriers for sale that have bearings already installed. When I read about some of them not being the correct length and causing problems I opted to pull the bearings out of mine. As far as the crescent wrench there is a torquing procedure where you torque to specified values. If your crescent wrench hand is out of calibration you could damage the bearings or shorten their life span. The fork adapters with a 1/2” square for the torque wrench was on egay. Rockymountain had the bearing puller.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And sorry I'm voice texting LOL
I have seen ‘loaded’ carriers for sale that have bearings already installed. When I read about some of them not being the correct length and causing problems I opted to pull the bearings out of mine. As far as the crescent wrench there is a torquing procedure where you torque to specified values. If your crescent wrench hand is out of calibration you could damage the bearings or shorten their life span. The fork adapters with a 1/2” square for the torque wrench was on egay. Rockymountain had the bearing puller.
Yes I get it but it tightens so much then slips like the splines on the axle are stripped or the nuts them selves. Anyways it all has to come apart to see what's the case. Then I will get the proper wrench. And the torque is like 175 ft pounds and I never cranked on it like that. I stated it will not tighten at all. Thanks for the input I will order bearings and new axle with new nuts and Bob's your uncle 😀
I am checking now for that fork adapter and bearings puller now.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I am pretty sure this is the wrenches I bought.
  1. I used the Tusk blind bearing remover tool from Rockymountain. I can’t find it on their website now. Measure the inside diameter of those bearings as I can’t remember if the kit came with the correct size collet or if I had to order the right size collet separately. Either way the kit is available on egay and bezos-amazon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Expert Reply: The nut on the spindle should be tightened until snug, with no side-to-side play in the hub and then backed off slightly, about maybe a 1/8 of a turn.

Does axle nut need to be torqued?

Proper torque is critical for two reasons. First, it secures the axle nut so it won't work itself loose and back off. Second, the proper torque keeps the correct load on a hub assembly needed for longer bearing life. Torque specifications can be different, even for the same hub, if it's multiple applications.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts