Raptor Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Your description above sounds like what happens when one of the electrical nannies is kicking in. To tell if you are in fact starving for fuel, give it a shot of carb cleaner when you go to rev it. If all of the sudden it revs, then I’d say you are in fact starving for fuel. If it still pops etc, then I’d say an electrical nanny is kicking in. At least you are one step closer!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I'm not sure what the nannies are but I disconnected the parking break and clutch sensor. While running, I removed the reverse sensor plug which instantly demonstrated that wasn't the problem.

Here is a video that I just loaded to try to show my problem. Basically if I barely touch the gas up to, maybe less than a 1/4 throttle it sounds good and idles good. Then as I push, I feel resistance then if I push through the resistance it revs up really high quickly. If I hold the throttle, right at the spot where the resistance is, it just sputters and breaks up then wants to stall like it did on the video. I feel pretty confident it's a carb issue. I actually took it down the street and if I keep on the gas it flys!
Video:
Raptor 660 hesitation

·
Registered
58 Posts
If I remember right, you don’t just unplug the reverse sensor. You have to provide a ground back. I think to the green wire. Been a while but Raptor reverse limiter bypass should have the specifics on google. And while giving it gas just like you did in vid, give it a small shot of carb cleaner to feed it fuel at that moment and see if it revs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I unplugged it and plugged it back in but didn't change anything. I'm afraid to spray anything, had a pretty crazy experience the other night lol. It backfired and caught on fire in my garage 😳 Luckily I had a fire extinguisher nearby and didn't blow anything up, including myself. But, I did get to spend the rest of the night cleaning white powder everywhere. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
58 Posts
With the airbox off you should be able to see both slides moving up as you are giving it gas. So long as they are both moving like they should be, and you can you can see the fuel spraying up through the nozzles then start working on your jetting. With your configuration I’d be starting with say a 170 175 or better. The last one I worked on had a similar setup as yours and was even fatter jetting than that. bump up from whatever you have now and see if it improves and you’ll know if you are going the right direction. You really need to start checking the plug too. When it’s too fat on the jetting you’ll get black smoke under load. Running great doesn’t necessarily mean your jetting is perfect either. You could be on the lean side and not realize it till you pop a piston. Only way to know is to read the plug. Best to start on the rich side and work your way downward from there. God knows you’ll be REAL good at swapping jets by the time you get it right. The mentioned dynojet needles mentioned above were a game changer too but even without those you can get it decent.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I just adjusted the fuel screws, and definitely on to something! I was actually able to ride it and rode good except some breaking up in the midrange and stalled when coming to a stop.

I started at 2-1/2 turns out on both. I'd say I'm closer to 3-1/4 on the left carb and 3 on the right.

Current jets are: 160/165 with 25 pilots & needle in 3rd position.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Those jets are a pretty good starting point. Note that to get the real adjustments you will need to put the airbox on. You have to read that plug (start with a new one) to make sure you are not lean. You can’t make a call on fine tuning without your airbox. It will do weird things like you just described.

·
Master of the Electron
15,334 Posts
With the airbox stock your main jet numbers are very close to correct (but you must then test with it installed and intact) - are you running 25 pilots?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Well, I finally got it running great! After putting in the oem CDI, 165/170, 25 pilots and had to drop the needles down to 4th clip. The only thing I noticed that I can't figure out is after I get on it and slow down to a stop sometimes it'll just stall. Almost like the idle is to low. The RPM's drop below where it's set to idle and stalls. Otherwise, it runs great and suoer fast!

You guys totally rock and have been a huge help and I thank you!!

21 - 34 of 34 Posts