Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I did any reading I went out and bought the big gun CDI box and the monster coil. both claiming to give 3-5 hp I was thinking it was a good buy. am I a sucker :3question:

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
CoalShedRacing said:
the extra 1000 rpms
Probably not a whole lot of bikes using these boxes that can rev that high in any gear anyway. Never could get a piped bike to hit the oem limiter, or one with a stage 1 cam. Only when I got the stage 2 and that was not very often and only in 1st and 2nd.

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
firstraptor said:
Would you put the coil on first and test it? Be intrested to know if it makes a difference in starting and running.
I'm wondering if there's a difference in ease of starting. I've got a cheap Pro-com and an OEM lying around and while it's cold I should do a comparison test. :sherlock:

·
Super Moderator
17,062 Posts
firstraptor said:
I'm having a heck of a time getting mine to fire up in this cold. Guessing you're seeing something simillare?
Bought a new AGM battery and I've still got to pull-start it the first time every day. 11:1 compression and a manual decomp release and it's like I'm starting a 14:1 450.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I've been pulling the flywheelnut cover and turing the motor past TDC and cranking the piss out of it. New battery myself and a tender left on it. Warmer today, have to see what the weekend brings and if it's still uncooperative.

Yr660, you put that new coil on yet?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will be putting it on tonight. I had the front end off to replace the ball joints and the crappy tie rods. I will put the coil on first, but I live in southern california and it is 72 degrees here right now I have never had a problem starting my bike. Hey maddog can you put an 11:1 in by it's self or do you have to change the cam also? I talked to my buddy here who races his raptor and he said the cdi box made no differance. SO any body want to but a big gun over rev for their raptor?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Yr, you can do the 11:1 without the cam. If your going to change a piston the bore should be measured before you bother to order the piston to be sure the cylinder is still round. There can also be issues with piston to cylinder clearance. If our motor has some hours on it, it may be time for a bore job anyway. Always a good excuse for an upgrade.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Its real easy to justify it to myself,..the wife on the other hand requires extensive manipulation, hours of begging, and convincing! :lol:

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I hear that :grin_nod:

rt I see your having a motor built by csr they are here in bakersfield where i live.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
rt said:
Its real easy to justify it to myself,..the wife on the other hand requires extensive manipulation, hours of begging, and convincing! :lol:
Yup, leveraging the fun tickets from the other half is the hardest bit of any upgrade.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts