Raptor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I HAVE GYTR EXHAUST AND WILL BE REMOVING AIR LID.....I HATE TO ASK FOR A STARTING POINT....BUT.....I WILL BE INSTALLING IT TONIGHT AND DON'T WANT THE FRUSTRATION OF TRYING TO FIGURE OUT SETTINGS......

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I WILL GIVE THAT A TRY......INSTALLING TONIGHT, WE'LL SEE WHAT HAPPENS

·
Registered
841 Posts
Dobeck reccomends 3:30-7:30-3-9 for a starting point...try it and the one MaxxRPM gave ya once the first one is dialed in leave it and the last on 9 like he said also just adjust the 2nd and 3rd pots

·
Registered
899 Posts
Hi Bill,
What I have seen since we developed the kit in 2005 is that the 9:00
position worked very well for general trail riding. But I have seen from are
9:00 to almost 3:00 depending on the modifications. Yamaha could of done
some fine tuning to there mapping that would also affect how the TFI
see's the main jet fuel. There's also manufacturing differences on Yamaha's
side and ours.
The settings that you ended up at should work very well. I do have one
question when you were checking to see when the red light came on, was it in
natural or while riding? It doesn't hurt to do it both ways.

Thanks
Matt

Matt, I checked for the red light while it was in neutral. My local guy gave my a setting they used on a 700r with similar mods as mine and they used a 4 O'clock setting on the RPM pot........which made my red light flicker at idle and when I would give throttle they all shined , puff some smoke and bog, this was all in neutral. On 7 is seemed very crisp and responsive and the red light kicked in a little before 3/4 throttle. On the test ride it seemed very responsive, pulled hard and I didn’t feel flat anywhere but I didn’t torture it to bad yet. Sounds like I'm ok at 7, just wanted to confirm with you since you suggested the setting of 9 in the paperwork I got with it.

Thanks for the info
Bill
You got it, that's how I would of done it.

Matt

This is an E-Mail exchange between Dobeck and myself........Don’t always go 9 on the RPM pot....My Red "main jet" light never came on at 9 until it was bouncing off of the rev limiter.

·
Registered
200 Posts
oli700 said:
Don’t always go 9 on the RPM pot....My Red "main jet" light never came on at 9 until it was bouncing off of the rev limiter.
I taped my Dobeck to the gas tank to see what was actually happening with the lights. Your absolutely right. My red light pretty much wasn't even coming on at 9. I spent yesterday doing a little tuning and came out with the exact same settings as Sik runs........4-7-8-7. I've tried these settings before and it felt too rich BUT I had my TPS set to the higher spec then at .73 volts(back when I had to replace it). After resetting my TPS to the lower spec at .63 volts, it seems to run much better at these settings. I can't positively say that it runs much faster (if any) but it was running a little on the lean side before.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
My settings in my post are good for me for 1000 feet elevation or less, like when I ride pismo, but up at about 4500 feet it gets fat in low rpms, Im gonna test out 3,6,8,7 tomarrow for up there, it still runs great when I open it up.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Ive got to agree with Sikraptor on this 9 isnt always the best way to go. I am running about 7 on the last pot now. I noticed that the red light never kicked on with it set to 9. I finally got my tuned right , but always find time to fine tune it.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't understand what lights are or are not supposed to come on when tuning, maybe I am just stupid!!!!!!! What lights are supposed to come on when adjusting?

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I installed it the other night and tried to tune it by ear...seemed to lose power, but after watching the video I understand now......I will try again tonight and post the results tomorrow.....Thanks for the video

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.